Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hp-ux or not?
Operating Systems HP-UX hp-ux or not? Post 102202 by Perderabo on Thursday 16th of March 2006 08:30:07 AM
Old 03-16-2006
You have an OSF1 system and that is not HP-UX. OSF1 is an old version of Unix that runs on DEC Alphas. Compaq bought DEC, then HP bought Compaq. By the the time HP acquired Compaq, OSF1 was obsolete. The current OS for Alpha systems is Tru64 and HP supports Tru64. This still does not make Tru64 the same as HP-UX. I think that I have all this correct. But I am not an expert on Alphas, OSF1, nor Tru64.

UNAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname -- Print operating system name SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnprsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility writes symbols representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output. The following options are available: -a Behave as though all of the options -mnrsv were specified. -m print the machine hardware name. -n print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). -p print the machine processor architecture name. -r print the operating system release. -s print the operating system name. -v print the operating system version. If no options are specified, uname prints the operating system name as if the -s option had been specified. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), machine(1), sw_vers(1), uname(3) STANDARDS
The uname utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -p option is an extension to the standard. BSD
November 9, 1998 BSD