Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending control sequence to printer before job Post 1356 by ianc on Wednesday 28th of February 2001 09:32:27 AM
Old 02-28-2001
Network

I am having difficulty sending a control sequence ESC&l5H (print to middle tray) to a HP printer (lp4).It is ignoring the command. I am using the following syntax in an executable file :

echo "'/033'&l5H" > /dev/lp4
lp -dlp4 filename

a) Is /033 'escape' ?
b) What is the correct syntax ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to fire a print job on a printer at DHCP network??

Hi All, I have an issue related to printing on a printer at DHCP network. We have n numbers of printers which can be attached to n numbers of telnet clients of a server. Telnet sessions can be obtained from any machine and any available printer will be attached to that machine. Our aim is to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankajgupta
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job control

Hello, What is the best way to control the running of scripts? For example, i have a k1.ksh script java pgm that checks to make sure that the file counts in a particular directory are equal to a total file count value in a control file updated from my PC. If i run this k1.ksh script and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobk544
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sending control c in the loop

I want to go through the list of items and run it. while running it, some of them will have either >there is no response # and then end it... so that it can go to next item OR >there is response # but in order to break out of it, u need to do Control c. How do you send control... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

job/process scheduling or control

Hi forum, I have a problem concerning job or process scheduling and control. I have to run 24 jobs (could be more sometimes less) of the same programme with different parameters. The machine this code is running on is an 8-core machine, so I was thinking that running all the processes at once... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands

can some one give me some link about process and job control commands (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Control M - Job selection critiria

Hello all, Being new to UNIX and Control-M I've runned in some kind of trouble. If I'm not mistaking Control M performs job selection upon 3 main criteria: 1- If a Job is or is not critical 2- The job's priority 3- Job's "Time From, time until" parameter Mi question concerns the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gforbice
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to control the exec sequence of subshell

I have a proc like this. main.sh echo "#######################################starts" echo "Task begins at" `date` shell1.sh wait shell2.sh echo "####################################### ends" I want to execute these shells in order within crontab control. But sometimes it runs ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbiezr
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Control-M Job trigger

Hi, I'm totally new in Control-M and I really need some help. Here's my problem. I need to make job X from a server trigger job Y from a different server where job X must receive a confirmation first before execution. :confused: I really have no idea on how to do that so can you please give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: criphaze22
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Job Control

Using a named pipe. Run a find in the background starting in the working directory While this is happening wait for input from the user to ask him which file to find. If the user does not enter any data in 10 seconds ask the user again. Then see if the requested file name is found from the output... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kattak1511
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Printer printing control codes

Solaris 10: Having some trouble with a new printer printing control codes. This is an HP MFP M632. Tried a few ppd files and without a ppd file using commands similar to the follow: lpadmin -p L4102A -v /dev/null -m netstandard -n... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
1 Replies
echo(1) 							   User Commands							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - echo arguments SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/echo [string...] DESCRIPTION
The echo utility writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. If there are no arguments, only the NEWLINE character will be written. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files, for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of environ- ment variables. The C shell, the Korn shell, and the Bourne shell all have echo built-in commands, which, by default, will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. See shell_builtins(1). sh's echo, ksh's echo, and /usr/bin/echo understand the back-slashed escape charac- ters, except that sh's echo does not understand a as the alert character. In addition, ksh's echo, does not have an -n option. sh's echo and /usr/bin/echo only have an -n option if the SYSV3 environment variable is set (see ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES below). If it is, none of the backslashed characters mentioned above are available. csh's echo and /usr/ucb/echo, on the other hand, have an -n option, but do not under- stand the back-slashed escape characters. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: string A string to be written to standard output. If any operand is "-n", it will be treated as a string, not an option. The following character sequences will be recognized within any of the arguments: a Alert character.  Backspace. c Print line without new-line. All characters following the c in the argument are ignored. f Form-feed. New-line. Carriage return. Tab. v Vertical tab. \ Backslash. n Where n is the 8-bit character whose ASCII code is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number representing that character. USAGE
Portable applications should not use -n (as the first argument) or escape sequences. The printf(1) utility can be used portably to emulate any of the traditional behaviors of the echo utility as follows: o The Solaris 2.6 operating environment or compatible version's /usr/bin/echo is equivalent to: printf "%b " "$*" o The /usr/ucb/echo is equivalent to: if [ "X$1" = "X-n" ] then shift printf "%s" "$*" else printf "%s " "$*" fi New applications are encouraged to use printf instead of echo. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Finding how far below root your current directory is located You can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o Echo your current-working-directory's full pathname. o Pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters. o Pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. Below are the different flavors for echoing a string without a NEWLINE: Example 2: /usr/bin/echo example% /usr/bin/echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 3: sh/ksh shells example$ echo "$USER's current directory is $PWDc" Example 4: csh shell example% echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" Example 5: /usr/ucb/echo example% /usr/ucb/echo -n "$USER's current directory is $PWD" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of echo: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. SYSV3 This environment variable is used to provide compatibility with INTERACTIVE UNIX System and SCO UNIX installation scripts. It is intended for compatibility only and should not be used in new scripts. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1B), printf(1), shell_builtins(1), tr(1), wc(1), ascii(5), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
When representing an 8-bit character by using the escape convention n, the n must always be preceded by the digit zero(0). For example, typing: echo 'WARNING:7' will print the phrase WARNING: and sound the "bell" on your terminal. The use of single (or double) quotes (or two backslashes) is required to protect the "" that precedes the "07". Following the , up to three digits are used in constructing the octal output character. If, following the n, you want to echo addi- tional digits that are not part of the octal representation, you must use the full 3-digit n. For example, if you want to echo "ESC 7" you must use the three digits "033" rather than just the two digits "33" after the . 2 digits Incorrect: echo"0337 | od -xc produces: df0a (hex) 337 (ascii) 3 digits Correct: echo "00337" | od -xc produces: lb37 0a00 (hex) 033 7 (ascii) For the octal equivalents of each character, see ascii(5). SunOS 5.10 20 Jan 2000 echo(1)