Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Porting Scripts.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Porting Scripts. Post 11708 by Cameron on Tuesday 11th of December 2001 05:24:37 AM
Old 12-11-2001
Data Porting Scripts.

Hi all,

Figured this would be a good a place (well more apropriate) to ask this ... What considerations are necesary to port a script from one system to another?

The below link is a script that I'm currently working on at work. The work system is a SCO box and I'm slowly becoming familar with the OS. At home I've just installed Mandrake 8.0 and having trouble trying to run the script.

Any suggestions?

Script name: monthly_sar

Thanks in advance. Smilie

Cheers,
Cameron
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Forgot to mention:
Having to type ". ./monthly_sar au" just to get any feedback.

Again thanks for any help. Smilie

Last edited by Cameron; 12-11-2001 at 07:06 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Porting of Windows written unix scripts to unix platform

Can anybody help me in finding out a solution for the problem below? When we write .unix or .sh files in windows OS and port them to Unix platforms there is a character ^M inserted at the end of each line of the script file. During ftp porting I set the transfer mode as ASCII for the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamilselvi
7 Replies

2. Programming

Porting to solaris

I have ported a c program to solaris. When I run , it gives me segmentation fault error at line :- memcpy ((char *)a_string ,(char *)0, MAX_READ ) ; originally this was in reliant unix as :- memcpy ( a_string , 0 , MAX_READ ) ; Can somebody help me about this ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suds19
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HP-UX to linux porting

Hi all, i wanted to port some HP-UX code to linux. can anybody point to some documents or resources that would help me in doing the porting.. thanks in advance Arun Prakash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunprakash
0 Replies

4. Programming

Porting tools

I m sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I m going to do a project on porting tools in unix platform. Can any one give me further suggestions and resources for this topic "Porting tools". Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeru554
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

porting

I want to know what are the design considerations to be taken into account. when porting a socket project from Unix platform to another ...... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: areef4u
10 Replies

6. Linux

when porting from HP-UX to Linux

helo, i m porting HP-UX socket application to Linux SSL-socket application. I have use htonl() in HP-UX. so when i use it in Linux, data transf is not done and application become soem time crashed. now when i remove htonl() in linux, then i got data but it will not proper order or some data may... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Makfile porting

I am trying to port to HP-UX 11i v3 system an application in C++ language written for a Tru64 Unix V5. I am trying to execute on HP-UX 11i v3 a Makefile written for Tru64 Unix V5 with this code: $(TARGET_MORE): $(DEPEND_FILE) $(SOURCE_MORE.cc) $(LIBS) @for i in $(TARGET_MORE); do \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angeloberardi
1 Replies

8. AIX

Porting from HP-UX to AIX

I am orignally a VC++ programmer, this is the my post in UNIX form. I have an existing source code, that was developed in old HP-UX system, the objective is to make it work on new AIX system. It does'nt appear that AIX has the necessary libraries or even run the application if its... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick786us
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Porting to new hardware - best way?

Same version of Solaris etc. Moving to new hardware. The application that runs on this server is easy enough to re-install but Im concerned about things like:- 1. Users/passwords/home directories 2. Cron jobs 3. Static routes Is there ANY way to either export this sort of thing so that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
6 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)