Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shellscript Interpreting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shellscript Interpreting Post 13581 by Neo on Saturday 19th of January 2002 11:31:10 AM
Old 01-19-2002
Do you have an UNIX shell programming reference books? There is a tremendous value to reading the first few chapters on syntax, variables and other shell script constructs... .especially pipes and filters. Using chains of filters by 'piping' the output of one command into the input of another is a very powerful construct. When you understand this construct (the use of the little "|" pipe) your shell-life gets much easier.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpreting netstat -s

Are there any references I can look up for to interprete "netstat -s", especially those on TCP statistics. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

vmstats interpreting

We are having performance issues on an alpha4100 server. I can't paste a snapshot of my vmstat in here, but... We have 4gb of memory. The actual memory stays consistant around 306k. Free is dropping into the 120 area. Wire is around 206k consistantly. consistantly. My manual says that unix... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
3 Replies

3. Solaris

help interpreting usermod man page

Hi, I put an expiration on a few id's that I want to remove now. From the man page -e expire Specify the future date on which a login can no longer be used; after this date, no user will be able to access this login. This option is useful ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amheck
0 Replies

4. Solaris

solaris way if interpreting devices?

Hi all, I wanted to know the solaris way of interpreting devices? I mean i understand all those c0t0....stuff but when i start mounting devices , most of the times i get either a I/O error or it says that the directory does not exist. eg: I have a external usb hub to which i have connected... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Linux

Interpreting the encrypted shadow password?

We are currently using a script to copy the same encrypted password between our HP-UX and Solaris servers editing the trusted and shadow files directly. The encrypted password is only 13 characters long on both servers and decrypts the same way. Is there a way to copy this same string to Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help interpreting a function

Hi, i was reading through a sample coding and came across this function, can anyone pls help to interpret the code for me. Thank alot find_lines() { res=-1 if ; then grep -i "$@" $FILENAME res=$? fi return $res } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Interpreting xntpdc output.

Hi. I wonder what the equal sign in front of the answer means. I have read man pages and googled but found no answer. xntpdc -p =15.5.64.3 15.5.2.51 3 512 377 0.02060 0.057426 0.04965Thanks. Jan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vettec3
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpreting multiple values from a variable

Hi, I am writing a shell script which will check the status of a resource in a cluster and then display nicely to a user running the script at command line. Basically the script runs a status command and then pulls certain keywords from the return and then should display a concise status. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris01010
5 Replies
aemakeflic(1)						      General Commands Manual						     aemakeflic(1)

NAME
aemakeflic - produce an animation from an aewan document SYNOPSIS
aemakeflic [-f {less|sh}] [-N] [-b] [-d <delay>] input.ae [outputfile.ext] DESCRIPTION
This utility will make an ascii animation out of an aewan document. It can currently produce animations in two formats: a shellscript which, when executed, will display the animation and a "less movie" intended to be "played" on the very popular 'less' output pager -- that is, the user will see the animation as he pages down through the file in an appropriate window size. Each layer in the aewan document is interpreted as one frame of the animation. Layer transparency and compositing are not used: each layer becomes a frame. OPTIONS
-f specifies output format - can "sh" for a shellscript or "less" for a "less movie" -N omit the initial instructions that are normally included in the resulting file. The instructions will orient the user as to how to play the file. -b disables output of color (only characters will be printed). -d delay specifies the delay between frames (for shellscript only), given in milliseconds. AUTHORS
This program is part of the Aewan Ascii Art Editor package. See aewan(1) for author information. LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2004-2005 Bruno Takahashi C. de Oliveira. All rights reserved. This program is licensed under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or, at your option, any later version. For full license informa- tion, please refer to the COPYING file that accompanies the program. SEE ALSO
aewan(1), aewan(5), aecat(1) aemakeflic (Aewan Ascii Art Editor) September 2005 aemakeflic(1)