Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how can i write the following statements on one line? Post 102046 by Perderabo on Wednesday 15th of March 2006 08:50:16 AM
Old 03-15-2006
Well I would suggest that you don't do "cat menu | wc -l". Instead use "wc -l < menu". This saves a process. And I don't have the context of this code snippet, so I guess I will assume it is basicly correct despite the fact that "wc -l" is counting lines but you label the output "characters".

So my solution for ksh or bash is:

echo "There are $(wc -l < menu) characters in the text."

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to place the output of two different echo statements on one line

Hello there, I wrote a shell script to modify the code for some of our clients in our client database. Before starting the data modification the program performs a few checks. When a check is being performed, it should be shown on the screen of the user running the program, the result of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoBa
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write multiple echo statements in unix?

How to write multiple echo statements in unix? echo "************************************************************************************************************"; echo This Script do the following functions echo 1. Point 1 echo 2. Point 2 echo 3. Point 3 echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shrutiduggal
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-write first line of a file before printing

Morning All, Quite a simple one this, I hope. What I want to do is to re-write the first line of a file before it's sent to print. The line will be blank initially, and I want to insert some text. The operation can either be done on the file itself (modifying the file on disk), OR in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexop
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write next line program

Hi, I am having an input file which contains a group of words,if one specific word comes which goes to next line. example: input file===> shashi country= india comapny= none shashi shashi company= NONE shashi=my name output===> shashi country= india comapny= none shashi shashi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write in a file with pipe also in same line

hi, i want to write in a file the output of one command and pile also the same output like ls -lrt > some_file | wc -l (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: narang.mohit
9 Replies

6. IP Networking

read/write,write/write lock with smbclient fails

Hi, We have smb client running on two of the linux boxes and smb server on another linux system. During a backup operation which uses smb, read of a file was allowed while write to the same file was going on.Also simultaneous writes to the same file were allowed.Following are the settings in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swatidas11
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash if statements in one line

I have the following bash code, and wondering if it is possible (and a good idea) to write the if statements in one line. # Run raytrac on the sound speed model. if ; then $bashPath/raytrac.bash -fcmd=$fcmd.cmd fi # Plot the travel times and ray paths. if ; then ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write condition in one line ?

Hello, here is my condition that is working fine, but I would like to know how to write it in one line then Control fi Control is a function that will be read only if the ${file} does not exist. Thanks for your help ; ) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I write variables to same line of a file?

I am trying to keep variables in a file. if I have all variables at the same time, I can write them all like below. echo $var1","$var2","$var3 But, these variables are being calculated at different times then they are lost so I want to keep them in a file seperated by "," . echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snr_silencer
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

One Line Command how to use pipe statements to execute and comment on multiple possible outcomes

Hello Forum, I'm looking to expand the following command: INACTIVE_KERNELS=$(python -mplatform | grep -qi red && rpm -qa | grep '^kernel-' |grep -vE `uname -r` | paste -sd \; || echo "Not Red Hat Server") Currently this command will check if my server is RedHat server using the grep -qi... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)