Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to create a simple todo file? Post 15448 by sierra_aar on Thursday 14th of February 2002 06:24:07 AM
Old 02-14-2002
Question How to create a simple todo file?

Hia all,

I am trying to create a simple script, that will keep me a todo file/log.
The idea is to have to scritps, one to enter a new todo file, one to delete (it can be one with different inputs, but this is not the point)

e.g.
> newEntry Call_home
- will add a new line to the log like that: - Call_home [TIME_STAMP]

>delEntry Call_home
- will update the current task's indicator to +

There are many more things I can think off, but this is for starters.

My Question is:
1. I have tcsh, where can I learn how to do what I want. (sites with examples are preferable)
2. If you can post a snipplet, that would be great.

thanks,
MeSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying simple commands to create a script

Can anyone direct me to a resource that explains scripting in simple terms? I have visited many sites and browsed this forum and have yet to find simple explanations. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocinante
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create an run a simple batch file?

Hi, So, I created a file named TEST.BAT in my home directory. In it, I wrote: #! /bin/bash echo Hello and then, saved the file. Then, at the command-line interface, I typed TEST.BAT, but the command-line never executes the file and thus, never returns "Hello". It says "command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create new simple System Call.

Hello to all! I am new with unix and i need your help to make something.. First of all i want to inform you that i am working under the Minix 3 OS. What i want to make is, a new system call in terms of the process manager. This system call should take an integer as a parameter (input) and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kostis1904
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to create folders

Hi I want to write a small script that will create folders named from `AAAA' all the way to `ZZZZ'. That is: `AAAA' `AAAB' `AAAC' ... `AABA' `AABB' `AABC' ... `ABAA' `ABAB' `ABAC' ... `ABBA' ... `ZZZZ' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to create a simple background script on Solaris

I have a local account for a unix server. The idle timeout for the account is around 10 mins. I have to login to the server multiple times during the day. Is there a way to increase the idle timeout or may be a script that I can run on background so it is not idle. Something like echo date every 9... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinaysa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple shell script to backup

Hello - I am in process of deleting many files which are older than 4 weeks. For example I am inside: /subsystem/prod/ Files are with various extentions, but anything older than 4 weeks should be deleted. What would be the most simplest script to acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a simple copy script?

Guys I want to do this: copy: /var/router/system1/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system2/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system3/config/backup/install.put /var/router/system4/config/backup/install.put into: /var/router/system1/config/install.dat... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create simple script

Dear all, I have a directory named A and some subdirectories named B, C, D with .xml files. I want to use the following command to strip the file. sed -re ':start s/<*>//g; /</ {N; b start}' file.xml > file.xml At the same time, I want to remove the blank lines using sed '/^$/d' How can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: corfuitl
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create a simple bash backup script of a file

This is the problem: Write a script that will make a backup of a file giving it a ‘.bak’ extension & verify that it works. I have tried a number of different scripts that haven't worked and I haven't seen anything really concise and to the point via google. For brevity's sake this is one of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demet8
4 Replies
msynctool(1)							       Sync							      msynctool(1)

NAME
msynctool - Command line interface for OpenSync SYNTAX
msynctool option [arguments] [option] msynctool --sync SYNC_GROUP DESCRIPTION
Command line interface for OpenSync You can use this tool to synchronize your devices and applications using the OpenSync framework from the command line. - First you have to create a SYNC_GROUP: msynctool --addgroup evo2-sync - Now you have to add the members to this group. (2 at least) Note: The first argument to the --addmember command is the group to which you want to add a member, the second argument is the name of the plugin to add. msynctool --addmember evo2-sync evo2-sync msynctool --addmember evo2-sync file-sync - The next thing you have to do is to configure the plugins. msynctool --configure evo2-sync 1 (configures the first group member) msynctool --configure evo2-sync 2 (configures the second group member) - Now your group is ready for usage! msynctool --sync evo2-sync OPTIONS
--listgroups Lists all groups --listplugins Lists all plugins --listobjects Lists all objtypes that the engine understands objtypes: contact, data, event, note, todo --showformats objtype Lists all formats that a objtype can have --showgroup groupname Lists all members of the group --sync groupname Sync all members in a group --filter-objtype objtype Filter out objtype For example, the following syncs only contacts: msynctool --sync evo2-sync --filter-objtype event --filter-objtype note --filter-objtype todo Note: if you use "--filter-objtype data" it syncs nothing !? --slow-sync objtype Perform a slow-sync of all members in the group [--wait] Don't immediately start to sync, but wait for a client to initialize the sync [--multi] Repeat to wait for sync alerts --addgroup groupname Add a new group --delgroup groupname Delete the given group --addmember groupname plugintype Add a member to the group --configure groupname memberid Configure a member. memberid as returned by --showgroup [--manual] Make manual engine iterations. Only for debugging [--configdir] Set a different configdir than ~/.opensync [--conflict 1-9/d/i/n] Resolve all conflicts as side 1-9 wins, duplicate, ignore, or keep newer ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
OSYNC_TRACE When you want to provide trace files please turn on tracing like this: export OSYNC_TRACE=/path/to/log/dir When you run some opensync commands now, opensync will generate a couple of Thread*.log files in this directory. You can exclude sensitive data in the trace files with: export OSYNC_PRIVACY=1 SEE ALSO
convcard(1),file-sync.conf(5) AUTHORS
This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux project by Matthias Jahn <jahn.matthias@freenet.de>. But it may be used by other distributions. msynctool was written by Armin Bauer and the OpenSync project Armin Bauer 0.19 msynctool(1)