Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bridging with SSH Tunnels
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Bridging with SSH Tunnels Post 16647 by auswipe on Tuesday 5th of March 2002 04:00:08 PM
Old 03-05-2002
Very good then. I will have to play with it tonight or tomorrow night. Right now, the OpenBSD box does a great job as a firewall and router. It has been a while since I have done any port forwarding that I will have to get back up to speed.

I figured the problem may not have been SSH Tunnel related but rather IP routing. You have confirmed my thoughts.

SSH Tunneling is really cool though. I just learned about it and wanted to apply it in a "real world" situation to get some experience and this seemed like a good enough task.

Thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

problem with bridging!!! :(

Hello, I have an UTM that has 4 ports. I was bridged two ports of it. my pc wired to one port and other one to network. Now I can ping my default gateway but it doesn't work(I haven't access to internet) even http of gateway, what happened? what route I should added? Thanks in advance.:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Sharing ssh tunnels between users

userA and userB are two non-root accounts on HP-UX box. userA creates ssh tunnel (local forward) to some different host. Will userB be able to use that tunnel? What about remote forward? If not, what OS mechanism will prevent it from happening? Unfortunately I am unable to create this setup at this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkleban
0 Replies

3. Solaris

openindiana bridging problem (brctl)

Hello all, I was trying to hooking up several computers into my openindiana server box, the server box has few RJ45 gigabit ethernet. The desired hierarchy of the network will be shown as on the picture attached. I would like to connect each host into my gigabit ethernet because of me and my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: enno
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

Linux Bridging, Wireless AP, IPv6 multicast and autoconfiguration.

Well I cannot be too certain of the setup, since it's a stock firmware, but I have a cheap Belkin wireless-n router and wanted to get some ideas of what may be going on while I've a few moments to ramble on about my problems... I requested the GPL source so I've just been pondering while waiting to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

Bonding of IP tunnels

Hello. Our Company is spreaded over Germany. There are main offices an branch offices. These offices are mostly connecte via multiple sdsl. We build a IPSEC VPN Infrastructure using Aastaro Security Gateways appliances. It seemed that only one VPN Connetion between to offices could be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mschwadorf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh = ssh expect and keep everything not change include parameter postion

I have write a script which contains ssh -p 12345 dcplatform@10.125.42.50 ssh 127.0.0.1 -p 5555 "$CMD" ssh root@$GUEST_IP "$CMD" before I use public key, it works well, now I want to change to "expect", BUT I don't want to change above code and "parameter position" I can post a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Ssh script to validate ssh connection to multiple serves with status

Hi, I want to validate ssh connection one after one for multiple servers..... password less keys already setup but now i want to validate if ssh is working fine or not... I have .sh script like below and i have servers.txt contains all the list of servers #/bin/bash for host in $(cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeram4
3 Replies

8. Programming

Bridging Talk

Hi! I would like to start creating a bridge for good old Unix talk program. This bridge would allow you to joinIRC-channel by using talk just for example. I have a couple of questions: 1. Are there any previous attempts or implementations creating Talk bridge? 2. Which version of the talk... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: homebeach
9 Replies
IRDPD(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IRDPD(8)

NAME
irdpd - internet router discovery protocol daemon SYNOPSIS
irdpd [-bsd] [-U udp-device] [-I ip-device] [-o priority-offset] DESCRIPTION
Irdpd looks for routers. This should be a simple task, but many routers are hard to find because they do not implement the router discov- ery protocol. This daemon collects information that routers do send out and makes it available. At startup irdpd sends out several router solicitation broadcasts. A good router should respond to this with a router advertisement. If a router advertisement arrives then no more solicitations are sent. The TCP/IP server has filled its routing table with the info from the advertisement, so it now has at least one router. If the advertisement is sent by a genuine router (the sender is in the table) then the irdpd daemon goes dormant for the time the advert is valid. Routers send new adverts periodically, keeping the daemon silent. Otherwise irdpd will listen for RIP (Router Information Protocol) packets. These packets are sent between routers to exchange routing information. Irdpd uses this information to build a routing table. Every now and then a router advertisement is sent to the local host to give it router information build from the RIP packets. Lastly, if a router solicitation arrives and there is no router around that sends advertisements, then irdpd sends an advertisement to the requestor. Note that this is a direct violation of RFC1256, as no host is supposed to sent those adverts. But alas the world is not always perfect, and those adverts make booting hosts find routers quickly with this help from their brothers. (Of course, they will lose the router soon if they don't have an irdpd daemon themselves.) OPTIONS
-b Broadcast advertisements instead of sending them to the local host only. This may be used to keep (non-Minix) hosts alive on a net without adverts. -s Be silent, do not send advertisements to hosts that ask for them. -d Debug mode, tell where info is coming from and where it is sent. Debugging can also be turned on at runtime by sending signal SIGUSR1 or turned off with SIGUSR2. -o priority-offset Offset used to make the gateway's preferences collected from RIP packets look worse than those found in genuine router adverts. By default -1024. SEE ALSO
set_net_default(8), boot(8), inetd(8), nonamed(8), rarpd(8). BUGS
Under standard Minix this daemon can't listen to two both IRDP and RIP at the same time, so it starts out with IRDP. It switches over to RIP if it can't find a router, or if it threatens to lose its router. It does not switch back. Irdpd may help a host that should not be helped, i.e. if it doesn't have an irdpd daemon with RIP collecting trickery. It will make System Administrators pull out their remaining hair trying to find out why a host can access outside networks for a some time after boot, but goes blind afterwards. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) IRDPD(8)