Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell / awk doubt
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users shell / awk doubt Post 13480 by Jimbo on Thursday 17th of January 2002 05:41:00 PM
Old 01-17-2002
Quote:
cat a.txt | awk 'gsub(" ", "")'
That awk solution, with gsub as a pattern match, will print only lines where gsub changes the line, so you can lose lines.

To retain all your lines:
Code:
awk '{gsub(" ","");print}' a.txt

Jimbo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk doubt

I'm having a file with 5 fields. I want to sort that file according to one field no 3. How shall I do using awk programming. Any input appreciatable. regards, vadivel. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadivel
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in AWK

Hi all, column1 -------- 33 44 55 66 please provide the script using awk command to dispaly output 55. Help apperciated.. thanks, Nirmal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abnirmal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk doubt..

Hello, Iam trying to get the IP of the hostname of the machine from /etc/hosts. I used the command as below: But the result shows the IP with the hostname.. like 192.168.0.8 test12111.com I need to get only 192.168.0.8 Please help Thanks in advance esham (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk doubt

hi how to get the values in two columns (may be 2nd and 5th column) of a file line by line. either i want to get the two fields into different variables and use a for loop to get these values line by line. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradee
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in awk

Hi , I have a file in the below format: 1.txt awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%1s", "man" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%9s", "women" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%56s", "human")} ' ## ### ## echo "$!" ## awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%1s", "aaa" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%19s", "bbb" )} ' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in awk

Hi All, I have two files as given below: fileA 1234|aaaaa|vvvv 2222|bbbbbb|cbxxbjh 3333|cccc|jhjhj fileB 3434|bbbcc|cbxxbjh 1234|cat|bullet 3333|cccc|jhjhj I need a script that reads the first column from fileA (i.e 1234) and searches in fileB in the first parameter(i.e first... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt on awk

I have executed the below command: find . -name "Ks*" -type f -exec ls -ltr {} \; | awk '{printf("%ld %s %d %s \n",$5,$6,$7,$8,$9)}' and here is the output: 1282 Oct 7 2004 51590 Jul 10 2006 921 Oct 7 2004 1389 Jun 4 2003 1037 May 19 2004 334 Mar 24 2004 672 Jul 8 2003 977... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk doubt

I have a file sample.txt with the following contents: the following gives output as awk 'NF{s=$0; print s}' sample.txt but, awk 'NF{s=$0}{print s}' sample.txtgives output as why this difference, can someone explain me? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a doubt in awk

instead of writing print command in awk, i saw in some posts that we can simply write a number before we end the awk command and it will print the file. As given below: $awk '{some manipulation; print}' filename $awk '{some manipulation}1' filename I also tried replacing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in awk

Hi, I got a below requirement from this forum, but the solution provided was not clear. Below is the requirement Input file A 1 Z A 1 ZZ B 2 Y B 2 AA Required output B Y|AA A Z|ZZ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
5 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)