Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Zombies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Zombies Post 1175 by karpolu on Tuesday 13th of February 2001 01:31:27 PM
Old 02-13-2001
Question

Okay, I'm working within ansi C and Sun Solaris 7. I have a problem with zombies. I'm currently using the kill command to return the status of a process. How do I check for Zombie PIDs or the right function to return its PID from within a C program?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No zombies!

Is there a command that will automaticaly go through and kill all children when you try to kill the parent process. Thanks, David (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nucca
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

How can i kill Zombies

Hi All I need help, how can i kill zombies instead of rebooting the system. Regards System: sna Tue Apr 5 17:50:23 2005 Load averages: 0.05, 0.15, 0.22 168 processes: 157 sleeping, 5 running, 6 zombies Cpu states: CPU LOAD USER NICE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgege
5 Replies

3. Programming

FreeBSD, fork() and zombies

i'm writing small http proxy server (accept client -> connect to remote proxy server -> recv client's request -> send to remote proxy server -> get responce from remote proxy server -> send answer to client -> close connection to client and to remote proxy server) and having problems with fork().... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PsycoMan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombies

I had a problem deleting a zombie process. It refused to be killed. I even tried kill -9 process# but it refused. Any other way of killing it? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorn
7 Replies

5. Programming

Ways to eliminate Zombies?

what are the precautions to be taken care for avoiding zombie process ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help! Zombies

Hello, quick question: I have a zombie process listed with 'top' Could someone help me find out what it the PID is for it, so I can kill $PID. $ model 9000/800/rp3440 HP-UX bigassserver B.11.31 U 9000/800 3085785128 unlimited-user license thanks! System: bigassserver ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: olyanderson
23 Replies
trace(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trace(1)

Name
       trace - trace system calls of programs

Syntax
       trace [options] cmd args...

Description
       The  command  with  no flag arguments traces for the given cmd and args all system calls made and prints a time stamp, the PID, call and/or
       return values and arguments and puts its output in the file trace.dump.

Options
       -f filename
	       Puts dump in file filename.

-z      Echos arguments only.

Only one of the following option arguments can be specified at one time.

-c#     Traces given PIDs and their children.  Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-g#     Traces given groups only.  Up to sixteen Group IDs can be specified.

-p#     Traces given PIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-s#     Traces given system calls only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

-u#     Traces given UIDs only.	Up to sixteen PIDs can be specified.

Examples
       trace -f ls.dump ls -l /dev >ls.out
       runs the cmd ls -l /dev and puts the trace in ls.dump and output in ls.out.
       trace -f csh.trace -p $$ &
       will trace your login shell in the background. To stop the trace just send it a termination signal (that is, kill -TERM trace_pid).

Restrictions
       Due to security, no one, not even the super-user can trace anyone else's programs. This sort of negates some of the usefulness  of  the	-g
       and -u flags.

The program cannot be traced.

Only 16 numbers can be given to the -c, -p, -g, -u, and -s flags.

The kernel configuration file must contain the following:
       options	       SYS_TRACE
       pseudo-device   sys_trace

In addition, the superuser must use the following command sequence to create the device:
       cd /dev
       MAKEDEV trace
       If both lines are not in the configuration file or if the device is not made, the message "Cannot open /dev/trace" appears.

Files
       /dev/trace     read only character special device for reading syscall data.

trace.dump     default file for the system call trace data.

See Also
       open(2), close(2), ioctl(2), select(2), read(2), trace(5)

trace(1)