Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wall
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers wall Post 14459 by sshokunbi on Thursday 31st of January 2002 07:54:10 PM
Old 01-31-2002
(I guessed as much that that is what you want). You may not worry about terminals that are not logged on since you want them logged off.

However, if you could write a small 'cron' message that would be executing the time you want users logged off, it may solve a bit, but a terminal has to logg on to receive the message allthesame.

Sola

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wall commands

I would like to know when using the wall command can I send a message to a specific user that is logged in. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nascar.fan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wall and rwall commands

let's say in my office i have 20 networked sun boxes named host1 through host20. i am currently logged in as root at some random machine, which we will say host13 for this scenario's sake. now, is there any way i can send a text message of some sort over the whole network to all logged in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using the wall or write cmd

Hi all, i'm trying to generate a "pop up window" incorporating either the write or wall command or both. Is such a thing possible ? thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

4. Fedora

wall and write commands are not working

hi friends i am using fedora linux operating system on the server and two clients(with windows os) are connected to it(server ).but here wall and write cmds are not working to send messages from one system to another system . pls help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar_vitam
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fire wall Check

Is Proxy IP detectable in Firewall??? Can we monitor the Proxy IPs too?? If it is possible then explain me the procedures and How it will. . . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adhi
0 Replies

6. SuSE

Wall execution problems from cron

So I've been tasked with creating a shell script to run in a cron every few minutes to check duplex settings on my eth0 nic card. I would like for the server to send a wall message to whoever is on the console or in a terminal session. Below is what I have so far. 0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lutador72
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Cyber wall? just for me?

I do have a question about the great cyber wall of certain countries, like the UK for example. For years I just fetched once a week a public podcast that recently answered "notukerror", by chance I read just this weekend on slashdot about this topic. Does this mean the efforts enhanced by the EME... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
4 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Up Against a Brick Wall with Cyberspace SA and Unity3D

Well, it's not working out.... ! After spending over a year coding in C# and Unity 3D creating a new way to visualize cyberspace, I recently purchased a fully maxed out 12-core CPU MacPro with 64 GB of RAM so I could gain performance by utilizing the 12-cores (24 virtual cores) waiting for Unity... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
COMSAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 COMSAT(8)

NAME
comsat -- biff server SYNOPSIS
comsat DESCRIPTION
The comsat utility is the server process which receives reports of incoming mail and notifies users if they have requested this service. The comsat utility receives messages on a datagram port associated with the ``biff'' service specification (see services(5) and inetd(8)). The one line messages are of the form: user@mailbox-offset[:mailbox-name] If the user specified is logged in to the system and the associated terminal has the owner execute bit turned on (by a ``biff y''), the offset is used as a seek offset into the appropriate mailbox file and the first 7 lines or 560 characters of the message are printed on the user's terminal. Lines which appear to be part of the message header other than the ``From'', ``To'', ``Date'', or ``Subject'' lines are not included in the displayed message. If the user specified is logged in to the system and the associated terminal has the group execute bit turned on (by a ``biff b''), two bell characters (ASCII 07) are printed on the user's terminal. If mailbox-name omitted, standard mailbox assumed. FILES
/var/run/utx.active to find out who is logged on and on what terminals /var/mail/user standard mailbox SEE ALSO
biff(1), inetd(8) HISTORY
The comsat utility appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The message header filtering is prone to error. The density of the information presented is near the theoretical minimum. Users should be notified of mail which arrives on other machines than the one to which they are currently logged in. The notification should appear in a separate window so it does not mess up the screen. BSD
January 21, 2010 BSD