Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Serius ERROR on HPUX 1020
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Serius ERROR on HPUX 1020 Post 13651 by LivinFree on Tuesday 22nd of January 2002 03:07:31 AM
Old 01-22-2002
Have you checked the amount of free space on the / partition? The reason it might be working once you reboot it because on startup, many HP-UX systems will clean out tmp and other directories. I am very new to HP-UX administration, although I just got my hands on an old workstation running 10.20, and had a similar problem when I accidentally performed a runaway search that was dumping output to a file in /tmp... I filled up my root partition and bad things started to happen.

Also, did someone change permissions anywhere in the root directory? When I inherited this workstation, I pounded my head against the wall trying to figure out why non-root users couldn't log in... until I finally stopped looking at file permissions and checked the permissions of the / dir...

Also, I am not familiar with tombstones, but if you need them to, a HP CE/SE should be able to diagnose the problem... Also check syslog.log...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

import disk in HP-UX 1020

Hi, is it possible to import a disk into a system, and to mount it without overwriting all data on this disk? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

make is giving error while installing cups in hpux

m installing cups-1.2.12 in hp-ux ./configure didnt give any error. but make gives the following error making all in cups... Compiling adminutil.c... In file included from http-private.h:142, from globals.h:35, from adminutil.c:47: /usr/include/net/if.h:240: error: field 'iftp_local' has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalina
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

.profile file error on HPUX 11.11

Hi, I am working on HPUX 11.11i and 11.10 boxes. My default shell is ksh. I have the following entry in my profile file HOSTNAME=`uname -n` Every time I login to the server, this is the error I get: ${HOME:-.}/.profile: syntax error: `)' unexpected The line number shown... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yomaanmean
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

hpux vi

Hello. I cant figure out how can i move entire row up , so it pasted on the one above at the end , or to do that for one character. In notepads,word, or some other text editors we would do that with backspace button. Example. Content of my text file is this : I am trying to do that. And... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

pwage-hpux-T for Trusted HPUX servers

I'm sharing this in case anybody needs it. Modified from the original solaris pwage script. This modified hpux script will check /etc/password file on hpux trusted systems search /tcb and grep the required u_succhg field. Calculate days to expiry and notify users via email. original solaris... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

mk_kernel : "dev_config" error (hpux 11.23)

Any clue why I'm getting the error below? I would greatly appreciate any help. HP ITRC is already engaged since this morning but until now I haven't got any resolution. I'm wondering if anybody out there got an idea on how to fix this. Thanks in advance. This is my system: HPUX11i-OE-Ent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msgameng
2 Replies

9. Slackware

Hp 1020 laser jet Printer doesn't work on slackware 13.1

when i attach HP 1020 leaser jet printer on slackware 13.1 via usb port it detects and display message "Ready to print", in printing window (start->setting->printing) it detects & its properties(Printer->properties) is Description : Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1020 Location : Divya Device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hitlar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

HPUX Syntax error at line 9 : `<' is not expected

Hi All, i'm getting this error, can somebody check? file name is like this 951957039339019_560119_000523_2w47_3060_0038_6002.log filename=$(basename "$1") extension="${filename##*.}" filename="${filename%.*}" IFS="_" read -r -a array... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
2 Replies
CHKSTAT(8)					      Tool to check and set file permissions						CHKSTAT(8)

NAME
chkstat - Tool to check and set file permissions SYNOPSIS
chkstat [--set|-set] [--noheader] [[--examine file ]...] [[--files filelist ]...] [[--root directory ]...] permission-file ... DESCRIPTION
The program /usr/bin/chkstat is a tool to check and set file permissions. Multiple permissions files can be given on the commandline. If the permission files contain multiple entries for a single file, the last entry found will be used. General Options --set, -set This option enables setting the file permissions, the default is to check and warn only. --noheader Omit printing the output header lines. --examine file Check permissions for this file and not all files listed in the permissions files. --files filelist Check permissions for the files listed in filelist and not for all files listed in the permissions files. --root directory Prefix the files given in the permissions files by this directory. EXAMPLE
The command chkstat -set /etc/permissions will parse the file /etc/permissions and set the access mode and the user- and group memberships each file listed. The format for the input file is FILEPATH OWNER:GROUP MODE and wildcards are not supported for the filepath. Lines starting with '#' and empty lines are treated as comments. COPYRIGHT
1996-2003 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2008 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH AUTHORS
Reinhold Sojer, Ruediger Oertel, Michael Schroeder Useful changes and additions by Tobias Burnus 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2008-04-17 CHKSTAT(8)