Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can I copy files and subdirectory? Post 15560 by ober5861 on Friday 15th of February 2002 02:14:04 PM
Old 02-15-2002
go to your command line and type:

man tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files in directory and its subdirectory

I am writing a script which reads a file line by line and then assigns it to a variable like this 1090373422_4028715212.jpg. I have images with file name of this format in some other directory. In my script I want to assign variable with this file name and then find this filename in some other... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotib
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Question]How to copy files to all subdirectory

I want to copy php.ini to all subdirectory. what command that should i run? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzufauzan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files in every subdirectory

Hi if anyone could help me :) I did a lot of search and 70% of answer is "how to count files in all subdirectories". A basic problem for me is how to count files in every subdirectory separately then sort it by number of files For example: dir1 file1 file2 subdir11 dir2 dir3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yorryk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to deleting some files under subdirectory

Hi guys, sorry if my english not very well.. i have a problem.. i have a file and the structure is : Folder/ Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200807 Folder/10.123.124.20/pm_data/A200808... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AdziE
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search text in files within the subdirectory

Hello, I am trying to write a shell script to search for a pattern in the directory and show only one entry for each field, essentially I am looking to search for a pattern in a file and list that file name. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move all files in a directory and subdirectory?

I'm trying to organize my MB Pro by moving all my jpeg files to a single folder from the desktop. There are some on the desktop that are not in any folder. I was at the command line and typed mv *.jpg "Jpeg files" but it only moved the files that were on the desktop, not any of the ones that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Listing files in subdirectory

Forgive me if there is an answer to this somewhere in the forums. I've gone through as much as I could but couldn't find a relevant answer. What I'm trying to do is use the ll command to list some files in a subdirectory that matches a certain format. I've tried ll *.*a* <subdirectory> but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archaic
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Find files in subdirectory?

I am trying to find all DAT files in a subdirectory named IN. I do not know the entire path. For example: /stage/<?>/<?>/IN/file.DAT I am using the find command without success: find /stage -name IN -a -name '*.DAT' -print What is the correct logic and syntax? Thank you for the help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TwinGT
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying Multiple Files into a Subdirectory

Hello, I'm very new to scripting languages and I'm to use shell script to write a utility to backup files with a specific extension into a subdirectory. Here is what I have done. #!/bin/bash read -p "Enter file(s) extension: " FILE if ; then mkdir `whoami`.$FILE #To... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: alphanoob
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy non-empty files into subdirectory

How to Copy non-empty files into subdirectory I have directory A there are bunch of files: a.txt a.txt.target b.txt b.target.txt....... How can i find out the non-empty file within *.txt.target and copy them into a subdirectory B? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
2 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)