Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to store username
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to store username Post 10412 by dinplant on Tuesday 13th of November 2001 08:34:33 PM
Old 11-13-2001
MySQL

Thanks!

LOGNAME / $LOGNAME worked for me.

Unixware7

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing the username

Hi, Is there a way to grab the username who is running the shell script. I am trying to do is: $ who am i Peterd123 pts/5 Mar 20 09:30 (H0021563.xyz.com) Is there a way to display only the user name above, which is"Peterd123". Thanks Raj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

What to change my username

I want to change my username how can I (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alnita
1 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

username

Is it possible to change my username in this site or is thre a way to delete my account and then create a new one with a diffrent user name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: floresr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP with '@' in username

Hi All, Good morning !! I have to connect to a sftp server using following details, 1) username contains "@" as part of it. eg: xyz@abc@servername 2) We have to use password to connect to the server. Could you please advise the solution for this? Thanks in advance Regards, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Username and password

Hi I am new to using unix and am struggling with a script i am writing. What i am trying to do is get a user to enter a username, check the original file i created with username and pin to see if their is a corresponding entry. Next ask the user to enter the pin and see if this matches... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
5 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Is it possible to change my username?

I know username is the unique id for my unix_dot_com account, but is it possible change it ? should i raise any special request to moderators ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Change of username

Hi, I'd like to change my username..... is there a mechanism to do this or can you do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Martincorneuk
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Do I need to change my Username/PW?

After mis-typing my password once, I logged in. And after the "welcome Clovis_Sangrail" message displayed for a little less than a second, the display changed to a screen to recover my username and/or my password (it prompted for an email address). Clearly, I don't need to do that. Maybe... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies
ENVIRON(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						ENVIRON(7)

NAME
environ - user environment SYNOPSIS
extern char *const *environ; DESCRIPTION
An array of strings called the `environment' is made available by execve(2) when a process begins. By convention these strings have the form `name=value'. The following names are used by various commands: PATH The sequence of directory prefixes that sh, time, nice(1), etc., apply in searching for a file known by an incomplete path name. The prefixes are separated by `:'. Login shells set PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin. Note that the empty space between the `=' and the `:' indicates the current directory. Security aware people move the extra `:' to the end of their path or omit it. HOME A user's login directory, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). TERM The kind of terminal for which output is to be prepared. This information is used by programs that wish to exploit special termi- nal capabilities, a screen oriented text editor for instance. The terminal type is set by login(1) from the tty database ttytab(5). SHELL The file name of the users login shell, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). TERMCAP The string describing the terminal in TERM, or the name of the termcap file, see termcap(5), termcap(3). EXINIT A startup list of commands read by elvis(1). USER The login name of the user, set by login(1) from the password file passwd(5). LOGNAME Set to the same value as USER. BSD derived systems have USER, System V has LOGNAME, so modern systems have both to avoid problems. Further names may be placed in the environment by the export command and `name=value' arguments in sh(1). Arguments may also be placed in their environment by programs if they use putenv(3). Or in the environment of another program by building a new environment for one of the exec functions that accepts an environment list, like execle(2) or execve(2). It is unwise to conflict with certain sh(1) variables that are frequently set and/or exported by `.profile' files: MAIL, PS1, PS2, IFS. SEE ALSO
elvis(1), login(1), sh(1), execl(2), execve(2), system(3), termcap(3), termcap(5), ttytab(5). 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 20, 1985 ENVIRON(7)