Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: /dev/rmt/0cn
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers /dev/rmt/0cn Post 10127 by guest100 on Thursday 8th of November 2001 09:16:17 AM
Old 11-08-2001
Severd_Nerv,

This is TOTALLY irrelevant with the current thread, sorry.

The thread is:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. If you wanted to restore a file from that second dump, you would first need to "mt fsf" to get there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I "ufsdump" many file systems as you said one after the other using the no rewind optionbut when I do a restore I use 'ufsrestore si (Number)' and restore the appropriate file system.

What do you mean by that ??

quote:
. You better specify the no rewind when you do. Then for the restore, you could use an auto-rewind special file.

Thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/dev/rmt empty

hi all , i have just installed solris 9 on a sun 280R ,and i have appleid the recommended patches . after the installation i have found that /dev/rmt/ directory is empty , i thought that was normal , so i attached my DDS4 external tape drive and treid : devfsadm -C devfsadm -v reboot --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppass
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address" when using mt command

/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address I get this when I do a "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" This is on a Solaris 7 system. I tried devfsadm -c tape and drvconfig ; tape and both didn't work. Help please....... :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

3. AIX

dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed.

Hi. After the shutdown for SWIFT Alliance Server, tape backup process will be done. Unfortunately, I encountered this error message when I performed the database tape backup. The error was "/dev/rmt 0.1 block size is 0; variable; must be 1024 fixed. Consider reconfiguration through 'chdev'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MariaLuisa
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Empty /dev/rmt

Hi Guys, I a newbie in Unix environment. I need a help to detect my external SCSI tape drive. I tried with command drvconfig;devlinks;tapes.. but when I go to /dev/rmt/, the directory is still empty. I also tried with add_drv -v st but I'm getting this message # add_drv -v st exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akuslive
8 Replies

5. AIX

How to prevent /dev/rmt* re-assignments

Hi all, Sometimes, when I reboot my AIX server, my tape drive /dev/rmt# assignments change. This creates some tedious TSM work prior to and after a reboot of the server. Is there a way to ensure that the /dev/rmt# assignments come up the same every time? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwholey
5 Replies

6. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

7. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

9. AIX

/dev/rmt devices are missing

Hello, I attached a tape drive to one of my partitions but i cannot find the device. I run the command lsdev|grep rmt but i dont get anything in return. When i run lsslot -c slot i can see the slot number and the device that belongs to the tape drive but i cannot find any rmt files in /dev.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16)

Hi, Unable to make tape backup, please help. /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery -a /dev/rmt/?mn -I -v -m tar -x inc_entire=vg00 * Creating local directories for configuration files and archive. ======= 04/25/16 16:28:08 IST Started /opt/ignite/bin/make_tape_recovery. (Mon... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies
READ_TAPE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						      READ_TAPE(8)

NAME
read_tape - Reads volume dumps from a backup tape to a file SYNOPSIS
read_tape -tape <tape device> -restore <# of volumes to restore> -skip <# of volumes to skip> -file <filename> [-scan] [-noask] [-label] [-vheaders] [-verbose] [-help] DESCRIPTION
read_tape reads an OpenAFS backup tape and prompts for each dump file to save. This command does not require any OpenAFS infrastructure. This command does not need an OpenAFS client or server to be available, which is not the case with the backup(8) command. The dump files will be named for the Read/Write name of the volume restored. After saving each dump file, vos restore or restorevol can be used to restore the volume into AFS and non-AFS space respectively. read_tape reads the tape while skipping the specified number of volumes. After that, it restores the specified number of volumes. read_tape doesn't rewind the tape so that it may be used multiple times in succession. OPTIONS
-tape <tape device> Specifies the tape device from which to restore. -restore <# of volumes to restore> Specifies the number of volumes to restore from tape. -skip <# of volumes to skip> Specifies the number of volumes to skip before starting the restore. -file <filename> Specifies an alternate name for the restored volume dump file rather than the default of the volume name. -scan Scans the tape. -noask Doesn't prompt for each volume. -label Displays the full dump label. -vheaders Displays the full volume headers. -verbose Produces on the standard output stream a detailed trace of the command's execution. If this argument is omitted, only warnings and error messages appear. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command will read the third through fifth volumes from the tape device /dev/tape without prompting: % read_tape -tape /dev/tape -skip 2 -restore 3 -noask PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have access to read and write to the specified tape device. SEE ALSO
backup(8), restorevol(1), vos_restore(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 READ_TAPE(8)