Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem Opening X-Clients in Solaris Post 101760 by mahatma on Monday 13th of March 2006 01:08:55 AM
Old 03-13-2006
Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTM

To run dtlogin on a headless system (a system without a frame
buffer), do the following:

- copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers
- edit /etc/dt/config/Xservers and comment out the last line
(insert the # character at the beginning of the line):

# :0 Local local_uid@console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner

This will prevent the console from starting an Xserver or an X-windows
display manager, but will allow X-windows applications to be run on the
system and be remotely displayed to other systems.
What is a headless system (you mean without a video card/monitor?). Yes my server is headless! Anyhow, I was already able to access Xappls by opening dummy Xserver session in my PC)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTM
If you are using the XDM login manager on your system, comment out the last
line of /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/Xservers:

# :0 Local local /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/StartOW :0

This will prevent the console from starting OpenWindows.

Note: dtlogin and XDM, besides displaying the login banners on the console
of a machine, also allow remote machines to connect their displays to this
system (and also allow eXceed or other X-emulator applications to connect to
this system)
The contents of my /usr/openwin/lib/xdm/Xservers file:

:0 Local local /usr/openwin/lib/X11/xdm/StartX

I have tried after commenting this line too. It still doesnt work!

Regards,
M...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 server and Jumpstarting 2.6 clients

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have successfully configured a Solaris 8 server with Jumpstart! I can Jumpstart Solaris 8 client systems with no problem. My configuration is as follows: Jumpstart Server: Solaris 8 patched with Recommended Patches from June 05. I have installed Solaris 8 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
4 Replies

2. AIX

Problem opening port 9998

Hi there, I have been trying to open port 9998 on an AIX 5.1 box to no avail. This machine is not connected to the internet and I have only been accessing it locally, so I know it's not a network firewall/proxy issue. I have tried editing /etc/services and inetd.conf, refreshing inetd.conf, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erica057
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Following problem when opening shell script (Very Urgent)

Hi All, Actually when i am trying to open my shell script file 1.sh then i am getting the following error. > vi 1.sh "/var/tmp/ExdNaarK" No space left on device Can anybody tell me that how to rectify it. It is very urgent. Because i am not able to do any work due to the above error. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

problem opening TCP ports

Please can somebody help me. I'm trying to open ports 999, 1982 and 1983 but am not having much luck. I used iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 999 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --sport 1982 -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT iptables... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehaapyappy
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem in opening UNIX file in Windows

Hi , I am having file in unix with size (386796649) , below is the output of ls command in UNIX. I have ftp'ed the file to my windows machine . When i tried to open the file it is not opening . Why it is so . Is there is size limit. -rw-rw-rw- 1 p10 pQQ 98473 Sep 17 17:20... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Benchmarking a new Solaris, with four different clients

Good morning, for the impatient: I have a new backup-server and need to monitor, what the machine can do, what's the best way of finding that out? I will tell the story right from the beginning, so you have a clue about what's going on: I have a setup of three machines: A new... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
6 Replies

7. Programming

Problem in opening a file!

Hello All, I am new to programming in unix. I am trying to create a file by using open command. The entire file is : #include<fcntl.h> main(void){ int fd; fd = open("File1", O_CREAT|O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR|S_IRWXO); printf("%d ", fd); } The problem I am facing a strange problem.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Clients for Solaris IPSEC tunnel

Hi all, I'm running solaris x86_64 as a home server and am quite happy with it. Currently I'm working with Solaris 10 and 11 express. Typically I tunnel traffic to it via ssh with port forwards, but I'm interested in using the built in IPSEC features that Solaris has. I've setup a solaris... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vectox
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with grep opening a file

Hello All, Here is my silly question on grep.. Here is my code.. DAY=$(date --date="yesterday" +%y.%m.%d) check "grep -h ' 404 ' /home/sathya/SystemOut.log /home/sathya/SystemOut_${DAY}*.log " Where check is alias which makes to run this command in all my Servers. When I execute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening different UNIX ssh clients simentously

Hi Team , Please advise is thee any ssh terminal open source software by which I can watch all the 4 unix boxes at same time and whatever i will type will get printed on all the 4 different unix boxes at the same time for example one i know is Moba Xterm ssh client software I have share the url... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuntun06060606
1 Replies
SESSREG(1)						      General Commands Manual							SESSREG(1)

NAME
sessreg - manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init clients SYNOPSIS
sessreg [-w wtmp-file] [-u utmp-file] [-L lastlog-file] [-l line-name] [-h host-name] [-s slot-number] [-x Xservers-file] [-t ttys-file] [-a] [-d] user-name DESCRIPTION
Sessreg is a simple program for managing utmp/wtmp and lastlog entries for xdm sessions. System V has a better interface to utmp than BSD; it dynamically allocates entries in the file, instead of writing them at fixed positions indexed by position in /etc/ttys. To manage BSD-style utmp files, sessreg has two strategies. In conjunction with xdm, the -x option counts the number of lines in /etc/ttys and then adds to that the number of the line in the Xservers file which specifies the display. The display name must be specified as the "line-name" using the -l option. This sum is used as the "slot-number" in the utmp file that this entry will be written at. In the more general case, the -s option specifies the slot-number directly. If for some strange reason your system uses a file other than /etc/ttys to manage init, the -t option can direct sessreg to look elsewhere for a count of terminal sessions. Conversely, System V managers will not ever need to use these options (-x, -s and -t). To make the program easier to document and explain, sessreg accepts the BSD-specific flags in the System V environment and ignores them. BSD and Linux also have a host-name field in the utmp file which doesn't exist in System V. This option is also ignored by the System V version of sessreg. USAGE
In Xstartup, place a call like: sessreg -a -l $DISPLAY -x /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers $USER and in Xreset: sessreg -d -l $DISPLAY -x /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers $USER OPTIONS
-w wtmp-file This specifies an alternate wtmp file, instead of /var/log/wtmp. The special name "none" disables writing records to the wtmp file. -u utmp-file This specifies an alternate utmp file, instead of /var/run/utmp. The special name "none" disables writing records to the utmp file. -L lastlog-file This specifies an alternate lastlog file, instead of /var/log/lastlog, if the platform supports lastlog files. The special name "none" disables writing records to the lastlog file. -l line-name This describes the "line" name of the entry. For terminal sessions, this is the final pathname segment of the terminal device file- name (e.g. ttyd0). For X sessions, it should probably be the local display name given to the users session (e.g. :0). If none is specified, the terminal name will be determined with ttyname(3) and stripped of leading components. -h host-name This is set for BSD hosts to indicate that the session was initiated from a remote host. In typical xdm usage, this options is not used. -s slot-number Each potential session has a unique slot number in BSD systems, most are identified by the position of the line-name in the /etc/ttysfile. This option overrides the default position determined with ttyslot(3). This option is inappropriate for use with xdm, the -x option is more useful. -x Xservers-file As X sessions are one-per-display, and each display is entered in this file, this options sets the slot-number to be the number of lines in the ttys-file plus the index into this file that the line-name is found. -t ttys-file This specifies an alternate file which the -x option will use to count the number of terminal sessions on a host. -a This session should be added to utmp/wtmp. -d This session should be deleted from utmp/wtmp. One of -a/-d must be specified. SEE ALSO
xdm(1), utmpx(5) AUTHOR
Keith Packard, MIT X Consortium X Version 11 sessreg 1.0.7 SESSREG(1)