Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with security
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with security Post 14350 by nemex on Wednesday 30th of January 2002 02:48:04 PM
Old 01-30-2002
Need help with security

Hi there thanks for checking in.

I run a helpdesk with about 500 users login onto a network
and then onto a Unix box.

Sometimes people use other people's login's.:-(
All user's use there own PC.( I.P )
Is there a way that when somebody logs onto the unix box with a different I.P that the the system with e-mail me the I.P address
So that i can find the people who are doing this, which creates problems.

i'm thinking along the lines of a script that runs every 10-20 min's
in the background that uses the files in /var/adm/history

etc.

When you do a

who -u ( for the first time ) sleep 1000
root pts/tCe Jan 30 11:59 1:32 15442 000.00.000.000
helpdesk pts/tCe Jan 30 12:05 0.23 23633 196.13.235.333

who -u (for the Second time)
root pts/tCe Jan 30 11:59 1:32 15442 000.00.000.000
helpdesk pts/tCe Jan 30 12:05 0.23 23633 196.13.235.555

then it should pick up
That user "helpdesk" is not log onto 196.13.235.333 and it should E-mail me the I.P 196.13.235.555 including the User name that is supposed to log unto the unix box from that PC.

Please inform me if the above is unclear.

Thanks in advance

Nemex

PTS_SLEEP(1)						       AFS Command Reference						      PTS_SLEEP(1)

NAME
pts_sleep - Pauses for a few seconds SYNOPSIS
pts sleep [-delay] <# of seconds> [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts sl [-d] <# of seconds> [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts sleep pauses for a specified number of seconds. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, although from the command line it's essentially equivalent to the sleep command. It is intended for use in interactive mode to pause for a few seconds between batch commands to allow the Protection Server to catch up. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts sleep command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts sleep takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> sleep 5 pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_SLEEP(1)