Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: "recursive" symbolic link
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "recursive" symbolic link Post 10447 by Perderabo on Wednesday 14th of November 2001 11:29:55 AM
Old 11-14-2001
I just created a symbolic link that points to the directory in which it resides. I was able to rm the link with no problem. And I did this on HP-UX 10.20. The rm should work.

Post the output of ls and the rm command that you are using.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pthread_create returns "operation not permitted" if I try to link static?

Hello, I am trying to port some testtools we wrote from solaris to redhat linux(AMD64). If I link dynamic, set the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH, everything runs fine. If I try to link static, the pthread_create returns "operation not permitted" (error code 1). Does anybody have an idea where to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Micky
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

/dev/core "link to program crash data"

Hi there, I found a link to a file /dev/core of 17 GB Is it ok??? I couldn't find many information about it. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance, Giordano Bruno PS: I'm working with FEDORA 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Giordano Bruno
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Deleting a recursive symbolic link was a very bad idea

Well i was tidying up some files in a very important directory on our development server and somehow some plank had put a recursive sybmolic link in it. Which I the even bigger plank tried to delete from my FTP client. My FTP client then thought it would be OK to delete not only the sybmolic link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Open Source

Applescript if url of tab contains "text" click link

this works for what i need it to, but need to add function that will click on link if urloftab contains "300" the last url of each page ends in "300", so i figure that if I add a function that for every tab it open it will also search to see if url contains "300". if it contains "300" click link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilovedoritos
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
SYMLINK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							SYMLINK(2)

NAME
symlink -- make symbolic link to a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int symlink(const char *name1, const char *name2); DESCRIPTION
A symbolic link name2 is created to name1 (name2 is the name of the file created, name1 is the string used in creating the symbolic link). Either name may be an arbitrary path name; the files need not be on the same file system. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a zero value is returned. If an error occurs, the error code is stored in errno and a -1 value is returned. ERRORS
The symbolic link succeeds unless: [ENOTDIR] A component of the name2 prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] The named file does not exist. [EACCES] A component of the name2 path prefix denies search permission. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EEXIST] Name2 already exists. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry for name2, or allocating the inode for name2, or writing out the link contents of name2. [EROFS] The file name2 would reside on a read-only file system. [ENOSPC] The directory in which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because there is no space left on the file system containing the directory. [ENOSPC] The new symbolic link cannot be created because there there is no space left on the file system that will contain the sym- bolic link. [ENOSPC] There are no free inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created. [EDQUOT] The directory in which the entry for the new symbolic link is being placed cannot be extended because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system containing the directory has been exhausted. [EDQUOT] The new symbolic link cannot be created because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system that will contain the symbolic link has been exhausted. [EDQUOT] The user's quota of inodes on the file system on which the symbolic link is being created has been exhausted. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode. [EFAULT] Name1 or name2 points outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
ln(1), link(2), unlink(2) symlink(7), HISTORY
The symlink() function call appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 4, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution