Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory/virtual space
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Memory/virtual space Post 10898 by Perderabo on Friday 23rd of November 2001 08:44:46 AM
Old 11-23-2001
Re: Further information

Quote:
Originally posted by degwright
Perderabo,
Thanks for the information you have provided so far, but I have to take this further.

I have to assume from the evidence to date that the sys vars are taking up space which prevents the 'ls' command from working correctly.
Hmmm...you seem to be correct. To paraphrase a great American statesman, my previous guess is no longer operative...

If you do a "man 2 exec" and look at the errors that can occur. In particular, the kernel can return
Quote:
E2BIG - The number of bytes in the new program's argument list plus environment is greater than the system-imposed limit. This limit is at least 5120 bytes on HP-UX systems.
I assume, of course, that you will completely ignore the documented limit of 5120 and will experimentally determine the maximum you can achieve today. Smilie

So where does this leave you? If your developers develop more programs your script is going to fail. You seem to realize this. I'm not sure that you realize that an OS patch or upgrade could do the same thing.

I must expand my recommendation to you. Not only must you write code that will keep command lines under 2048 bytes, you also need to ensure that the command line plus the environment are less than 5120 bytes. I'm glad we cleared that up! Smilie

You're apparently unwilling to consider coding techniques that do not put all file names in one command line. Well, there is another approach. You could segment your project so that there are many small directories instead of one large one. This would render your code safe. But also, large directories slow unix down since they must be searched sequentially.

These really are the only options I see for you. Sorry for the bad news.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

virtual memory

Hi, can anyone explain me what virtual memory is ( for which we use vmstat commande line ) comparing with RAM ? many thanks before. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

2. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

3. Programming

how allocate virtual memory

Hi Folks can any body suggest how to allocate virtual memory any function for that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: munnu
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

Virtual Memory

Hi! I work with HP-UX and I have to monitorize the use of virtual memory for different processes. (java processes for Tibco Adapter) And if these processes exceed a limit send a message to the syslog. I donīt know how to monitorize this... Should I do a script? or use an aplication, for example... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kurohana
3 Replies

5. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory

Hi, Can anyone please help me workout how much virtual memory I have running on a T2000 running Solaris 10. Thanks # df -h swap 3.5G 1.0M 3.5G 1% /etc/svc/volatile swap 3.5G 208K 3.5G 1% /tmp swap 3.5G 56K ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtual file or memory?

Hi Experts I encountered a situation recently. I wanted to discuss here and understand the reason behind this. My scenario is something like this: yes > temp & The above command keeps writing the output to the file temp. And this file keeps growing every second. And in the every... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Virtual Memory explanation

Hi All, Please explain me about Virtual Memory. Regards, SKumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nskumar
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Virtual Memory in UNIX

So, I would ask you a piece of advice about which books or titles could give me comprehensive information about virtual memory in UNIX. Especially, I would found out that virtual address translation corresponds structures of kernel! Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fadedfate
2 Replies
cd(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cd(1)

NAME
cd - change working directory SYNOPSIS
[directory] DESCRIPTION
If directory is not specified, the value of shell parameter is used as the new working directory. If directory specifies a complete path starting with or directory becomes the new working directory. If neither case applies, tries to find the designated directory relative to one of the paths specified by the shell variable. has the same syntax as, and similar semantics to, the shell variable. must have execute (search) permission in directory. exists only as a shell built-in command because a new process is created whenever a command is executed, making useless if written and pro- cessed as a normal system command. Moreover, different shells provide different implementations of as a built-in utility. Features of as described here may not be supported by all the shells. Refer to individual shell manual entries for differences. If is called in a subshell or a separate utility execution environment such as: (which invokes on accessible directories) does not affect the current directory of the caller's environment. Another usage of as a stand- alone command is to obtain the exit status of the command. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. Environment Variables The following environment variables affect the execution of The name of the home directory, used when no directory operand is specified. A colon-separated list of pathnames that refer to directories. If the directory operand does not begin with a slash character, and the first component is not dot or dot-dot, searches for directory relative to each directory named in the variable, in the order listed. The new working directory is set to the first matching directory found. An empty string in place of a directory pathname represents the current direc- tory. If is not set, it is treated as if it was an empty string. EXAMPLES
Change the current working directory to the directory from any location in the file system: Change to new current working directory residing in the current directory: or Change to directory residing in the current directory's parent directory: Change to the directory whose absolute pathname is Change to the directory relative to home directory: RETURN VALUE
Upon completion, exits with one of the following values: The directory was successfully changed. An error occurred. The working directory remains unchanged. SEE ALSO
csh(1), pwd(1), ksh(1), sh-posix(1), sh(1), chdir(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cd(1)