Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers format and pkginfo -l question Post 1433 by 98_1LE on Tuesday 6th of March 2001 03:52:59 PM
Old 03-06-2001
Hey no need to apologize for anything. I appreciate the fact that you share your knowledge/experience! I will try that next time I reboot the system. In the mean time I would like to try to fix the pkginfo table as we can't remove any packages. We have regular backups (monthly full dumps and Legato). I think I should be able to restore the file(s). This is there error I get when I exectute the pkginfo -l
# pkginfo -l wuftpd
pkginfo: ERROR: bad entry read in contents file
pathname: /kernel/strmod/hwc
problem: unable to read mode/owner/group
#

When I look at the modified and touch dates on /kernel/strmod/hwc they are very old??? I am confused and not sure how to proceed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format question

I'm trying to format a hard drive. It asks me for the disk type, which is not there for my drive. So I choose other and it says "Enter number of data cylinders". Where do I get this information from? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date format question

I have a string that looks like this: 2008 04 09 18 45 30 0 I would like to convert it to a date format like this: Wed Apr 09 18:45:30.000 GMT 2008 I have been searching all over and can't find anything to help me. I am using ksh on a sun solaris unix machine. Thank you. Allyson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajgwin
2 Replies

3. Solaris

difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command

can anyone explain me the difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command in solaris. Both are used to display the package details, then what is the difference between both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk Format Question

Wondering if anyone could tell about how long it will take to perform 3 passes on a 72 GB disk? I have a Sun V240 and will have to format all 4. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rpm and pkginfo question

Can the root hide some of the results of the above commands from a regular user? i.e. $>rpm and $>sudo rpm will give different results (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noam128
1 Replies

6. Solaris

grep help with pkginfo

im looking for a way to eliminate the packages from SUN when i do a pkginfo. thought this would work, but no luck. pkginfo | grep what am i doing wrong? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrich523
2 Replies

7. AIX

BMC package and ingeneral all packages in AIX (Similar to pkginfo in Linux)

Hi , I want to know is there any command in AIX similar to pkginfo ? that shows details of all packages installed and we can grep whatever we need to check? Thanks Rafi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafi49
2 Replies

8. Solaris

pkgadd, pkginfo, ssh not working

Got a feeling someone has been fiddling around or something has got corrupt but I'm getting the following errors now:- -bash-3.00# pkginfo ld.so.1: pkginfo: fatal: libssl.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory Killed -bash-3.00# and also ssh:- -bash-3.00# ssh ld.so.1: ssh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Host name in front of pkginfo output

hello all I am trying to create a comma seperated file of the pkginfo command. The follwoing works pretty well. pkginfo -l | egrep '(BASEDIR|NAME|VERSION)' | awk '{print}' ORS=', ' however, there are two issues. 1, For some reason it does not load into excel properly. It loads as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: busi386
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Format Question

Hello friends i have a file that outputs like this: lineA lineB lineC I would like it to format it like this as output: 'lineA','lineB','lineC' Can you help? Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
2 Replies
pkginfo(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        pkginfo(1)

NAME
pkginfo - display software package information SYNOPSIS
pkginfo [-q | -x | -l] [-p | -i] [-r] [-a arch] [-v version] [-c category...] [pkginst...] pkginfo [-d device] [-R root_path] [-q | -x | -l] [-a arch] [-v version] [-c category...] [pkginst...] DESCRIPTION
pkginfo displays information about software packages that are installed on the system (with the first synopsis) or that reside on a par- ticular device or directory (with the second synopsis). Without options, pkginfo lists the primary category, package instance, and the names of all completely installed and partially installed packages. It displays one line for each package selected. OPTIONS
The -p and -i options are meaningless if used in conjunction with the -d option. The options -q, -x, and -l are mutually exclusive. -a arch Specify the architecture of the package as arch. -c category Display packages that match category. Categories are defined with the CATEGORY parameter in the pkginfo(4) file. If more than one category is supplied, the package needs to match only one category in the list. The match is not case specific. -d device Defines a device, device, on which the software resides. device can be an absolute directory pathname or the identifiers for tape, floppy disk, removable disk, and so forth. The special token spool may be used to indicate the default installa- tion spool directory (/var/spool/pkg). -i Display information for fully installed packages only. -l Specify long format, which includes all available information about the designated package(s). -p Display information for partially installed packages only. -q Do not list any information. Used from a program to check whether or not a package has been installed. -r List the installation base for relocatable packages. -R root_path Defines the full path name of a directory to use as the root_path. All files, including package system information files, are relocated to a directory tree starting in the specified root_path. -v version Specify the version of the package as version. The version is defined with the VERSION parameter in the pkginfo(4) file. All compatible versions can be requested by preceding the version name with a tilde (~). Multiple white spaces are replaced with a single white space during version comparison. -x Designate an extracted listing of package information. The listing contains the package abbreviation, package name, package architecture (if available) and package version (if available). OPERANDS
pkginst A package designation by its instance. An instance can be the package abbreviation or a specific instance (for example, inst.1 or inst.2). All instances of a package can be requested by inst.*. The asterisk character (*) is a special character to some shells and may need to be escaped. In the C-Shell, "*" must be surrounded by single quotes (') or preceded by a backslash (). EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/pkg default installation spool directory ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkgtrans(1), pkgadd(1M), pkgask(1M), pkgchk(1M), pkgrm(1M), pkginfo(4), attributes(5) Application Packaging Developer's Guide SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 pkginfo(1)