Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using find to locate hard and soft links with tar Post 101921 by blowtorch on Tuesday 14th of March 2006 07:21:00 AM
Old 03-14-2006
manthasirisha,

Please note that we are not obligated to reply to your posts. Everyone on this forum has a job as a sysadmin, or a programmer or are students and are helping out on the forums in their free time.

You have already used the find command with the type predicate. Use the same command:
Code:
find . -type l -exec ls -l {} \;

This find will list all files that are soft (symbolic) links. Is this what you want?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links: (soft, hard? symbolic??) inode

Hi, what is link? and soft link? how about hard one and symbolic link. and inode. i get confuse about this links. could anyone help me with full explainsion? thks Gusla (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusla
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

links.... soft or hard.. not sure?

hi, i am in a directory, have 2 files as below then do a ls -l gives the below lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/filea lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 23 Mar 08 2001 filea -> /adir/fileb now, when i do a cd /adir, the system said, adir not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find all soft links in a directory

I need the command to find all soft links in a directory. Can someone please help. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgeo01
2 Replies

4. Programming

creating soft links

i'm trying to write a c code to copy a soft link over to a specified directory. Is it possible to do this without using symlink()? if so, what can I use? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Hard Links and Soft or Sym links

When loooking at files in a directory using ls, how can I tell if I have a hard link or soft link? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
11 Replies

6. AIX

List all the soft links and hard links

Hi I'm logged in as root in an aix box Which command will list all the soft links and hard links present in the server ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple example for soft and hard links

Hai, give me a simple example for soft and hard links. this will work for soft link ?? ln -s (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh M
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create tar file excluding all hard links

I have a problem with tar. Taring a folder with a lot of contents, causes the tar to contain hard links to some files, seen with the same name but 0 in size. The hard links don't exist in the first place. How can I prevent that from happening? I am using the -T option with either -n or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp change for hard and soft links

Hi team, i am writing a purge script to delete softlinks and hardlinks on linux system which are 3/10/30 days old. To test the script i need to create links with old timestamp, i am able to cange timestamp for files but not for links. i tried touch -h option but this option is not available on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft links question

Hello. I have some main directories. For example : /main_dir1 /main_dir2In main_dir2, I have a sub dir named sub_dir2-1 with 2 files in it ( file_2-1, file_2-2 ) /main_dir2sub_dir2-1file_2-1 file_2-2From "/main_dir1/A/B/C" I make a soft link ln -s /main_dir2/sub_dir2-1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies
FIND(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FIND(1)

NAME
find - find files SYNOPSIS
find pathname-list expression DESCRIPTION
Find recursively descends the directory hierarchy for each pathname in the pathname-list (i.e., one or more pathnames) seeking files that match a boolean expression written in the primaries given below. In the descriptions, the argument n is used as a decimal integer where +n means more than n, -n means less than n and n means exactly n. -name filename True if the filename argument matches the current file name. Normal Shell argument syntax may be used if escaped (watch out for `[', `?' and `*'). -perm onum True if the file permission flags exactly match the octal number onum (see chmod(1)). If onum is prefixed by a minus sign, more flag bits (017777, see stat(2)) become significant and the flags are compared: (flags&onum)==onum. -type c True if the type of the file is c, where c is b, c, d or f for block special file, character special file, directory or plain file. -links n True if the file has n links. -user uname True if the file belongs to the user uname (login name or numeric user ID). -group gname True if the file belongs to group gname (group name or numeric group ID). -size n True if the file is n blocks long (512 bytes per block). -inum n True if the file has inode number n. -atime n True if the file has been accessed in n days. -mtime n True if the file has been modified in n days. -exec command True if the executed command returns a zero value as exit status. The end of the command must be punctuated by an escaped semi- colon. A command argument `{}' is replaced by the current pathname. -ok command Like -exec except that the generated command is written on the standard output, then the standard input is read and the command executed only upon response y. -print Always true; causes the current pathname to be printed. -newer file True if the current file has been modified more recently than the argument file. The primaries may be combined using the following operators (in order of decreasing precedence): 1) A parenthesized group of primaries and operators (parentheses are special to the Shell and must be escaped). 2) The negation of a primary (`!' is the unary not operator). 3) Concatenation of primaries (the and operation is implied by the juxtaposition of two primaries). 4) Alternation of primaries (`-o' is the or operator). EXAMPLE
To remove all files named `a.out' or `*.o' that have not been accessed for a week: find / ( -name a.out -o -name '*.o' ) -atime +7 -exec rm {} ; FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/group SEE ALSO
sh(1), test(1), filsys(5) BUGS
The syntax is painful. FIND(1)