Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Opening output file while still in process Post 100789 by vino on Thursday 2nd of March 2006 03:07:01 AM
Old 03-02-2006
Try

Code:
cat output.txt

Better yet,
Code:
tail -f output.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file > process > output to file

Hi all, OK, I am totally new to shell scripting as I just started today. All I want from shell scripting is something very basic, and I've been searching for tutorials on "processing files" and I could not find a suitable one for my level. I want to read two columns from a data file, one raw... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lorna
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write process output to a file

When I run <ls -l> to get a list of all the files, I want the displayed result to be written to a text file. Is there a way to do that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kn.naresh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top output for a specific process to a file

Hi, I have the following script, and it is driving me nuts. It just hangs, I've tried all kinds of tricks, but it won't work. I know it can, it is pretty straight forward. It hangs when it tries to output $X Any help appreciated! #!/bin/bash set -o xtrace command="top -b"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloke
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron for windows, process is OK, but application is not opening

Dear All, I need a help. i have an mapped drive application. I want to start this application using cron. I have downloaded cron setup from the below link: www.kalab.com/freeware/cron/cron.htm And it crontab file works fine. But if i want to start an application. Then process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasanth.vadalur
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending process output into a file

Hello Friends, I'm trying to save process status of root user sorting by CPU usage. However i couldnt save the continuous, standard outputs into a file. Do you have any idea to do it? prstat -u root -a -s cpu | sed -e '/^$/d;/sleep/d;/Total/d' >> stat.txt >ls -l stat.txt -rw-r--r-- 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process select list of files and output to the same file?

Hi, I've a list of files ac_info.tps, subscription_array.tps, .......and many other files one of the file, bin_range_list.tps has the following content CREATE OR REPLACE TYPE "BIN_RANGE_LIST" AS TABLE OF BIN_RANGE_ELEM; / grant execute on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I send output of a background process to a file other than nohup.out?

I have a question. I will be running a background process using nohup and & command at end. I want to send output to a file say myprocess.out. So will this command work? nohup myprocess.ksh > myprocess.out & Thanks in advance guys !!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Soft kill a process to redirect the last kbytes output to a file

Hey guys, I have a python script that I call with this line: python mypythonscript.py >> results.csv &The problem is that the redirection from the stdout to the file results.csv only writes 4096 kbyte blocks. So if i kill this process with kill the last kbytes that the script produce will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mastaer
6 Replies
NOHUP(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)