Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: background for unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers background for unix Post 11965 by anent on Friday 14th of December 2001 07:26:05 PM
Old 12-14-2001
Hi,
with my learning experience, it is better to start learning Unix fundamentals first along with OS concepts correlating with DOS and Windows.
Since, this give you a better understanding of Unix OS.
Networking comes the next.

hope this give you some idea.
Anent

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Unix Background

Hi, I'm new to this forums and to Unix OS... Is this the right place to put this thread? I just need to ask how to set the wallpaper that goes through the x-term windows in a Unix system? It's as if the x-term windows is transparent... I tried modifying the .login file and things got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gri3v3r7
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dos background to unix admin.... any advise?/

is it possible to see what is in a dds tape? like in dos, we can write dir a: to see the contents of it? thanks PS : actually, i came from a DOS background. so most of the time, i will try to relate unix to dos. of course, dos never came close to unix. but unix is like many instances of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

Hi, In shell script when I use script1 >> filelog the echo statments of script1 gets printed in the filelog but when I try to run script in background i.e, script1 & >> filelog nothing gets printed in the filelog. Anybody knows whats going on here. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_oops9
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting Background Wallpapers in hp Unix

Hi All I am new to the big world of UNIX . I have hp 11.20 unix installed . How do i set my own wallpapers (in jpeg,jpg etc format ) for different workspaces . ???? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta_82
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to set background color in Unix terminal

Hi All, how do I set in .profile file Unix terminal background color = BLUE ? Please advice me. :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a unix script(which is calling another script inside that) in background

Hi all, I am having a script ScriptA which is calling a script ScriptB in the same server and copying files to second server and have to execute one script ScriptC in the second server. THis First script ScriptA is the main script and i have to execute this process continously. for Keeping... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohithji
2 Replies

7. Programming

Unix Shell background processing

So I made my own unix shell, but i want to make a background process when using the & appended to the end, so far most of the commands seem to work (except cd, but thats another story) right now here is what I have got. Im thinking maybe I shouldn't be using switch and maybe switch it to... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mercfh
27 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on background processes

Hi, I have a schell script parent.ksh from which I am calling three background processes a.ksh,b.ksh and c.ksh. Once these three processes completes the next step in parent.ksh should execute. How to achieve this? Please help me.... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravinunna
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple functions in Background in UNIX Shell Scripting?

Hi, I am using ksh , i have requirement to run 4 functions in background , 4 functions call are available in a case that case is also in function, i need to execute 1st function it should run in background and return to case and next i will call 2nd function it should run in background and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
8 Replies
IRCD(8)                                                       System Manager's Manual                                                      IRCD(8)

NAME
ircd - The Internet Relay Chat Program Server SYNOPSIS
ircd [-dlinefile filename] [-configfile filename] [-klinefile filename] [-logfile filename] [-pidfile filename] [-resvfile filename] [-xlinefile filename] [-conftest] [-foreground] [-version] DESCRIPTION
ircd is the server (daemon) program for the Internet Relay Chat Program. The ircd is a server in that its function is to "serve" the client program irc(1) with messages and commands. All commands and user messages are passed directly to the ircd for processing and relaying to other ircd sites. OPTIONS
-dlinefile filename Specifies the D-line file to be used. This file is used for both reading D-lines at startup, and writing to while ircd is running. -configfile filename Specifies the ircd.conf file to be used for this ircdaemon. The option is used to override the default ircd.conf given at compile time. -klinefile filename Specifies the K-line file to be used. This file is used for both reading K-lines at startup, and writing to while ircd is running. -logfile filename Specifies an alternative logfile to be used than that specified in config.h -pidfile filename Specifies the ircd.pid used. The option is used to override the default ircd.pid given at compile time. -resvfile filename Specifies the resv.conf file to be used for this ircdaemon. The option is used to override the default resv.conf given at compile time. -xlinefile filename Specifies the xline.conf file to be used for this ircdaemon. The option is used to override the default xline.conf given at compile time. -conftest Makes ircd check the ircd.conf for errors -foreground Makes ircd run in the foreground -version Makes ircd print its version, and exit. USAGE
If you plan to connect your ircd server to an existing Irc-Network, you will need to alter your local IRC configuration file (typically named "ircd.conf") so that it will accept and make connections to other ircd servers. This file contains the hostnames, Network Addresses, and sometimes passwords for connections to other ircds around the world. Because description of the actual file format of the "ircd.conf" file is beyond the scope of this document, please refer to the file INSTALL in the IRC source files documentation directory. BOOTING THE SERVER
The ircd server can be started as part of the Unix boot procedure or just by placing the server into Unix Background. Keep in mind that if it is not part of your Unix's boot-up procedure then you will have to manually start the ircd server each time your Unix is rebooted. This means if your Unix is prone to crashing or going for for repairs a lot it would make sense to start the ircd server as part of your UNIX bootup procedure. EXAMPLE
tolsun% bin/ircd Places ircd into Unix background and starts up the server for use. Note: You do not have to add the "&" to this command, the program will automatically detach itself from tty. leguin% bin/ircd -foreground Runs ircd in the foreground. COPYRIGHT
(c) 1988,1989 University of Oulu, Computing Center, Finland, (c) 1988,1989 Department of Information Processing Science, University of Oulu, Finland (c) 1988,1989,1990,1991 Jarkko Oikarinen (c) 1997,1998,1999,2000,2001 The IRCD-Hybrid project. For full COPYRIGHT see LICENSE file with IRC package. FILES
"ircd.conf" SEE ALSO
ircd.conf(5) BUGS
None... ;-) if somebody finds one, please inform author AUTHOR
irc2.8 and earlier: Jarkko Oikarinen, currently jto@tolsun.oulu.fi. ircd-hybrid-7: IRCD-Hybrid Project, ircd-hybrid@the-project.org. manual page written by Jeff Trim, jtrim@orion.cair.du.edu, later modified by jto@tolsun.oulu.fi. modified for ircd-hybrid-7 by Edward Brocklesby, ejb@klamath.uucp.leguin.org.uk. updated by W. Campbell, wcampbel@botbay.net ircd-ratbox 22 April 2004 IRCD(8)