Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: arithmetic problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers arithmetic problem Post 15747 by inquirer on Tuesday 19th of February 2002 05:10:17 AM
Old 02-19-2002
Question arithmetic problem

i am used to making scripts for hp-ux. but lately i tried to make some for solaris. the problem is that when i tried to execute it it gave me an error the "let: not found". why is that? how can i perform an arithmetic function in the solaris shell script?

thanks Smilie
inquirer

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arithmetic syntax

okay, I'm a complete beginner, and I keep getting stuck on the syntax here. I want to write a script where I read the current time as minutes and seconds, convert the minutes to seconds, and add the two, then redirect the output to a file. the command takes two arguments, which will also be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paprbagprincess
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic In UNIX

I am a beginner and I have been searching the web all morning for this answer but can't find it anywhere. I know that prtint 1*2 will return 1*2 what if i actually want the problem to be calculated so i want print 1*2 to return 2 How is this done? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tygun
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in arithmetic operations

hello all, i am having a variable with a value of 0000010000 and if i add the variable with some no: suppose i=0000010000 n=`expr $i + 1` echo $n the output i am reciving is 10001 .it deletes all the zeros but i need result as 0000010001.. please help me... thanks in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ithirak17
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use wc -l with arithmetic expression?

Folks, I am wondering that i can use something like this in one line. For example, $((cat filename > wc -l) / 2) It doesn't work; how to get it work using command substitution? Moreover, is there any option for wc -l not to return filename after the line counts? wc -l filename would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalelle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in script involving month arithmetic

advance happy new year to all, i am having a script.The purpose of the scripts is as follows.If the current month is march,june,september or december ,inc_flg should be set to '1' otherwise inc_flg should be set to '2' month= date +"%m" if || || || ; then inc_flg = 1 else ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajarp
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic: how to??

Hello all, I'd like to know how to perform arithmetic on multiple files. I have got many tab-delimited files. Each file contains about 2000 rows and 2000 columns. What I want to do is to to sum the values in each row & column in every file. The following explains what I want to do; ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
9 Replies

7. Programming

Pointer Arithmetic In C

I have a fundamental question on C pointer arithmetry.. Suppose i have a c string pointer already pointing to a valid location, Can I just do a charptr = charptr +1; to get to the next location, irregardless if my program is 32 or 64 bits? or should i do it this way: charptr =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leion
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Arithmetic Problem with shell script programming.

Hello everybody, I decided to take a Unix Introduction class and have never had experience with programming. Everything was fine until recently when the Prof. started shell scripting and he wants us to make a small script to add unlimited numbers from arguments and from standard input. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Florinel76
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)