Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: reading from input
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting reading from input Post 11007 by nageshrc on Tuesday 27th of November 2001 08:12:11 AM
Old 11-27-2001
reading from input

Hi guys ,

As you know normally ' read ' statement waits
for the user to press enter and then terminates
the input .............
Can anyone of u tell me how do i read a
single character from input without waiting
for the user to press enter ................

Thanks,
Nagesh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input from user

how do we read input from a user e.g i want to ask a user to enter 6 sets of numbers how do i control information from the user? i have this....... #!/bin/bash echo "Please enter six numbers" read number echo $number >> file1 but this stops after the first number..how can i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadharah
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading input from a file

I am trying to read input for a C program (that expects input from the user) from a file using the shell command: progname < filename but it seems that the program considers the char '<' as the first input, hence causing an "error" in my program. I checked it with another program and it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadbar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input files

Okay, so I've looked on here and found some similar things, but not exactly what I am looking for. I am working on creating a script that can back up some files, based on the contents of another file - the configuration file. First file contains the files to back up - we'll call this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdxwarrior
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from input with sed

I am trying to edit a file in shell script using sed. I need to get the input from command line suppose script.sh sed"/s place=/place=california/g" > /root/user/mark.txt echo " place changed " the above code searches for string place in the file mark.txt and replaces with place=... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading Standard Input

Hello, I am new to scripting. How do I read multiple lines from the command line? I know read reads one line, but if I have to read multiple lines, how should I do? Thanks, Prasanna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna1157
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from standard input

So, I am new to shell scripting and have a few problems. I know how to read from standard input but I do not know how to really compare it to say, a character. I am trying to compare it to a character and anything exceeding just a character, the user will get an output message, but the program... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading CLI input for script

I've always written scripts where the user executes the script and I prompt them for what they want to do. But I'm trying to write a script where root executes the script 'lock' or its hard-link 'unlock' and the script will passwd -l or passwd -u an account depending on the choice. What would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading the input value

echo "Enter the Value : " read value sed '1s:\(.\{6\}\)\(.\{4\}\):\1'$value':' flextran$RUN_DATE-completed.txt > temp.txt mv temp.txt flextran$RUN_DATE-completed.txt on the run time after entering the input value it waits for keystroke and the values is not input to the function The output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
4 Replies
read(1) 							   User Commands							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/read [-r] var... sh read name... csh set variable = $< ksh read [ -prsu [n]] [ name ? prompt] [name...] DESCRIPTION
/usr/bin/read The read utility will read a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read will prompt for a continuation line when: o The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. o A here-document is not terminated after a NEWLINE character is entered. The line will be split into fields as in the shell. The first field will be assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var operands specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their interven- ing separators will be assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars will be set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands will affect the current shell execution environment. If it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; it will not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment. The standard input must be a text file. sh One line is read from the standard input and, using the internal field separator, IFS (normally space or tab), to delimit word boundaries, the first word is assigned to the first name, the second word to the second name, and so on, with leftover words assigned to the last name. Lines can be continued using ewline. Characters other than NEWLINE can be quoted by preceding them with a backslash. These backslashes are removed before words are assigned to names, and no interpretation is done on the character that follows the backslash. The return code is 0, unless an end-of-file is encountered. csh The notation: set variable = $< loads one line of standard input as the value for variable. (See csh(1)). ksh The shell input mechanism. One line is read and is broken up into fields using the characters in IFS as separators. The escape character, (), is used to remove any special meaning for the next character and for line continuation. In raw mode, -r, the character is not treated specially. The first field is assigned to the first name, the second field to the second name, and so on, with leftover fields assigned to the last name. The -p option causes the input line to be taken from the input pipe of a process spawned by the shell using |&. If the -s flag is present, the input will be saved as a command in the history file. The flag -u can be used to specify a one digit file descriptor unit n to read from. The file descriptor can be opened with the exec special command. The default value of n is 0. If name is omitted, REPLY is used as the default name. The exit status is 0 unless the input file is not open for reading or an end-of-file is encoun- tered. An end-of-file with the -p option causes cleanup for this process so that another can be spawned. If the first argument contains a ?, the remainder of this word is used as a prompt on standard error when the shell is interactive. The exit status is 0 unless an end-of- file is encountered. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -r Does not treat a backslash character in any special way. Considers each backslash to be part of the input line. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: var The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. EXAMPLES
Example 1: An example of the read command The following example for /usr/bin/read prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: example% while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of read: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. IFS Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. PS2 Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), line(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Mar 1995 read(1)