Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cleaning text files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cleaning text files Post 12011 by ferretman on Monday 17th of December 2001 05:58:23 AM
Old 12-17-2001
Java Cleaning text files

I wish to clean a text file of the following characters

1/2, 1/4, o (degrees)

I cant display these characters. I have tried ALT+189 etc (my terminal emulator is set to ASCII). How do I display the above ? I am using HP UX 10.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

doing some spring cleaning....

USERS="me you jim joe sue" for user in ${USERS}; do rmuser -p $user usrdir=`cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` rm -fr `cat /etc/passwd|grep $user|awk -F":" '{ print $6 }'` echo Deleting: $user '\t' REMOVING: $usrdir done This is for AIX ONLY!!! but easily ported to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep multiple text files in folder into 1 text file?

How do I use the grep command to take mutiple text files in a folder and make one huge text file out of them. I'm using Mac OS X and can not find a text tool that does it so I figured I'd resort to the BSD Unix CLI for a solution... there are 5,300 files that I want to write to one huge file so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coppertone
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning log files

Say I have a log file called is there a way to clean out certain files in this log by or when I go to VI this file it tells me and I am guessing this means the file has become to large to append with VI so I was wondering if there was command with some argument to clean this out? Thanks ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cleaning the content of log files

Hi, I am facing problems while trying to clean a log file(Means making its file Size zero). I am not the owner of this file. From the command line, I can clean it by becoming a Sudo. (">logfilename"). I want to automate it using perl. But inside a script, sudo somehow doesnt seem to work. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cleaning core files

Hello *! Just a short question. Where on the system i can find core files. I have one SUN server (Solaris 8) and from time to time I must clean core files on it. But i am not sure where i can find those files. Thank you in advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghost01
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File cleaning

HI , I am getting the source data as below. Source Data CDR_Data,,,,, F1,F2,F3,F4,F5,F6 5,5,6,7,8,7 6,6,g,,, 7,7,76,,, 8,8,gt,,, 9,9,df ,d,d,d ,,,,, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wangkc
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning the file

Hi, I have a file with multiple rows. each row has 8 columns. Column 8 has entries separated by commas. I want to exclude all the rows in which column 8 has more than 3 commas. 1234#0/1 - ABC_1234 3 ATGCATGCATGC HHHIIIGIHVF 1 49:T>C,60:T>C,78:C>A,76:G>T,65:T>G Thanks, Diya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cleaning up files using find...

I am trying to cleanup a directory with around 4000 files, and using the below command to delete all .gz files older than 60 days, I am having the same issue of arguments being too long. is there a way i can use the same command to do what I intend to do. find /opt/et/logs/Archive/*.log.*.gz... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shellslave
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read text between regexps and write into files based on a field in the text

Hi, I have a huge file that has data something like shown below: huge_file.txt start regexp Name=Name1 Title=Analyst Address=Address1 Department=Finance end regexp some text some text start regexp Name=Name2 Title=Controller Address=Address2 Department=Finance end regexp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: r3d3
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

OCR text that needs cleaning

Hi, I have OCR'ed text that needs cleaning. Lines are delimited by parts of speech (POS), for example, each line will have either an adj. OR s. f. OR s. m. etc I need to uppercase all text before the POS but all text within parentheses to be lowercase Text after (and including) the POS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: safran
6 Replies
RTRIM(3)								 1								  RTRIM(3)

rtrim - Strip whitespace (or other characters) from the end of a string

SYNOPSIS
string rtrim (string $str, [string $character_mask]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string with whitespace stripped from the end of $str. Without the second parameter, rtrim(3) will strip these characters: o " " (ASCII 32 ( 0x20)), an ordinary space. o " " (ASCII 9 ( 0x09)), a tab. o " " (ASCII 10 ( 0x0A)), a new line (line feed). o " " (ASCII 13 ( 0x0D)), a carriage return. o "" (ASCII 0 ( 0x00)), the NULL-byte. o "x0B" (ASCII 11 ( 0x0B)), a vertical tab. PARAMETERS
o $str - The input string. o $character_mask - You can also specify the characters you want to strip, by means of the $character_mask parameter. Simply list all characters that you want to be stripped. With .. you can specify a range of characters. RETURN VALUES
Returns the modified string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Usage example of rtrim(3) <?php $text = " These are a few words :) ... "; $binary = "x09Example stringx0A"; $hello = "Hello World"; var_dump($text, $binary, $hello); print " "; $trimmed = rtrim($text); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = rtrim($text, " ."); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = rtrim($hello, "Hdle"); var_dump($trimmed); // trim the ASCII control characters at the end of $binary // (from 0 to 31 inclusive) $clean = rtrim($binary, "x00..x1F"); var_dump($clean); ?> The above example will output: string(32) " These are a few words :) ... " string(16) " Example string " string(11) "Hello World" string(30) " These are a few words :) ..." string(26) " These are a few words :)" string(9) "Hello Wor" string(15) " Example string" SEE ALSO
trim(3), ltrim(3). PHP Documentation Group RTRIM(3)