Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Programming in ksh and not in bash Post 100401 by TARFU on Monday 27th of February 2006 09:41:12 AM
Old 02-27-2006
Error Programming in ksh and not in bash

Hi all....

I was wondering if there is a lot of differences between /bash and ksh programming.

Im learning about bash programming, but all what I had read in this forum, points me to learn more about ksh over bash. Is that right and why?

Unfortunately, I can’t write ksh progs on my work, cause it was blocked and its not in the /bin directoy Smilie

Well.... is it really so different bash from ksh ?

Thanks a lot.........

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for ksh programming documentation

Hello, I am looking for documentation about shell programmation in ksh. I have to understand what are doing some scripts and I am rather a dummy in UNIX. What web site or book would you advice me ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filippo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

obtaining a line number in ksh programming

Hi People, how do i obtain the line number of a ksh shell script that i am working on For example in C,when u key in __LINE__ will return u the current line number of the src code. regards wilson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsontan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash and ksh: variable lost in loop in bash?

Hi, I use AIX (ksh) and Linux (bash) servers. I'm trying to do scripts to will run in both ksh and bash, and most of the time it works. But this time I don't get it in bash (I'm more familar in ksh). The goal of my script if to read a "config file" (like "ini" file), and make various report.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estienne
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help bash programming

how to i grep a keyword which ignore upper case or lower case. for an example : user enter CoUcH and the grep also can grep couch which in text.txt although upper or loever case is different .. how to do that ? any idea? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CheeSen
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Programming to read and mail fields

I have a file with the following values: File name à a.log (bulk file with 100+ lines with the similar format) aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii| aaaa|bbbb|cccc|dddd|eeee|ffff|gggg|hhhh|iiii|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivacbz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Programming

Write a Shell script to analyse the disk usage of students in a particular class. The program should allow the user running the script to input the particular class name (group name) as an argument to the script. The script should create a file called “logfile” in the home directory of the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bumdeal2
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash programming

how do you allow a user to input a particular group name as an argument?? thnx for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bumdeal2
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash preferred or ksh with bash features

I'm a user on a fairly locked down sys V server. By default, I have ksh set as my default shell. I added to my .profile: bash -o vi so when I login, it goes into bash so I can take advantage of tab completion and use the up key to bring up previous commands. However, whenever I want to exit, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh programming ..Any new ideas??

Hi masters I am in search for a script i am unable to write,I am not getting a proper logic .Could u pls help me ? I have a program that will create the directory named thatday date (eg :08.24.10) .This progam runs daily and creates directories according to date. Now i want to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: silu
3 Replies

10. Programming

Shell programming ksh AIX - beginner

Hi! I have two shell scripts - Script1, Script2 Script1, Script2 - have return parameter Script1 - is calling Script2 in Script2 I am calling program sqlldr - if this program is called then I did not get the return parameter from Script1 Do You have any idea how can I avoid this problem. Mroki (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mroki
6 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)