Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Editing motd
Special Forums Cybersecurity Editing motd Post 12862 by thehoghunter on Tuesday 8th of January 2002 09:19:37 AM
Old 01-08-2002
The permissions on the file were correct before you changed them (if you are running Solaris).

As far as getting nothing into the file, check the ownership. Make sure you are root when you edit the file. If you can't seem to edit the file, then you can always copy contents of one file to it (cp ./mynew.motd /etc/motd ) as root. Insure you check that the permissions are correct afterwards.
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MOTD File?

Anyone know how to change the location of the MOTD file from the default /etc/motd? An annoying person with root access has found out how to edit the file and change my MOTDs. Help me. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rex00me
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

motd for different users

Hi, I was hoping to get some help on this question: I have different groups of users logging into our servers and I would like to set it up so that when they login they could get an update from the motd. How do I set it up so that I can have one group see a different motd than the system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux help on X and motd

Hie guys im new to Unix. Need some advise or favour perhaps. Iam running Red hat Linux 7.2 and as soon as i install with GUI and so done, i reboot the system. After i reboot it directly went to the GUI login. I able to login and do my stuffs. My question is how to hold the system not to directly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ###1tomato
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing old motd with new motd

I need to replace the current /etc/motd text file with a new motd across 30+ servers. Which is the best way to do this? Shell script? sed? Does anyone have an example I can use? Thanks in advance. Unix people are the best!!! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: antalexi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/etc/motd

Hi I do get the message of the day upon logging in to my machine(Solaris 9). I do NOT have a .hushlogin file in my home directory. Any ideas :-) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Motd

Does anyone know how to get the IP Address of the connecting client to apear in the MOTD I am new to linux and I was wondering if this was possible thanks in advance. :D :confused: :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DragonLenage
4 Replies

7. Linux

Motd

In which login startup script is the motd displayed? Red Hat 4AS As I understand it, upon login (bash) it hits /etc/profile ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_login ~/.profile I went through the scripts and the associated scripts (/etc/profile.d/*.sh) but don't see where it's being displayed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
5 Replies

8. Solaris

MOTD Display

Hi all, Wish to check which setting is set to display the MOTD AFTER successful password verification. I am logging in via a 3rd party ssh tool tectia. Eg. Login: password: OS Prompt> Thanks Eugene (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
5 Replies

9. Linux

From where does motd data comes?

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and whenever I login to the xterm terminal through ssh, I am getting the following motd (message of the day) info. Linux desktop 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS Welcome to Ubuntu! *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Default motd for different OS

Hello, which is the default motd for the different following different OS versions? RHEL: has no default motd? HP-UX: no motd but cat /etc/copyright in /etc/profile: (c)Copyright 1983-2003 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. (c)Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985-1993 The Regents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
2 Replies
EDIT-PATCH(1)                                                 General Commands Manual                                                EDIT-PATCH(1)

NAME
edit-patch, add-patch - tool for preparing patches for Debian source packages SYNOPSIS
edit-patch path/to/patch add-patch path/to/patch DESCRIPTION
edit-patch is a wrapper script around the Quilt, CDBS, and dpatch patch systems. It simplifies the process of preparing and editing patches to Debian source packages and allows the user to not have to be concerned with which patch system is in use. Run from inside the root directory of the source package, edit-patch can be used to edit existing patches located in debian/patches. It can also be used to incorporate new patches. If pointed at a patch not already present, it will copy the patch to debian/patches in the correct format for the patch system in use. Next, the patch is applied and a subshell is opened in order to edit the patch. Typing exit or pressing Ctrl-d will close the subshell and launch an editor to record the debian/changelog entry. edit-patch is integrated with the Bazaar and Git version control systems. The patch will be automatically added to the tree, and the debian/changelog entry will be used as the commit message. If no patch system is present, the patch is applied inline, and a copy is stored in debian/patches-applied. add-patch is the non-interactive version of edit-patch. The patch will be incorporated but no editor or subshell will be spawned. AUTHORS
edit-patch was written by Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach@canonical.com>, Michael Vogt <michael.vogt@canonical.com>, and David Futcher <bobbo@ubuntu.com>. This manual page was written by Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>. Both are released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 3. DEBIAN Debian Utilities EDIT-PATCH(1)