Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print the first 5 lines in which 2 files differs Post 102139 by Raom on Thursday 16th of March 2006 01:06:09 AM
Old 03-16-2006
use comm and head

comm -13 file1 file2 | head -5
comm -23 file1 file2 |head -5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print the two lines with difference

I have two files like this: #FILE 1 ABCD 4322 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 58978 #FILE 2 ABCD 4321 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 68978 What to do: Compare the two files and find those lines that doesn't match. And have a new file like this: #FILE 3 "from file 1" ABCD 4322 26485... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to print the certain lines in a file to different files

Hi All, File that I have: <ct> <name>group <value>1 <value>2 <value>3 </ct>-->file The output that I needed is <ct> <name>group <value>1 -->file1 <ct> <name>group <value>2 -->file2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: natalie23
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print lines into multiple files

Hi, i have an input text file like this: Student 1 maths science = Student 2 maths science = Student 3 maths science i would like to print each student information into separate files, each student id is separated by "=". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint2006
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Look up between 2 files and print matching lines

Hi, I have 2 large log files in .gz format file 1 contains abcde 12345 23456 . . . . . . . . 09123 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindj80
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files and print unique lines

Hi friends, I have multiple files. For now, let's say I have two of the following style cat 1.txt cat 2.txt output.txt Please note that my files are not sorted and in the output file I need another extra column that says the file from which it is coming. I have more than 100... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print first 20 lines from all .log files

RHEL 5.8 In a directory I have more than 200 files with the extension .log Using head command I want to print first 20 lines of each log file. For each .log file, it should print like below Printing first 20 lines of : GRP_error_April29.log Apr 29 04:02:05 raptor03b syslogd 1.4.1:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print n lines from top and n lines from bottom of all files with .log extenstion

Oracle Linux 6.4 In a directory I have more than 300 files with the extension .log I want the first 5 and last 5 lines of these .log files to be printed on screen with each file's name. Expected output : Printing first 5 and last 5 lines of FX_WT_Feb8_2014.log !! Authentication... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
comm(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two sorted files SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
comm reads file1 and file2, which should be ordered in increasing collating sequence (see sort(1) and Environment Variables below), and produces a three-column output: Column 1: Lines that appear only in file1, Column 2: Lines that appear only in file2, Column 3: Lines that appear in both files. If is used for file1 or file2, the standard input is used. Options 1, 2, or 3 suppress printing of the corresponding column. Thus prints only the lines common to the two files; prints only lines in the first file but not in the second; does nothing useful. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the collating sequence expects from the input files. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of ``C'' (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to ``C''. See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following examples assume that and have been ordered in the collating sequence defined by the or environment variable. Print all lines common to and (in other words, print column 3): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 1): Print all lines that appear in but not in (in other words, print column 2): SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sdiff(1), sort(1), uniq(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
comm(1)