Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Metacharacters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Metacharacters Post 16665 by regencyabs on Tuesday 5th of March 2002 05:21:49 PM
Old 03-05-2002
Metacharacters

I want to display an asterisk to the screen as part of a string. I know how to use the Backslash to escape it's value. But how do I display it without showing the Backslash?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using metacharacters in loops

Is there a way to use metacharacters in a loop or in an if. I want to allow a user to enter Y, y, Yes, yes, Yah, etc... in a loop I tried: read response while *" ] do........ and while *" ] do ......... this works for grep or egrep but not in loops Why?????? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stuck on csh metacharacters

Hello, I have a question, please (I am using tcsh). I thought that if you enclose something in double quotes, then the shell won't interpret it. For example, when I do: % echo "ls *" I get ls * However, if I do: % echo "!l" I get echo "ls -F" ls -F (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A1977
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Metacharacters analysis

:confused:Hi , Can someone please advise what is the meaning of metacharacters in below code? a_PROCESS=${0##*/} a_DPFX=${a_PROCESS%.*} a_LPFX="a_DPFX : $$ : " a_UPFX="Usage: $a_PROCESS" Regards, gehlnar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gehlnar
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing string which includes metacharacters

I'm trying to create a bash script that takes a URL as one of its arguments like this: ./script.sh http://url.cfm?asdf&asdf=234 variable=$1 echo $variable I'm having trouble storing the URL because it contains the meta character "&" which is being interpreted... thus when I run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kds1398
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

use metacharacters to extract date

If I have a filename as filename.txt.20090807 and I use for FILE in `find . -name "filename*" -type f` do my_time=${FILE#./filename.txt.} I get my output as 20090807 However if my filename is filename.Y20090807.txt Is there a way I can use metacharacters in my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The ll command + metacharacters

Hello. I am learning how to use Unix through an online course. Unfortunately the text that we use isn't very good, so I could use some help with a pretty basic question. Use metacharacters and the ll command to list all filenames under the datafiles directory that contain a dot "." with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feverdream
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

metacharacters separation

I have prepared a script to submit a string in a txt file. However there are somethings that I have to check before submitting the string in the txt file. One of those checks is to determine whether the string entered contains any metacharacters. I have tried sth like; echo "string" | grep -v ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozum
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display types of files using metacharacters

1) I want to display all the files in a directory that start with the word chapter, are followed by a digit 1,2,6,8, or 9 and end with .eps or .prn so I came up with this file ~/temp/chapter.eps ~/temp/chapter.prn but is there a better way, i.e. combining both file types into the command? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunsta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping metacharacters in paths for a shell command

I have a file which contains a list of paths separated by a new line character. e.g /some/path/to/a/file.png /some/path to/another/file.jpeg /some path/to yet/another/file Notice that these paths may contain metacharacters, the spaces for example are also not escaped. If I wanted... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Vs. Bourne REGEX: metacharacters escaping

I am currently reading a very old reference from O'Reilly: Sed and Awk 2nd Edition reprinted in 2000. So far, it's a solid read and still very relevant. I'd highly recommend this to anyone. The only problem I have with this book is that I had to resort to bourne shell to get my examples to work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ConcealedKnight
3 Replies
show_mouse(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					       show_mouse(3alleg4)

NAME
show_mouse - Tells Allegro to display a mouse pointer on the screen. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> void show_mouse(BITMAP *bmp); DESCRIPTION
Tells Allegro to display a mouse pointer on the screen. This will only work if the timer module has been installed. The mouse pointer will be drawn onto the specified bitmap, which should normally be `screen' (see later for information about bitmaps). To hide the mouse pointer, call show_mouse(NULL). Warning: if you draw anything onto the screen while the pointer is visible, a mouse movement interrupt could occur in the middle of your drawing operation. If this happens the mouse buffering and graphics drawing code will get confused and will leave 'mouse droppings' all over the screen. To prevent this, you must make sure you turn off the mouse pointer whenever you draw onto the screen. This is not needed if you are using a hardware cursor. Note: you must not be showing a mouse pointer on a bitmap at the time that the bitmap is destroyed with destroy_bitmap(), e.g. call show_mouse(NULL); before destroying the bitmap. This does not apply to `screen' since you never destroy `screen' with destroy_bitmap(). SEE ALSO
install_mouse(3alleg4), install_timer(3alleg4), set_mouse_sprite(3alleg4), scare_mouse(3alleg4), freeze_mouse_flag(3alleg4), show_os_cur- sor(3alleg4), exmouse(3alleg4), expal(3alleg4), exshade(3alleg4), exspline(3alleg4), exsyscur(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 show_mouse(3alleg4)