Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirecting serial inputs to a file? Post 100347 by blowtorch on Monday 27th of February 2006 12:08:28 AM
Old 02-27-2006
I dont know if the following code will work, but since all devices are essentially files, maybe you could do this:
Code:
while read message; do
echo $message > /path/to/file_you_want
done < /dev/path_to_serial_device

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading in two inputs from a file

Hi all, I've been assigned the task of modifying a script which reads in names of tables from a list file, exports a 30 days worth of data from these tables, then deletes the table. The list file will now contain a table name and a number next to it indicating how many days to archive. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadHatter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs from a file

Hi, I have a shell script that has to taken inputs from a file say "Inputs". Now I take 2 inputs at a time. Suppose the Inputs file contains numbers like 2 3 4 5 Now I have a written a script for adding 2 numbers. When I run the script for first time 2 and 3 must be the inputs. When i run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating inputs from a file

Hi, I have a file called inputs. Now that file has the values like this: 1 2 3 Now In my script called 'get.sh' I do this : exec < inputs read a b c d Now I know that there will not be any value in d. How can I check it. I need the exact condition for checking whether the variable has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the format of inputs in a file

Hi, I have a script that takes the contents of another file as inputs. Its assumed that there are 3 values in the input file that are seperated by '|'. I have to check in my script, whether the filed seperator used in the input file is '|' or not. If its not a '|' I have to print a error... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the File Paths for Inputs and Outputs

I have couple of shell scripts. Each shell script accepts command line argument as inputfilename. Each shell script creates a summary file, status file. All these files are stored in a particular directory...Eg InputFile is to be picked from /home/ProjectName/ftp_inputfiles/ Outputs are to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read inputs from a file

Hello; Please I need to read inputs from a file change 1 or 2 things the output to another file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting A Source File With User Inputs

I need to write what I thought would be a fairly simple 2-line UNIX script. It can be written PERL, csh, ksh...or whatever is easiest. The entire script will be: Begin Scipt source MySourceFile execute MyExecutable.exe End Script The problem is that MySourceFile can not be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MMorrison
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take 10 user inputs and output to file?

I want a script that will prompt a user to enter 10 numbers and out put them into a file. This what I have so far, but isn't working. I'm guessing it's something easy I'm not seeing. Thanks for any help. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Enter 10 numbers" for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do read .... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing user inputs into a file

Hi, Am trying to store the user inputs into a file, but the below code will store only the first line of the values. I need to store all the user input values which may contain one or more lines. Thanks in advance. echo "please enter file names"; read name; echo $name>/tmp/test (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting/Capturing inputs supplied in interactive script

Hello Is it possible to redirect standard input into a file in an interactive script like we do for standard out and input using &2 and &1. Enter source : hi Enter destination : bye In the log i can see like this when I am using script.sh 2>&1 | tee file Enter source : Enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
3 Replies
msgid(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 msgid(1M)

NAME
msgid - generate message IDs SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/msgid DESCRIPTION
The msgid utility generates message IDs. A message ID is a numeric identifier that, with a high probability, uniquely identifies a message. The probability of two distinct messages having the same ID is about one in a million. Specifically, the message ID is a hash signature on the message's unexpanded format string, generated by STRLOG_MAKE_MSGID() as defined in <sys/strlog.h>. syslogd(1M) is a simple filter that takes strings as input and produces those same strings, preceded by their message IDs, as output. Every message logged by syslogd(1M) includes the message ID. The message ID is intended to serve as a small, language-independent identifier. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using the msgid command to generate a message ID The following example uses the msgid command to generate a message ID for the echo command. example# echo hello | msgid 205790 hello Example 2: Using the msgid command to generate a message catalog The following example uses the msgid command to enumerate all of the messages in the binary ufs, to generate a message catalog. example# strings /kernel/fs/ufs | msgid 137713 free: freeing free frag, dev:0x%lx, blk:%ld, cg:%d, ino:%lu, fs:%s 567420 ialloccg: block not in mapfs = %s 845546 alloc: %s: file system full ... ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
syslogd(1M), attributes(5), log(7d) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 1998 msgid(1M)