Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Suggestions on where to begin? Post 11732 by andrew25008 on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 02:24:18 PM
Old 12-11-2001
Question Suggestions on where to begin?

I have been a student at Hendrix Institute for about a year now. My term is comming to an end by the end of december. I have learned varios computer programs for web development that include Flash 5 and Dreamweaver. Actionscripting, Javascript and Database development with Access was all included in my studies.
It was all done on Mac platforms. I know both Mac and Pc which is a good thing I suppose. I am now looking into Unix Programming, which is a different direction from what I am used to. Where is the best place to begin my journey? Should I begin with learning C++, or do I just start with a beginner Unix book. I know what direction I want to follow, but I do not know where to begin?
Help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BEGIN END questions

Why would you need to use this in a script? Why can't you just use print to print out what you want printed in the begining and print for what you want at the end. So this: nawk 'BEGIN {print "this is the first line"} {print $1 $2 $3} {print $5 $6} END {print "this is the last line"}' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llsmr777
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help begin with unix.

so im new :) i whant to use and learn UNIX, but i dont know annythign about the system. so i need some help getting started :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Morton
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

begin end detection

Hi all, i am new to scripting. i need to write a code to detect begin and end of word that either begins or ends with t,th,d,dh,s,sh i have a set of words in a file containg one word per line. let the filename be aaa.txt. i have an another file bbb.txt which has two lines, just specifying the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: blkanth
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BEGIN Clause Help Needed

what does this clause means in UNIX 'BEGIN { FS="|";OFS="|" } the complete clause is like find . -name $filename | xargs awk -v s1=$String1 -v s2=$String2 -v s3=$String3 -v s4=$String4 'BEGIN { FS="|";OFS="|" } Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk getting stuck after BEGIN

I am beginner in awk awk 'BEGIN{for(i=1;(getline<"opnoise")>0;i++) arr=$1}{print arr}' In the above script, opnoise is a file, I am reading it into an array and then printing the value corresponding to index 20. Well this is not my real objective, but I have posted this example to describe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akshaykr2
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting rows that begin with #

Hi, I have a file that has rows that start with # and ends with #. For example.. # hi text JK NM JK NM JK K JK NM # no # yes So I want to remove the #'s and put them into another file. so the output will be two files.. File 1: JK NM JK NM JK K JK NM (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk BEGIN problem

awk 'BEGIN { print "line one\nline two\nline three" }' After ./awktest.sh Usage: awk -f progfile file ... Usage: awk 'program' file ... POSIX options: GNU long options: -f progfile --file=progfile -F fs --field-separator=fs -v var=val ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Question about 'BEGIN'

Newbie question, not sure of the use of BEGIN when you can just have the enclosed code inserted before the remaining program which means that code will get executed first anyway? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk search with begin

Hi, I have written below script to begin if the line has n #!/bin/ksh /usr/xpg4/bin/awk {/ n / 'BEGIN {X = "01"; X = "02"; X = "03"; X = "04"; X = "05"; X = "06"; X = "07"; X = "08"; X ="09"; X = "10"; X = "11"; X = "12"; };} NR > 1 {print $1 "\t" $5 "," X "," $6 " " $7}'} input.txt |... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: BEGIN: prints nothing

My code fails to do anything if I've BEGIN block in it: Run the awk script as: awk -f ~/bin/sum_dupli_gene.awk make_gene_probe.txt #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { print ARGV #--loads of stuff } END{ #more stuff } (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
14 Replies
BACKGAMMON(6)							 BSD Games Manual						     BACKGAMMON(6)

NAME
backgammon -- the game of backgammon teachgammon -- learn to play backgammon SYNOPSIS
backgammon [-] [-nrwb] [-pr] [-pw] [-pb] [-t term] [-s file] teachgammon DESCRIPTION
This program lets you play backgammon against the computer or against a "friend". All commands are only one letter, so you don't need to type a carriage return, except at the end of a move. The program is mostly self-explanatory, so that a question mark (?) will usually get some help. If you answer `y' when the program asks if you want the rules, you will get text explaining the rules of the game, some hints on strategy, instructions on how to use the program, and a tutorial consisting of a practice game against the computer. A description of how to use the program can be obtained by answering `y' when it asks if you want instructions. The possible arguments for backgammon (most are unnecessary but some are very convenient) consist of: -n don't ask for rules or instructions -r player is red (implies n) -w player is white (implies n) -b two players, red and white (implies n) -pr print the board before red's turn -pw print the board before white's turn -pb print the board before both player's turn -t term terminal is type term, uses /usr/share/misc/termcap -s file recover previously saved game from file Any unrecognized arguments are ignored. An argument of a lone `-' gets a description of possible arguments. If term has capabilities for direct cursor movement (see termcap(5)) backgammon ``fixes'' the board after each move, so the board does not need to be reprinted, unless the screen suffers some horrendous malady. Also, any `p' option will be ignored. (The `t' option is not neces- sary unless the terminal type does not match the entry in the /usr/share/misc/termcap data base.) QUICK REFERENCE
When the program prompts by typing only your color, type a space or carriage return to roll, or d to double p to print the board q to quit s to save the game for later When the program prompts with 'Move:', type p to print the board q to quit s to save the game or a move, which is a sequence of s-f move from s to f s/r move one man on s the roll r separated by commas or spaces and ending with a newline. Available abbreviations are s-f1-f2 means s-f1,f1-f2 s/r1r2 means s/r1,s/r2 Use b for bar and h for home, or 0 or 25 as appropriate. AUTHOR
Alan Char FILES
/usr/games/teachgammon rules and tutorial /usr/share/misc/termcap terminal capabilities BUGS
The program's strategy needs much work. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD