Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: get symbolic link file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers get symbolic link file Post 10393 by Perderabo on Tuesday 13th of November 2001 02:41:36 PM
Old 11-13-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by rwb1959
It should make for an interesting excercise. Smilie
It did. Smilie

I have tested the first half of the script. You will need to alter the variables at the top. Also look at the the lines marked with a comment. Make sure that the top half is working before you try the bottom half. I didn't test the bottom half, but I think it should work....

Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

HOST=xxx.abc.com
USER=andrec
PASSWD=xyzzy
DIR=directory

LIST=""
IFS=""

{ ftp -n <<-!x
        open $HOST
        user $USER $PASSWD
        cd $DIR
        dir
        bye
!x
} | while read line ; do
        firstchar=$(echo "$line" |cut -c1)
        name=$(echo "$line" | cut -c55-)  #####  adjust the 55 
        case $firstchar in
        -)      echo $name is a real file
                if [[ -z $LIST ]] ; then
                        LIST=$name
                else
                        LIST="$LIST:$name"
                fi
                ;;
        l)      echo $name is a symlink
                one=${name%% *}
                two=${name##* }
                echo ln -s $one $two   ##### lose the echo
                ;;
        esac
done

exit    ##### remove me when first half is working

#
#  Get the files  (untested)

{
print  open $HOST
print  user $USER $PASSWD
print  cd $DIR

IFS=":"
for name in $LIST ; do
        print  get $name
done
print  bye ;  } | ftp -n

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find .dat file in symbolic link

Hi, I am trying to find all files in a directory that have .dat and .int extensions and removing them. rm -f `find ${MY_DIR} -type f -name '*.dat' -o -name '*.int'` This works fine if $MY_DIR is a regular directory. However when $MY_DIR is a symbolic link then this command fails. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neeto
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link to an executable file

I have a script within my home folder and want to be able to execute it without using the sh command. I know that if it was in ~/bin and executable I could do it just by typing the file name, but would rather keep it in the current file structure I tried creating a soft link in ~/bin,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaloopa
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic link to an empty file shows size 2

Hi, I have created an empty file and a symbolic link to a file. But when I issue the following commands, I am getting the output 2. stat -c "%s" linkfile du -hb linkfile Why this is happening? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Tomcat 6.0 fails to read symlink(symbolic link) file

Hello all experts, Im in a situation where Tomcat simply does not want to read this file through the symlink.... I checked permissions..OK Also checked file & tomcat owner...all OK. This is what I have my /tomcat/conf/Catalina/local/appname.xml <Context> <Resource name="jdbc/black" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingaKoopa
3 Replies
colcrt(1)						      General Commands Manual							 colcrt(1)

Name
       colcrt - filter nroff output for CRT previewing

Syntax
       colcrt [-] [-2] [file...]

Description
       The  command provides virtual half-line and reverse line feed sequences for terminals without such capability, and on which overstriking is
       destructive.  Half-line characters and underlining (changed to dashing `-') are placed on new lines in between the normal output lines.

Options
       -  Suppresses all underlining.  It is especially useful for previewing allboxed tables from

-2 Causes half-lines to be printed, double spacing the output.  Normally, a minimal space output format is used which will  suppress  empty
	  lines.   The	program  never	suppresses  two  consecutive empty lines, however.  The -2 option is useful for sending output to the line
	  printer when the output contains superscripts and subscripts which would otherwise be invisible.

Examples
       A typical use of would be:
       tbl exum2.n | nroff -ms | colcrt - | more

Restrictions
       Can't back up more than 102 lines.

General overstriking is lost; as a special case `|' overstruck with `-' or underline becomes `+'.

Lines are trimmed to 132 characters.

See Also
       col(1), more(1), nroff(1), ul(1)

colcrt(1)