Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: kernel settings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers kernel settings Post 10654 by doeboy on Monday 19th of November 2001 12:19:25 PM
Old 11-19-2001
Java

maxuprc = Max number of user processes
nfile = Max number of open files
semmni = Number of semaphore identifiers
semmnu = Number of semaphore undo structures
semmns = Max. number of semaphores
shmmni = Number of Shared memory Identifiers

Smilie

These are all kernel tunable parameters. You can also get descriptions for these on HP by using SAM and going into Kernel Configuration.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel parameter settings

Hello All, can someone clarify finally what are the kernel parameter settings for ORACLE9i on SOLARIS9 ? the following first part is copy paste from the sun's web... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep
2 Replies

2. Linux

Kernel panic - not syncing: cannot execute a PAE-enabled kernel on PAE-less CPU

ok so I just installed fedora core 6 on my dell inspiron 700m and I go to boot into linux and I get this error. Has anyone seen this before? I also had XP Pro and Vista installed on this pc prior to putting fedora core 6 on the machine. I'm trying to setup a triple boot system. Please Help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave043
2 Replies

3. Programming

kernel-kernel call communication

hi all! i have developed a mechanism in system.c to count how many times each kernel call is called. The results are held in an array in system.c . What i want to do is to create a new kernel call which will print this array. I need help in passing the array from system.c to the new kernel call. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aureliano
5 Replies

4. SuSE

max number of slabs per kernel module (kernel 2.6.17, suse)

Hi All, Is there a max number of slabs that can be used per kernel module? I'm having a tough time finding out that kind of information, but the array 'node_zonelists' (mmzone.h) has a size of 5. I just want to avoid buffer overruns and other bad stuff. Cheers, Brendan (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brendan Kennedy
4 Replies

5. Linux

Supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" me

supermicro(dual core) server getting rebooted after "decompressing the kernel;booting the kernel" message comes. I tried giving acpi=off to the kernel command line but same problem.It shows everything ok and no problem with memory and processors and power supplies.Wt could be the reason? It has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernel parameters values?

Hi gurus Could anybody tell me which file is read by kernel to set its default system kernal parameters values in solaris. Here I am not taking about /etc/system file which is used to load kernal modules or to change any default system kernal parameter value Is it /dev/kmem file or something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check what are the current kernel parameter settings

Hi all, I have four (4) different UNIX flavours and I want to know whether the following commands are correct with respect to wanting to check on what are my current kernel parameter settings. I just want to clear the doubts hanging over my head whether the commands below are the right ones... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

TCP Kernel Settings

I have solaris 9 system. I want to change the "tcp_conn_req_max_q" setting in /etc/system. whats the correct way, set ndd:tcp_conn_req_max_q=2048 or set tcp:tcp_conn_req_max_q=2048 thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chaandana
1 Replies

9. Linux

Unload kernel module at boot time (Debian Wheezy 7.2, 3.2.0-4-686-pae kernel)

Hi everyone, I am trying to prevent the ehci_hcd kernel module to load at boot time. Here's what I've tried so far: 1) Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf (as suggested here): 2) Blacklisted the module by adding the following string to 3) Tried to blacklist the module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
0 Replies
semume(5)							File Formats Manual							 semume(5)

NAME
semume - maximum number of System V IPC undo entries per process VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then this tunable is ignored and has no effect. Applications can perform "undo" operations without any system imposed limits. The tunable specifies the maximum number of System V IPC semaphores upon which a single process can have outstanding (non-zero) "undo" operations. If an application exhausts this limit, it will receive an error from For more information about System V semaphores, refer to the section of the sema(5) manpage. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then changes to this tunable are ignored and have no effect. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? If applications require more semaphore undo operations per process. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? If per-process requirements for semaphore operation has significantly decreased, or if there for limit protection on run-away applications which change semaphores. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? All the System V semaphore tunables are interrelated and should not be treated as independent variables. The tunables must be evaluated as a system to ensure they reflect the application requirements. The semaphore tunables include and Typically, a change in does not require attention to other tunables. However, changes to or might require changes to if individual application processes are expected to use fewer or more semaphores with "undo" semantics. Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then the and tunables are ignored and have no effect. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. A two-dimensional table of undo structures (~8 bytes each) is allocated in kernel memory at boot time. This memory is reserved whether or not it is used. The table dimensions are and (maximum number of per-process undo structures). So the memory requirement is approximately the product of those two tunables and the structure size. Use care when setting these two tunables, as they can have a profound effect on memory utiliza- tion, due to the multiplicative effect. Note: If the DynSysVSem optional product bundle is installed then and are ignored and have no effect. No memory is allocated at boot time. Instead "undo" structures are dynamically allocated when needed by the application and deallocated when no longer needed. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T. SEE ALSO
semop(2), sema(5), semaem(5), semmni(5), semmnu(5), semmsl(5), semmns(5), semvmx(5), sysv_hash_locks(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters semume(5)