Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mounting vfat...
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory mounting vfat... Post 16579 by dimanise on Monday 4th of March 2002 11:27:18 PM
Old 03-05-2002
Data still not exactly...

Ok, now it is somewhat better, but still there is a problem. I have this line now in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda6 /windows vfat auto,user,uid=300,gid=300

On load the permissions of most of the files and directories on the partition are rwxr-xr-x, which is probably what i would want to have. But if i need a file with rwxrwxrwx permissions i can't somehow do that. With command chmod +w filename it doesn't change anything. if i remove w access to a file and then do the above command again it only puts the w on the user (rwxr-xr-x) and not the group or for all users.

Is there a way of somehow change that?

P.S. I'm on Red Hat Linux 7.1 on P4 1.5GHz

And thanks again!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Newbie: RH Linux: Mounting vfat as readable

Hi there! I have a question about mounting a file system as readable. I have the following line in my fstab for that purpose: /dev/hda1 /mnt/nt vfat defaults 0 0 It mounts the filesystem but I can only read from this, not write :( what do I have to change to make it readable? TIA! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting help.

Hello, I am trying to mount a second scsi hard drive on a SCO box. (5.0.5.) And I can't figure out what the device file for it is so I can mount it. Can anyone help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iconn
1 Replies

4. Solaris

mounting windows(vfat) file system

how can i mount windows file system into solaris using vfstab or mount command. also please tell me how to display the partition information. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajoy patel
1 Replies

5. BSD

Mounting

Hi I mounted disk which have two partition C: , D: ( i am not sure if both partition have same file system) with this commad: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 /mnt/windows but this is mounted only first partition with fat file system. ( in windows XP C: ) How can i mount another partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper007
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

rdiff-backup using escape codes on vfat thumbdrive

I thought it may be nice to use rdiff-backup to backup my websites to a thumb drive. But all the capital letters are substituted with octal escape codes. How can I over come this? There are no issues backing up to another ext3 drive. The source drive is ext3 the thumb drive is vfat mounted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikemc
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting

I generally use mount many times to mount an iso image or as a bind between directories or mounting a squash file system. Y does one require root permission to do a mount --bind between two of his own directories or just mount an iso/squash image in directory he owns? Also I wish mount had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting

I have a big confusion in mounting........so please tell me whats the exact meaning of it nd do other os have this concept or not? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
8 Replies
mounting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       mounting(7)

NAME
mounting - event signalling that a filesystem is mounting SYNOPSIS
mounting DEVICE=DEVICE MOUNTPOINT=MOUNTPOINT TYPE=TYPE OPTIONS=OPTIONS [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The mounting event is generated by the mountall(8) daemon when it is about to mount a filesystem. mountall(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before proceeding with mounting the filesystem. The DEVICE, MOUNTPOINT, TYPE and OPTIONS environment variables contain the values of the fstab(5) fields for this mountpoint. EXAMPLE
A tool that should be run before mounting the /var filesystem might use: start on mounting MOUNTPOINT=/var task SEE ALSO
mounted(7) virtual-filesystems(7) local-filesystems(7) remote-filesystems(7) all-swaps(7) filesystem(7) mountall 2009-12-21 mounting(7)