Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What’s wrong with the following? Post 102520 by amro1 on Saturday 18th of March 2006 11:30:13 PM
Old 03-19-2006
Look carefully

There's is actually one thing IS wrong. The size. The item in the list is a directory, and a directory has a fixed size structure and does not contain actuals files but only file names and references to i-node where file is located. You have only 3 reference links in your listing, thereby your directory uses only one normative block for itself and it cannot be that big as 8K as you see in a listing. You can try create directory and make files as large as you wish in it but it will not increase the file-size. The number of files kept in a directory increases amount of data associated with a directory and will increase the size on one. As I said there are only 3 hard links to your directory so there's no chance it may be 8k large. If you have questions like that take "UNIX Essentials and UNIX Core"DVD course it is widely available and all this stuff is explained there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What am I doing wrong

When I execute following shell script I am getting the following error syntax error at line 50 : `<<' unmatched What am I doing wrong :confused: Script begins here ---------------- MPAN_FILE=$1 exec 3<$MPAN_FILE ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please tell me what do I do wrong here!

#!/usr/bin/csh # DAY=`date +%y%m%d` H=`date +%H` M=`date +%M` mailx -s "$H-Myfile" email@email.com</home/mydir/myfile Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anything wrong with this

Does anyone see anything wrong with this. #getInfraFiles() #{ # cd Infra/$DAY # rm * # /usr/bin/ftp -i -n $LINE << cmd # user "$USER" "$PASSWD" # cd $INFRAPATH # binary # mget * # bye #} besides that its commented out (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong here

Hello, I have a simple script such as ----------------------------- #! /bin/sh YEAR=`date -u +%Y`; MONTH=`date -u +%m`; DAY=`date -u +%d`; DATE=$MONTH$DAY$YEAR LOGFILES=auditTrail-$DATE LOGMATCH=$LOGFILES\* ARGUM='' # find all files and write them to a file find . -name... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What am I doing wrong?

I really just mess around in UNIX, for the most part, when I want to get something done. I can usually piece things together by searching for brief how-to's on Google, but the syntax errors in my following .sh file are really confusing me. I've got lots of programming experience in other places, so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: demonpants
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is wrong with this tr -d?

here is my command in bash shell on Mac OS X tiger: history | tr -d emacs here is what I get: hitory | grp "" | tr -d "" hitory | grp "" | tr -d """" hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d '' hitory | grp "" | tr -d... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

what I m doing wrong?

when user select option 2 nothing happen.for testing purpose I put echo command but is not executing . basically when user prompt for option 2,I want to get list of database name from user separeted by space (TEST DEVL) and put into the file seprated by new line TEST DEVL after that stay on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: okreporthai
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is wrong in here ???

]#PATH=/usr/bin:/etc:/bin:/boot/grub:/boot/grup/bin: /boot/solaris/bin:/sbin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/5bin://usr/X11/bin:/usr/apache/bin:/usr/apache2/bin:/usr/appserver/bin:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: microbot
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What am I doing wrong here?

I am working on a simple login ID check shell script that should prompt for a user ID then check to see if this user is logged on. Trying to get the hang of this stuff so I am thinking of my own little projects. #! /bin/sh echo "please enter a user name" read user if user=$user then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsk319342
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies
CURLOPT_DIRLISTONLY(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options					    CURLOPT_DIRLISTONLY(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_DIRLISTONLY - ask for names only in a directory listing SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_DIRLISTONLY, long listonly); DESCRIPTION
For FTP and SFTP based URLs a parameter set to 1 tells the library to list the names of files in a directory, rather than performing a full directory listing that would normally include file sizes, dates etc. For POP3 a parameter of 1 tells the library to list the email message or messages on the POP3 server. This can be used to change the default behaviour of libcurl, when combined with a URL that contains a message ID, to perform a "scan listing" which can then be used to determine the size of an email. Note: For FTP this causes a NLST command to be sent to the FTP server. Beware that some FTP servers list only files in their response to NLST; they might not include subdirectories and symbolic links. Setting this option to 1 also implies a directory listing even if the URL doesn't end with a slash, which otherwise is necessary. Do NOT use this option if you also use CURLOPT_WILDCARDMATCH(3) as it will effectively break that feature then. DEFAULT
0, disabled PROTOCOLS
FTP, SFTP and POP3 EXAMPLE
TODO AVAILABILITY
This option was known as CURLOPT_FTPLISTONLY up to 7.16.4. POP3 is supported since 7.21.5. RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK if the option is supported, and CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION if not. SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 03, 2016 CURLOPT_DIRLISTONLY(3)