Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Openwin Error
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Openwin Error Post 11458 by b5fnpct on Wednesday 5th of December 2001 03:46:41 PM
Old 12-05-2001
Openwin Error

1.I was trying to use Exceed to run Solaris "openwin" on my Windows 95. I got an error :

/usr/openwin/bin/openwin &
[1] 28522
$
/dev/fb: No such file or directory
Graphics Adapter device /dev/fb is of unknown type

Fatal server error:
InitOutput: Error loading module for /dev/fb

Does this mean I have a bad Graphic card or anything else? If I need to replace this card, what's the correct type? My Solaris box is Ultra Enterprise 450.

2. I tried to run it using another solaris box, this one gave me an error:

/usr/openwin/bin/openwin &
$ openwin: There is already a server running on :0

What do I need to do with this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWin Locked up

I have a server that is on solaris 9 and openwin is locked. The mouse won't respond and I can't seem to kill the openwin pid on the server.. Is there a command line to kill openwin from the server side? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jphorton
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

/usr/openwin/bin/xinit: unable to connect to Xserver

Hi Gents, I have downloaded Sol 8 2/04 from Sun's web page and I have tried to install it into a V890. I can boot from a CD 1of 2 without any problem. After the selection of the language and the Locale, the TWM (Sol Install Console window) cannot starts up. The following are the errors... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmakhol
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenWin error

I have a client who is using Solaris 8 and on login the system tris to open windows but then generates the following error failed to open /usr/openwin/AcceleratedX/etc/Siteinfo Fatal Server error Failed to configure the xserver Help Please! Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinc77
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

openwin use old serial mouse

Solaris 10 on an Ultra 45, there are two serial ports (com A and B) And I need to be able to use an old serial trackball mouse in the openwin dt enviornment. Do I have any options? Even if I have to buy an external device for conversion? Want to configure openwin to use an old serial pointer device... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Why X-server doesn't read /usr/openwin/lib/locale/C/OWfontpath???

Hi all! Solaris 10. Why did X-server stop to read OWfontpath? Any suggestions. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

> 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " error

im kinda new to shell scripting so i need some help i try to run this script and get the error code > 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " the code for the script is #!/bin/sh # # script to see if the given value is correct # # Define errors ER_AF=86 # Var is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
4 Replies

8. Hardware

seeking QUIET hardware Sparc Solaris 8/Openwin

I have several applications locked to Solaris 8 (and older) and have been very happy with my Sparcs and Ultras but am getting tinnitus problems from fans and disks. Any tips on a quiet thin client (with decent graphics, not video or gaming level but 24bit and multi monitor would be useful) that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: batchman
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have two servers with a fresh install of Solaris 11, and having problems when doing rpcinfo between them. There is no firewall involved, so everything should theoretically be getting through. Does anyone have any ideas? I did a lot of Google searches, and haven't found a working solution yet. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

SunBlade 150 can't start openwin: /usr/openwin/bin/xinit: Server error.

Hi. I have a Microsystems SunBlade 150 shell# cat /etc/release Solaris 8 2/02 s28s_u7wos_08a SPARC shell# uname -a SunOS HOSTNAME 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100 shell# prtconf -F /pci@1f,0/SUNW,m64B@13:m640 When I join to the only account the server try to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegroup
5 Replies
COMPAT_SVR4(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    COMPAT_SVR4(8)

NAME
compat_svr4 -- setup procedure for running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries compat_svr4_32 -- setup procedure for running 32-bit SVR4/iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running SVR4/iBCS2 binaries. This code has been tested on i386 (with binaries from SCO OpenServer and XENIX), m68k (with binaries from AMIX) and sparc (with binaries from Solaris) systems. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures the /proc filesystem the ticotsord loopback RPC mechanism (NIS uses this) sound and video interfaces threads (ttsession uses threads) the streams administrative driver The SVR4 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_SVR4 option enabled. Since support for ELF executables is included only if the kernel is compiled with the EXEC_ELF32 or EXEC_ELF64 options enabled, kernels which include COMPAT_SVR4 should also typ- ically include EXEC_ELF32 (for 32-bit ELF support) and/or EXEC_ELF64 (for 64-bit ELF support). Another compatibility feature is COMPAT_SVR4_32, which allows the execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 64-bit kernel. This requires EXEC_ELF32 and COMPAT_NETBSD32 options as well as COMPAT_SVR4. It is configured the same way as COMPAT_SVR4 but uses the /emul/svr4_32 directory instead of /emul/svr4. But typically, /emul/svr4_32 can be made to point to /emul/svr4 if the operating system donating the libraries has support for both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries. Execution of 32-bit SVR4 binaries on a machine with a 32-bit kernel uses COMPAT_SVR4, not COMPAT_SVR4_32. Most SVR4 programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on and the run- time linker. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for SVR4 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/svr4. Any file operations done by SVR4 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if a SVR4 program opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/svr4/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install SVR4 packages that include configuration files, etc under /emul/svr4, to avoid naming conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. The simplest way to set up your system for SVR4 binaries is: 1. Make the necessary directories: (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/{dev,etc} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/{bin,lib,ucblib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/{bin,lib} (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/dt/{bin,lib} 2. Copy files from an svr4 system: (me@svr4) cd /usr/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/ucblib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/ucblib && tar -xpf -' If you are running openwindows: (me@svr4) cd /usr/openwin/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/openwin/lib && tar -xpf -' (me@svr4) cd /usr/dt/lib (me@svr4) tar -cf - . | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/dt/lib && tar -xpf -' 3. You will also probably need the timezone files from your Solaris system, otherwise emulated binaries will run on UTC time. (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@netbsd) mkdir -p /emul/svr4/etc/default (me@svr4) cd /usr/share/lib/zoneinfo (me@solaris) tar -cf -. | rsh netbsd 'cd /emul/svr4/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo && tar -xpf -' (me@netbsd) echo TZ=US/Pacific > /emul/svr4/etc/default/init 4. Set up the configuration files and devices: (me@netbsd) cd /usr/share/examples/emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp netconfig nsswitch.conf /emul/svr4/etc (me@netbsd) cp SVR4_MAKEDEV /emul/svr4/dev (me@netbsd) cd /emul/svr4/dev && sh SVR4_MAKEDEV all As the major number allocated for emulation of SVR4 devices may vary between NetBSD platforms, the SVR4_MAKEDEV script uses the uname(1) command to determine the architecture the devices nodes are being created for; this can be overridden by setting the MACHINE environment variable accordingly. An alternative method is to mount a whole SVR4 partition in /emul/svr4 and then override with other mounts /emul/svr4/etc and /emul/svr4/dev. BUGS
Many system calls are still not emulated. The streams emulation is incomplete (socketpair does not work yet). Most SVR4 executables can not handle directory offset cookies > 32 bits. More recent ones, compiled for large file support (Solaris 2.6 and up) can. With older programs, you will see the message ``svr4_getdents: dir offset too large for emulated program'' when this happens. Cur- rently, this can only happen on NFS mounted filesystems, mounted from servers that return offsets with information in the upper 32 bits. These errors should rarely happen, but can be avoided by mounting this filesystem with offset translation enabled. See the -X option to mount_nfs(8). The -2 option to mount_nfs(8) will also have the desired effect, but is less preferable. BSD
April 19, 1999 BSD