Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NFS server problems [merged]
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users NFS server problems [merged] Post 15409 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 13th of February 2002 05:44:21 PM
Old 02-13-2002
Another problem that could cause NFS to be VERY busy - core files from users - our site has a network GUI that they seem to be able to crash very easily - since they could create core files, the file would be created on their home directory (on another server via NFS). This can keep the NFS server so busy (with just one core file) that it will start giving the same error.
thehoghunter

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO NFS problems

Hi, I've got a really old system we use for call logging. The OS is SCO 3.2 uname -a output SCO_SV bts7053 3.2 2 i386 the problem we are having is that its no longer doing its backups. The original problem was the tape drive, which has been replaced twice now. Because the company are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johno12345
1 Replies

2. Linux

NFS Server FC7 Solaris client problems!

Hi, my problem is that I am not able to grand the nfs directory on a Fedora 7 server to a standard solaris client. I always got the messages no permission. Important: No change on the client (Solaris) is possible! So I am not able to change the NFS Version on the client side to force the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NFS Problems

I am having a really bad day today. I am trying to get an nfs mount to work. I want to have a mount from machinea:/home going to /home on machineb. I can mount machinea:/home on any mount point EXCEPT /home and see the files. I can not see the files or list the directory (it hangs) when I mount... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbathrick
17 Replies

4. Debian

NFS problems (Debian)

I'm trying to share some directories with NFS among Debian machines. In order to do so, I installed nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server on the server machine. It seemed that starting portmap daemon lasted a long time and I get the following messages in /var/log/messages: Jan 30 18:18:03 masternode... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: bellman
26 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

6. AIX

NFS mount problems on AIX

Hi, I have two machines (AIX) each on a different VLAN. Need to mount a filesystem using nfs on the other one. When I export the nfs file system its a breeze. But when I try to mount it on the other machine the smitty command hangs on "running" and i get an OK from smitty but with this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixromeo
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

NFS problems

Hi All, I hoping someone can help me get my NFS working properly. I don't know why I'm having little issues... Overall, NFS is working, therefore, the problem may not be with NFS. I can ssh to remote nodes and view NFS shared directories (/home). Here is the problem, when on a node and I open a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bic121
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Memory problems in NFS client server

Hi all, i have some doubts in a situation that i fail to get an answer in Google. I have a solaris 10 nfs server and 5 centos 6.0 nfs clients. The problem/situation is that in the clients the free memory is "disappearing" along the time (passing to used)..and it gets free if i umount the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blast
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX NFS Server and NFS Client

Hi 2 ALL, try to run NFS Server in AIX 7.1 : 1. Step by step on NFS Server node mkdir /tmp/test chgrp staff /tmp/test chmod 775 /tmp/test-- create export directory (fs) mknfsexp -d /tmp/test -t ro exportfs -va show mount -e :/# exportfs -av exports: 1831-187 re-exported /tmp/test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
4 Replies
showmount(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      showmount(8)

NAME
showmount - Shows remote NFS compatible mounts on a host SYNOPSIS
showmount [-adeT] [-t nnn] [host] FLAGS
Lists all mount points in the form: hostname:dirpath. In this form, hostname is the name of a client that has remotely mounted a directory from an NFS server, and dirpath is the directory that has been mounted. Lists only directories that have been remotely mounted by clients. Shows host's exports list. Specifies an infinite timeout. The default timeout value is 25 seconds. Specifies a timeout value, in sec- onds. The default timeout value is 25 seconds. The default value for host is the current hostname. DESCRIPTION
The showmount command shows status information about the NFS server on host. By default, it prints the names of all hosts that have NFS file systems mounted from the server host. See NFS: Network File System Protocol Specification, RFC1094, Appendix A for a detailed description of the protocol. NOTES
The mountd daemon running on the server only has an idea of the actual mounts, since the NFS server is stateless. showmount will only dis- play the information as accurately as the mount daemon reports it. The default timeout value of 25 seconds can be too brief to read and verify an export list. If you receive timeout messages when using the showmount -e command, use either the -T or the -t options to increase the timeout value. FILES
Specifies the command path Contains a table of local file systems mounted by remote NFS clients RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: mount(8) Daemons: mountd(8) Files: mountdtab(4) delim off showmount(8)