Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting decision, case, it then else? Post 14375 by LivinFree on Thursday 31st of January 2002 05:38:40 AM
Old 01-31-2002
Really? Hmm, well, perhaps you could do it a similar way:

db_tmp=`db2 "get instance"`
db_name=`echo $db_tmp | awk -F": " '{print $2}'`

Then, either do this:
cd /top/$db_name/apps/log/

or this, if the above doesn't work:

case $db_name in
db2q) cd /top/db2q/apps/log/ ;;
db2u) cd /top/db2u/apps/log/ ;;
*) echo "Eek." ;;
esac

I'm not saying that you're doing it wrong - I guess I just feel uneasy with grepping a string out of a file... I usually try to touch the disk as little as possible in a small script.

Hmm, what do you think about this:

db2 "get instance" | grep "db2q" >/dev/null 2>&1
case $? in
0) cd /top/db2q/apps/log ;;
1) cd /top/db2u/apps/log ;;
*) echo "This should never happen." ;;
esac

That way is very similar to how your are doing it now, and I find case statements a little cleaner than if statements, but that's just my opinion.

Well, I hope this is helping at least a little...

It just goes to show how many ways there are to accomplish a task in Unix!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert upper case to lower case in ascript

I have a package to install and the installation script which does it . The files/directories names in the script are all lower case but the actual package has everything in upper case - file names, directories . I don't want to rename directories and files in the package - it has a lot of them . ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vz6zz8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Convert Upper case to Lower case

Hi All I have a script which extracts values from a Database (A persons name) and puts it into a variable in my script IE: $NAME However the Value in the DB is all in uppercase and contains the users first name and last name EG: > echo $NAME GRAHAM BOYLE > What I need is only the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data array needs to change upper case to lower case

Hi all, i have a data array as followes. ARRAY=DFSG345GGG ARRAY=234FDFG090 ARRAY=VDFVGBGHH so on.......... i need all english letters to be change to lower case. So i am expecting to see ARRAY=dfsg345ggg ARRAY=234fdfg090 ARRAY=vdfvgbghh so on........ If i have to copy this data in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute

Hi I want to make string substitution ignoring case for search but respecting case for subtitute. Ex changing all occurences of "original" in a file to "substitute": original becomes substitute Origninal becomes Substitute ORIGINAL becomes SUBSTITUTE I know this a little special but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmchen
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion from Upper Case to Lower Case Condition based

Hello Unix Gurus : It would be really appreciative if can find a solution for this . I have records in a file . I need to Capitalize the records based on condition . For Example i tried the following Command COMMAND --> fgrep "2000YUYU" /export/home/oracle/TST/data.dat | tr '' ''... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsbiju
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change first letter of a word from lower case to upper case

Hi all, I am trying to find a way to change first letter in a word from lower case to upper case. It should be done for each first word in text or in paragraph, and also for each word after punctuation like . ; : ! ?I found the following command sed -i 's/\s*./\U&\E/g' $@ filenamebut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgi58
7 Replies
Launch(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Launch(3)

NAME
Mac::Apps::Launch - Mac module to launch /quit applications SYNOPSIS
use Mac::Apps::Launch; my @apps = qw(R*ch Arch MPGP); my $path = "HD:System Folder:Finder"; LaunchApps([@apps], 1) or warn $^E; # launch and switch to front LaunchApps([@apps]) or warn $^E; # launch and don't switch LaunchApps($app, 1) or warn $^E; # launch and switch to front LaunchSpecs($path, 1) or warn $^E; # use path instead of app ID QuitApps(@apps) or warn $^E; # quit all @apps QuitAllApps(@apps) or warn $^E; # quit all except @apps IsRunning('MACS'); # returns boolean for whether # given app ID is running SetFront('MACS') or warn $^E; # set Finder to front Hide('MACS') or warn $^E; # hide Finder Show('Finder', 1) or warn $^E; # show Finder (1 == use name) DESCRIPTION
Simply launch or quit applications by their creator ID. The Finder can be quit in this way, though it cannot be launched in this way. This module is used by many other modules. This module as written does not work with MacPerls prior to 5.1.4r4. "Hide" and "Show" do not currently work on Mac OS X. Apps that don't have signatures under Mac OS X currently aren't handled, except with LaunchSpecs(). "SetFront" and "IsRunning" can take a four-char creator ID ('MACS'), a bundle ID ('com.apple.Finder'), or a path (/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app). They both optionally take a second parameter which affirms that the data is indeed a path (for those rare cases where a path might possibly look like a creator ID or bundle ID ... you never know). "IsRunning" will return the PSN of the application if it is running, which you can then use for targetting the app, or converting to a PID (with "Mac::Processes::GetProcessPID()"), to send signals to it. EXPORT
Exports functions "QuitApps", "QuitAllApps", and "LaunchApps", "IsRunning", "LaunchSpecs", "SetFront", "Hide", "Show". AUTHOR
Chris Nandor <pudge@pobox.com>, http://pudge.net/ Copyright (c) 1999-2005 Chris Nandor. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2007-01-03 Launch(3)