Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Networking a SCO Unix box with a windows lan Post 13330 by JammerFSU on Tuesday 15th of January 2002 09:27:40 PM
Old 01-15-2002
All of the posted information is good... however... just out of curiosity... what version of SCO Unix do you have. I would assume it's Openserver. Openserver is sold in various versions. Since I noticed that you had only dumb terminals in your previous post, it leads me to believe that you might not have the "Enterprise" version of SCO. You might only have the "Host" edition or "Lightweight" edition. In order to use TCP/IP networking on a SCO Openserver machine... you must have the "Enterprise" Edition of the O/S which includes networking. Also.. the command on SCO Openserver to configure network settings is netconfig

Let me know if this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Networking UNIX with WINDOWS

I am not that great with unix yet, We use them to run our test equipnemt for work. I am now trying to set them all up on the same network (hub) Is there a way that you can make the Windows unit see the Unix Box? I can only transfer file through a FTP program from the Unix to windows. ( This all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrb22250
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Networking Configuration for between UNIX and Windows OS

Good day! Im interested with unix application, however i don't have any idea on how to configure network on unix applicaton(server) to have a connection with windows operating system (worksatation). Please give me some facts how network works between unix and windows. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbbarrera
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking unix & windows

I have very basic question: I have 2 windows sytem & 1 Unix system & wanted to put all three system into one network to each other. what kind of other hardware I need? like cable , router? can anybody tell me the configuration? like how to connect to external hardware to put into network? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kar1
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VPN client (windows Box),and Server (Unix Box)

If I want to access unix box via VPN tunnel,from windows box. What sould I configure on the windows client PC, and what should I enable on the Unix Server box ? I am using Solaris V10 intel platform, and I am using windows XP, and 2003 for client (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zillah
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTPing from unix box to windows box.

Hi All, I need to know if it is possible ftping files from unix box to windows box . if yes , how ?. Is there any pre-requisits. Please tell me the steps, this is very urgent. Thnx Aru (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running UNIX commands remotely in Windows box from Unix box – avoid entering password

I am able to run the UNIX commands in a Windows box from a UNIX box through "SSH" functionality. But whenever the SSH connection is established between UNIX and Windows, password for windows box is being asked. Is there a way to avoid asking password whenever the SSH connection is made? Can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D.kalpana
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

lan networking

hello , i have a problem about connectin between two computers with lan connection , i setup lan card for each of both the computers and when ping with each of them seperatly its true but when i ping from one of them to other that is bring up " no rout to host " or " host is down" please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hossein
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from Unix box to a windows box

Hi All, I need a little help .I want to transfer a file from unix box to a windows box,but the problem i'm facing is that in windows box FTP is not enabled and currently it is nearly impssible to change setting on windows box,i can not use the ftp method ,in my shell script to transfer the file.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preet
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need an scp command from a unix box to a windows box.

scp file="myfile.txt" todir="user@somehost:(M:drive:/somepath/)"/ Not sure I need it to go to a specific drive on the windows box (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xgringo
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp file starting with particular name on Windows box to Unix box using shell script

Hello all ! I'm trying to write a shell script (bash) to ftp a file starting with particular name like "Latest_" that is present on a Windows box to UNIX server. Basically I want to set this script in the cron so that daily the new build that is posted on the Windows box can be downloaded to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayb4u83
2 Replies
COMPAT_IBCS2(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   COMPAT_IBCS2(8)

NAME
compat_ibcs2 -- setup procedure for running iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running Intel Binary Compatibility Standard 2 (iBCS2) binaries. This only applies to i386 systems for now. Binaries are supported from SCO UNIX and other systems derived from AT&T System V Release 3 UNIX. iBCS2 support is only well tested using SCO binaries. XENIX binaries are also supported although not as well tested. SVR4 binaries are supported by the COMPAT_SVR4 option. iBCS2 supports COFF, ELF, and x.out (XENIX) binary formats. Binaries from SCO OpenServer (version 5.x) are the only ELF binaries that have been tested. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures STREAMS drivers (other than TCP/IP sockets) local X displays (uses a STREAMS pipe) virtual 8086 mode The iBCS2 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_IBCS2 option enabled. If support for iBCS2 ELF executables is desired, the EXEC_ELF32 option should be enabled in addition to COMPAT_IBCS2. Many COFF-format programs and most ELF-format programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for iBCS2 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/ibcs2. Any file operations done by iBCS2 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if an iBCS2 pro- gram opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/ibcs2/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install iBCS2 packages that include configuration files, etc. under /emul/ibcs2, to avoid nam- ing conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. Generally, you will need to look for the shared libraries that iBCS2 binaries depend on only the first few times that you install an iBCS2 program on your NetBSD system. After a while, you will have a sufficient set of iBCS2 shared libraries on your system to be able to run newly imported iBCS2 binaries without any extra work. Setting up shared libraries How to get to know which shared libraries iBCS2 binaries need, and where to get them? Depending on the file type of the executable, there are different possibilities (when following these instructions: you will need to be root on your NetBSD system to do the necessary installation steps). COFF binaries You can simply copy all of the available shared libraries since they are fairly small in size. The COFF shared libraries are typically found in /shlib and can be obtained from the following sources: SCO UNIX version 3.x (aka ODT) SCO UNIX version 5.x (aka OpenServer) SCO UnixWare Many versions of SVR4.2/x86 After copying the shared libraries, you should have at least the following files on your system: /emul/ibcs2/shlib/libc_s /emul/ibcs2/shlib/libnsl_s /emul/ibcs2/shlib/protlib_s ELF binaries You can simply copy all of the available shared libraries from the source system or distribution or use ldd(1) to determine the libraries required by a specific binary. After copying the shared libraries, you should have at least the following files on your system: /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libc.so.1 /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libcrypt.so /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libndbm.so /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1 If you don't have access to a SCO system, you will need to get the extra files you need from a SCO distribution. As of January 1998, SCO sells a copy of SCO OpenServer (iBCS2) and/or SCO UnixWare (SVR4) for personal/non-commercial use for only the cost of shipping (about $20US). The distribution comes on an ISO9660-format CDROM which can be mounted and used to copy the necessary files. Run the following script to copy the basic set of files from a SCO distribution directory mounted somewhere locally: /usr/share/examples/emul/ibcs2/ibcs2-setup [directory] You should now be set up for SCO binaries which only need standard shared libs. BUGS
The information about SCO distributions may become outdated. Attempting to a use a nameserver on the local host does not currently work due to an absurd shortcut taken by the iBCS2 network code (remem- ber that there are no kernel sockets). 16/32/64 bit offsets may not be handled correctly in all cases. BSD
February 8, 1998 BSD