Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming executing a program within a program Post 14680 by thalex on Tuesday 5th of February 2002 04:53:28 AM
Old 02-05-2002
$ man exec
or execv etc

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing the su command from a java program.

Say in unix (AIX) m/c, I am logged in with s1 user and want to start process p1 with user credentials of s2. I can do manually in this way: #su - s2 #enter password for s2> somePassword $ p1 But all this I have to do through a java program. How to pass the password through program. One... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shailendrat
1 Replies

2. Programming

Executing an .ec program in different informix versions

Hi all, I tried writing an .ec program connecting to informix database from solaris platform Sun 5.7 informix version that i had to used when i compiled the program was 9.21.UC3 the binary when i ported solaris box with informix version 9.40.UC5 i am unable to run that i am encountering... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
0 Replies

3. Programming

after executing execvp()... program hangs up

Hi , I m actually trying to implement pipes program,but after executing the execvp(),my program is getting hanged up :mad: Actaully i m getting the desired output expected from execvp()...but once results are displayed on the output screen ,program is getting hanged up values of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crab
3 Replies

4. Programming

Trubble in executing the cpp program...

I wrote a code like this....... #include <iostream> #include <stdio.h> #include <mysql.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> using namespace std; #include "Connection.h" int main() { char *Host = (char *)"localhost"; char *Database =(char *)"sachin"; char... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ps_sach
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to know the size of the program currently executing in memory

hey everybody, i am currently working on solaris 10 os on a m5000 server. my problem is when i want the exact size of a program in execution, i am unable to do it. earlier i thought the RSS field of prstat but because of its large size it cant be the size. pmap -x shows some output but it includes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryansheikh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a Java Program

I am entirely new to shell scripting and would like to create a script to execute a java program called Main. I've already compiled it and placed the .java and .class files at /root/javaTest. Next I made a shell script that simply contained: java /root/javaTest/Main . I made the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypnotic_meat
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing WIN32OLE program

Hello, Please help me out to execute this perl program: #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use Win32::OLE qw(in with); use Win32::OLE::Const 'Microsoft Excel'; $Win32::OLE::Warn = 3; # die on errors... # get already active Excel application or open new my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing a different program

What system calls or commands do I need to use in order to execute a different program from an already running process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justOne21
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Program Not Executing On Linux with KSH

Overview: I have an AWK program that parses thru a database backup server log file and outputs ths following parameters SRNO DATE : TIME SIZE IN(KB) DATABASE NAME DUMP TYPE 1 May 16 2012: 13:30:00 6874 TestDB database 2 May 16 2012: 13:30:44 11462 master database Problem: This program has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JolietJake
5 Replies

10. Programming

Error in executing the C program

Hello Friends, I have written a code for the unisex bathroom which makes a policy that when a woman is in the bathroom only other women may enter, but not men, and vice versa. This program consists of four functions which a user defines but these functions are not properly working while... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Tej
4 Replies
EXECL(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  EXECL(3)

NAME
execl, execv, execle, execlp, execvp, exec, execve, exect, environ - execute a file SYNOPSIS
execl(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn; execv(name, argv) char *name, *argv[]; execle(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0, envp) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn, *envp[]; exect(name, argv, envp) char *name, *argv[], *envp[]; extern char **environ; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the execve system call. Refer to execve(2) for a description of their properties; only brief descriptions are provided here. Exec in all its forms overlays the calling process with the named file, then transfers to the entry point of the core image of the file. There can be no return from a successful exec; the calling core image is lost. The name argument is a pointer to the name of the file to be executed. The pointers arg[0], arg[1] ... address null-terminated strings. Conventionally arg[0] is the name of the file. Two interfaces are available. execl is useful when a known file with known arguments is being called; the arguments to execl are the char- acter strings constituting the file and the arguments; the first argument is conventionally the same as the file name (or its last compo- nent). A 0 argument must end the argument list. The execv version is useful when the number of arguments is unknown in advance; the arguments to execv are the name of the file to be exe- cuted and a vector of strings containing the arguments. The last argument string must be followed by a 0 pointer. The exect version is used when the executed file is to be manipulated with ptrace(2). The program is forced to single step a single instruction giving the parent an opportunity to manipulate its state. On the VAX-11 this is done by setting the trace bit in the process status longword. Exect is not available on the PDP-11. When a C program is executed, it is called as follows: main(argc, argv, envp) int argc; char **argv, **envp; where argc is the argument count and argv is an array of character pointers to the arguments themselves. As indicated, argc is convention- ally at least one and the first member of the array points to a string containing the name of the file. Argv is directly usable in another execv because argv[argc] is 0. Envp is a pointer to an array of strings that constitute the environment of the process. Each string consists of a name, an "=", and a null-terminated value. The array of pointers is terminated by a null pointer. The shell sh(1) passes an environment entry for each global shell variable defined when the program is called. See environ(7) for some conventionally used names. The C run-time start-off routine places a copy of envp in the global cell environ, which is used by execv and execl to pass the environment to any subprograms executed by the current program. Execlp and execvp are called with the same arguments as execl and execv, but duplicate the shell's actions in searching for an executable file in a list of directories. The directory list is obtained from the environment. FILES
/bin/sh shell, invoked if command file found by execlp or execvp SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), environ(7), csh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the file cannot be found, if it is not executable, if it does not start with a valid magic number (see a.out(5)), if maximum memory is exceeded, or if the arguments require too much space, a return constitutes the diagnostic; the return value is -1. Even for the super- user, at least one of the execute-permission bits must be set for a file to be executed. BUGS
If execvp is called to execute a file that turns out to be a shell command file, and if it is impossible to execute the shell, the values of argv[0] and argv[-1] will be modified before return. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 4, 1987 EXECL(3)