Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: not allow rlogin
Special Forums Cybersecurity not allow rlogin Post 100400 by RTM on Monday 27th of February 2006 09:26:23 AM
Old 02-27-2006
There are a couple of things you can look at - it matters what your servers are using and how they are set up.

You can either look into changing on server B your /etc/hosts.allow and/or /etc/hosts.deny files (if you are using tcp wrappers), OR, you can shutdown the rsh services in /etc/inetd.conf. See the man page for inetd.conf and inetd.

You can also look to see if /etc/hosts.equiv exist - it may be granting the access there.

Before changing anything - you need to understand what it may do to something that IS okay between these servers (maybe remote copy is needed so turning off all rsh services would not be the way to go).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rlogin???

From any computer on our network when you rlogin into one machine (this only happens on this machine) it'll hang for about 3 minutes before loggin into that machine. If your sick of waiting you can do a <ctrl> C and then it'll rlogin into the machine it is meant to BUT it wont keep the shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin

Hi, I have a script and need to use rlogin to access "server1". As there will be different servers used and there will be different usernames and passwords. Is it possible to pass the server name, username and password as arguments on the command line and the script work from there. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin

I'm comparing a table from two databases on two different servers to check for equality. 1. How do I use rlogin from a script , is it like this ? rlogin -l $username $server1 where $username and $server1 are passed from the command line. 2.create a copy of that table, compress it and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seaten
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

rlogin problem

On the HP-UX hostA, the command rlogin hostB generates the error "rlogind: Host address mismatch" even though the hostname & IP of hostA are defined in the .rhosts file and the /etc/hosts files of hostB respectively. The IP and the hostname of hostB are defined in the /etc/hosts file of hostA. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysharma.vs
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rlogin issues

hi i got 3 boxes, boxA, boxB, boxC i can do the below boxA> ufsdump 0fu boxB:/mydirectory/myfile /myfile boxA> rlogin boxB is okay but when i do the below boxA> ufsdump 0fu boxC:/mydirectory/myfile /myfile, system says error, boxA> rlogin boxC got error on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rlogin

i got a dout in rlogin . whether rlogin is same as telnet (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanmugam
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem in rlogin

Dear Experts, i want to make one script ,by running that script it should rlogin from one mashine to another and the username and passord should be in the script so that it could not ask from me the username and password of another machine from me . please help me out. Regards, SHARY (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shary
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

rlogin

Hi all, i need to remotely execute a couple of commands on anyother server, but rsh is not allowed. for that matter i am bound to use rlogin. so what i am trying to do in the script is : 1) rlogin asad 2) Wait for Login prompt 3) Waiting for Password Prompt 4) Once authenticated, execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asadlone
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

rlogin,telnet-different or same?

Hai guys, Both "rlogin" and "telnet" are used to login remote host.Is there any differece between these 2 commands? (or) are both same? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Felicia23
1 Replies

10. Solaris

rlogin help!

Guys, I'm running solaris 9 on two systems: 1 and 2, let's say. From 1, if I say rlogin 2, i can just login. No passwd prompt! From 2, if I say rlogin 1, it asks for the passwd. (able to login with a passwd) But, they both have the same config files, same set up, same network etc. What... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
13 Replies
TCPDCHK(8)						      System Manager's Manual							TCPDCHK(8)

NAME
tcpdchk - tcp wrapper configuration checker SYNOPSIS
tcpdchk [-a] [-d] [-i inet_conf] [-v] DESCRIPTION
tcpdchk examines your tcp wrapper configuration and reports all potential and real problems it can find. The program examines the tcpd access control files (by default, these are /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny), and compares the entries in these files against entries in the inetd or tlid network configuration files. tcpdchk reports problems such as non-existent pathnames; services that appear in tcpd access control rules, but are not controlled by tcpd; services that should not be wrapped; non-existent host names or non-internet address forms; occurrences of host aliases instead of official host names; hosts with a name/address conflict; inappropriate use of wildcard patterns; inappropriate use of NIS netgroups or references to non-existent NIS netgroups; references to non-existent options; invalid arguments to options; and so on. Where possible, tcpdchk provides a helpful suggestion to fix the problem. OPTIONS
-a Report access control rules that permit access without an explicit ALLOW keyword. This applies only when the extended access control language is enabled (build with -DPROCESS_OPTIONS). -d Examine hosts.allow and hosts.deny files in the current directory instead of the default ones. -i inet_conf Specify this option when tcpdchk is unable to find your inetd.conf or tlid.conf network configuration file, or when you suspect that the program uses the wrong one. -v Display the contents of each access control rule. Daemon lists, client lists, shell commands and options are shown in a pretty- printed format; this makes it easier for you to spot any discrepancies between what you want and what the program understands. FILES
The default locations of the tcpd access control tables are: /etc/hosts.allow /etc/hosts.deny SEE ALSO
tcpdmatch(8), explain what tcpd would do in specific cases. hosts_access(5), format of the tcpd access control tables. hosts_options(5), format of the language extensions. inetd.conf(5), format of the inetd control file. tlid.conf(5), format of the tlid control file. AUTHORS
Wietse Venema (wietse@wzv.win.tue.nl), Department of Mathematics and Computing Science, Eindhoven University of Technology Den Dolech 2, P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands TCPDCHK(8)