Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to make a boot disk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to make a boot disk Post 10961 by Youngadmin on Monday 26th of November 2001 11:28:47 AM
Old 11-26-2001
how to make a boot disk

I need to know how to make a boot disk to get Solaris 7 to load on a intel machine.

I have checked out Sun.Com, but did not understand how to download and convert the files to a disk.

any help would be appericated

thanks

Bobby

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Boot Disk

I have made my boot disk just as the program has instructed, and when I boot from floppy with dual hard drives it locks up and say's kernal error. What am I doing wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobkat
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to make a bootable disk?

The second disk that I'm trying to make bootable is to hold another version of Solaris (9). I've created the partitions with format and labeled the disk - created the filesystems with newfs - created and mounted the directories. ...but I think I've missed something out like using fdisk to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
16 Replies

3. Solaris

how to make repartition of disk

hi I am working with sun solaris 9 and I have 40 GB hard disk and I want to recreate the partition. 1)how can I recreate the partition?? 2) how can I take the back-up of my application so that I will not loose the data.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

make Ubuntu and Red Hat boot partitions

Is it possible to make multiboot partitions of Ubuntu and red hat Linux? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
4 Replies

5. Solaris

How to make sure that a disk is not used?

Hi, I want to make sure a local disk c1t1d0s2 is not being used. SVM and VxVM are used on this Solaris 10 systems. This disk can not be found using 'df -k', 'metastat' and 'vxprint -ht'. But I can't mount it though format shows it contains ufs filesystem: # mount /dev/dsk/c1t1d0s0 /mnt Aug 18... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Mounting disk at boot

Hi once more :p Yesterday I reinstalled Solaris OS and now I can not mount pcfs HDD SunOS unknown 5.10 Generic_142901-03 i86pc i386 i86pc and what has been added in /etc/vfstab is /dev/dsk/c1t0d0p1:c - /podaci - pcfs - yes rw But as I said , my disk is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to find out boot disk

Hi, I have two disk in a machine # ioscan -funC disk Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ================================================================== disk 0 0/2/1/0.0.0.0.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE HP DH072ABAA6 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericbj
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make another set of root(/), /boot, /home and other partitions?

Hello, As a purely learning purpose I am trying to make another set of partitions along my existing Ubuntu11.10 box. The reason to do this partition is to try a new Linux system by myself following "Linux From Scratch" (LFS). Because the instruction of LFS seems for very advanced user (I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)			 systemd-machine-id-commit.service		      SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-commit.service - Commit a transient machine ID to disk SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-commit.service DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-commit.service is an early boot service responsible for committing transient /etc/machine-id files to a writable disk file system. See machine-id(5) for more information about machine IDs. This service is started after local-fs.target in case /etc/machine-id is a mount point of its own (usually from a memory file system such as "tmpfs") and /etc is writable. The service will invoke systemd-machine-id-setup --commit, which writes the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id file in a race-free manner to ensure that file is always valid and accessible for other processes. See systemd-machine-id-setup(1) for details. The main use case of this service are systems where /etc/machine-id is read-only and initially not initialized. In this case, the system manager will generate a transient machine ID file on a memory file system, and mount it over /etc/machine-id, during the early boot phase. This service is then invoked in a later boot phase, as soon as /etc has been remounted writable and the ID may thus be committed to disk to make it permanent. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-machine-id-setup(1), machine-id(5), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-COMMIT.SERVICE(8)