Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Distributed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Distributed Post 156 by Neo on Wednesday 1st of November 2000 06:49:46 PM
Old 11-01-2000
If the name of the file you are looking for is 'foo' (for example) you could find it by trying this command:

find / -exec grep foo {} \;

There are other ways to check for the location of files in the filesystem which are not in your path environmental variables. The example above is just one way.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Creating a Unique ID on distributed systems

Hi, How do you actually create a unique ID on a distributed system. I looked at gethostid but the man page says that its not guaranteed to be unique. Also using the IP address does not seem to be a feasible solution. Is there a function call or mechanism by which this is possible when even the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pic
4 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

Grid vs. Parallel vs. Distributed

Hello all, I was wondering if someone could either explain or maybe point me to another article somewhere that explains the difference between: distributed computing grid computing parallel computing I see these terms thrown around a lot in server and cluster environments, but I'd like a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heathe_Kyle
2 Replies

3. Programming

Distributed Automation kill()

Ok, so Ive been stumped by this problem for the last 3 days, and my exploration is reaching its limitations... The key idea is that at any moment in time, the automation controller could theoretically have any number of threads open to any number of node machines running any number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

distributed filesystem over internet/VPN

On this forum was already posted similar question, but it was 4 years ago and didn't give me answers. I have two groups of engineers that works in far locations connected via VPN. Physically, the connection is a DSL. Currently we have a linux server in one location that provide files over... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Domino
4 Replies
FINDRULE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       FINDRULE(1)

NAME
findrule - command line wrapper to File::Find::Rule USAGE
findrule [path...] [expression] DESCRIPTION
"findrule" mostly borrows the interface from GNU find(1) to provide a command-line interface onto the File::Find::Rule heirarchy of modules. The syntax for expressions is the rule name, preceded by a dash, followed by an optional argument. If the argument is an opening parenthesis it is taken as a list of arguments, terminated by a closing parenthesis. Some examples: find -file -name ( foo bar ) files named "foo" or "bar", below the current directory. find -file -name foo -bar files named "foo", that have pubs (for this is what our ficticious "bar" clause specifies), below the current directory. find -file -name ( -bar ) files named "-bar", below the current directory. In this case if we'd have omitted the parenthesis it would have parsed as a call to name with no arguments, followed by a call to -bar. Supported switches I'm very slack. Please consult the File::Find::Rule manpage for now, and prepend - to the commands that you want. Extra bonus switches findrule automatically loads all of your installed File::Find::Rule::* extension modules, so check the documentation to see what those would be. AUTHOR
Richard Clamp <richardc@unixbeard.net> from a suggestion by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Richard Clamp. All Rights Reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Find::Rule perl v5.16.3 2011-09-19 FINDRULE(1)