Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Force Password Change...RedHat 7.1 Post 15955 by LivinFree on Friday 22nd of February 2002 01:12:13 AM
Old 02-22-2002
After you set them up, you could use the "chage" command to set their last password change back to the beginning of time... (1970-01-01). I suppose they'd have to have password expiry turned on first though... You could have their password expire in some ungodly amount of time that they'll never encounter, though.

I think I've only used linuxconf once, so I don't know if you can do it through there (I stopped using it because it broke stuff when you changed something manually, and in later linuxconf).

Hope someone else can come up with a better idea than that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I force my Linux RedHat to recognize my modem??

yeah, I tried basically everything I can find from reading books and asking people but I haven't gotten it to work. is there anything else that can be done. I mean, this internal modem I got is like the last thing I expected Linux not to find (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Force to change to a different password

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc worstation, I am able to change my password to same existing password. That is, right now my password is abc, and I change it with "passwd" command and change it abc again. It will accept. How can I make it such that it will not accept same password?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

RedHat 9 Force full duplex

All, I have a RedHat 9 box which I need to figure out how to get it to stay in full duplex mode after a reboot. I have tried ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off I have tried to add a line to the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 like this: ETHTOOL_OPTS="speed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server wide password enforcement rules? 90 day force change.

Using Solaris 9 and 10. What we want to do is set up global rules for our password files to restrict all users, not only new ones set up with the rules but also the ones that have been sitting on the system for years. Is there a global way to force all users to change their password every 90... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(shell script)

hi How can I force user to change of password by modifying the password expiry and the grace period so that the user has at least 1 week to login and change the password...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

force to change password(by modifying /etc/shadow)

hi by modifying /etc/shadow how can I Force a change of password so that user has at least 1 week to login? I did it by using: echo "enter username to force password change" read user; chage -M 7 $user; How can I do it by modifying /etc/shadow?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to force a user to change the password

RHEL 5 update 4. How to force a user to change the password at his next logon. Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to change the password of root in redhat 6.

I have logged into single user mode and whenever i issue passwd root nothing happens the cursor simply returns back without asking new password. what can be issue? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

password change for user on Redhat 5.6

Hi expert, after creating users on Redhat, i wantn to change their password with something that easy to remember and the way we use. For example #passwd username hello$123 it don't allow me. It may has something to do /etc/pam.d/filesXXXX there which i don't know to change to allow root... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

10. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
userdel(1M)															       userdel(1M)

NAME
userdel - delete a user login from the system SYNOPSIS
alternate_password_file] login DESCRIPTION
The command deletes a user login from the system by modifying the appropriate login related files. The command requires the login argument. login is the name to be deleted, specified as a string of printable characters. It may not con- tain a colon or a newline Refer to usergroupname(5) to understand the functionality changes with the Numeric User Group Name feature. Options recognizes the following options: The home directory of login is removed from the system. This directory must exist. Following the successful execution of this command, none of the files and directories under the home directory will be available. If a user is deleted and the home directory is shared by others, then this directory is not deleted even with the option. Force the changes, even if the login is currently in use. Specify that the changes are being made to the alternate password file of NIS specified by the option. The and options should not be used with this option. Specify the path of the alternate password file of NIS. The option is used with the option. In the event where a directory is shared by users of the same group and the owner of that directory is deleted, then the ownership of that directory is propagated to the next user who is sharing that directory. The new owner is determined by looking at the order in which the users sharing this directory are added to the file. If there is only one user remaining then the directory is brought back to unshared mode by resetting the permissions to from NIS This command is aware of NIS user and group entries. Only local users and groups may be deleted or modified with this command. Attempts to delete or modify NIS users or groups will result in an error. NIS users and groups must be administered from the NIS server. The com- mand may fail with the error (return value 6) if the user specified is an NIS user (see passwd(4)). The error (return value 10) is returned if a local user belongs to an NIS group (see group(4)). NFS Errors may occur with the option if the affected directory is within an NFS mounted file system that does not allow root privileges across the NFS mount, and the directory or files within the directory do not have sufficient permissions. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: Successful completion. Invalid command syntax. Invalid argument supplied to an option. The login to be removed does not exist. The login to be removed is in use. Cannot modify the file, but the login was removed from the file. Unable to remove or modify the home directory. Unable to open file or file is non-existent. file or file busy. Another command may be modifying the file. Cannot delete entry from file. Out of memory. Invalid template file. EXAMPLES
Remove the user from the system: Remove the user from the system and delete home directory from the system: WARNINGS
Because many users may try to write the file simultaneously, a password locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. FILES
Shadow Password file System Password file System group file Lock file used when updating password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), users(1), groupadd(1M), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), logins(1M), useradd(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), passwd(4), shadow(4), user- groupname(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
userdel(1M)