Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers New User needing Help for upcoming job Post 100260 by cyberjax21 on Saturday 25th of February 2006 01:11:11 PM
Old 02-25-2006
Question New User needing Help for upcoming job

Hello All,

I'm applying for a new job in telecommunications and have been asked to learn unix and pearl scripting. I've got a copy of knoppix Linux 03. I at this point only know how to list files, create directories, change permissions. I was instructed to learn how to create files, basic navigation and some basic scripting. I've bought unix for dummies and 1/3 of the way through it now. I don't see anything yet about creating files... which i'm assuming is only done in vi... I would like to accomplish the following:
create a directory called Nortel
create a file called plmn_list
have the file look like this
npa nxx trkgrp carrier
505 440 1 sprint
808 255 3 mci
602 256 2 att
425 444 1 sprint

then the script I would like to write would ask me to enter a npa nxx and based on what I type tell me which carrier it's going through via looking up the table/file I created called plmn_lst.

I would also like a script that asks which carrier I want to look up and it display or output to another file all the npa nxx that are listed for that carrier.

Can anyone help?

Thank you!! Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

user unable to run at job

Aix version is 5.2. users are not able to run only at jobs. users are listed in at.allow file. Getting following Errors: at -l at: 0481-108 You are not authorized to use the at command. atq 0481-067 Cannot change to the /var/spool/cron/atjobs directory. at 24:10:00 pwd at:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bpsunadm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

First public beta of upcoming gawk 4.0 release

Hi (g)awk lovers, just spreading the news: the first beta is available and there are many new features. This is the original announce. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radoulov
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Is user cron job running in background?

Hi, Should the user jobs specified in crontab be running in background? Cron daemon is already running in background. So I am not sure whether should the jobs (output and error messages are redirected to file) ran by it be explicitly stated to be run in background (& at end of command) if one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe_x
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does running a cron job of a user require the user to be logged in?

Suppose user 'asdf' is not logged into server 'bbbb', but the server is up. User 'asdf' has cron job. Will it be executed? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change to NIS netgroup definition in upcoming Internet Draft

I'm considering the merits of slightly redefining the "domain" field in a NIS netgroup (the third field in the triple) to make it more useful, in a new Internet Draft that I am currently developing. Does anyone out there who uses NIS actually make use of the "domain" field? The places I've worked... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridge
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job for Fake User

There is a program that we (a company I'm working for) would like to run once per day, and the approach we're taking is to create a fake user to give a location to the data for this program, and to be the user running the program. For the sake of the discussion, let me call the fake user "bob". ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevendaryl
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Feedback wanted for upcoming script language

Hi I'm currently rewriting a project from install-required to a pure runtime form. The former had required the project name and the definition of the command as name, as they all become functions now, this could be shorter. As you might have figured, the project already exists in another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
IFWATCHD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       IFWATCHD(8)

NAME
ifwatchd -- watch for addresses added to or deleted from interfaces and call up/down-scripts for them SYNOPSIS
ifwatchd [-hiqv] [-A arrival-script] [-c carrier-script] [-D departure-script] [-d down-script] [-u up-script] [-n no-carrier-script] ifname(s) DESCRIPTION
ifwatchd is used to monitor dynamic interfaces (for example PPP interfaces) for address changes, and to monitor static interfaces for carrier changes. Sometimes these interfaces are accompanied by a daemon program, which can take care of running any necessary scripts (like pppd(8) or isdnd(8)), but sometimes the interfaces run completely autonomously (like pppoe(4)). ifwatchd provides a generic way to watch these types of changes. It works by monitoring the routing socket and interpreting 'RTM_NEWADDR' (address added), 'RTM_DELADDR' (address deleted) and 'RTM_IFINFO' (carrier detect or loss of carrier) messages. It does not need special privileges to do this. The scripts called for up or down events are run with the same user id as ifwatchd is run. The following options are available: -A arrival-script Specify the command to invoke on arrival of new interfaces (like PCMCIA cards). -c carrier-script Specify the command to invoke when the carrier status transitions from no carrier to carrier. -D departure-script Specify the command to invoke when an interface departs (for example a PCMCIA card is removed.) -d down-script Specify the command to invoke on ``interface down'' events (or: deletion of an address from an interface). -h Show the synopsis. -i Inhibit a call to the up-script on startup for all watched interfaces already marked up. If this option is not given, ifwatchd will check all watched interfaces on startup whether they are already marked up and, if they are, call the up-script with appropriate parameters. Additionally, if the interface is up and has a link, ifwatchd will run the carrier script. Since ifwatchd typically is started late in the system boot sequence, some of the monitored interfaces may already have come up when it finally starts, but their up-scripts have not been called. By default ifwatchd calls them on startup to account for this (and make the scripts easier.) -n no-carrier-script Specify the command to invoke when the carrier status transitions from carrier to no carrier. -q Be quiet and don't log non-error messages to syslog. -u up-script Specify the command to invoke on ``interface up'' events (or: addition of an address to an interface). -v Run in verbose debug mode and do not detach from the controlling terminal. Output verbose progress messages and flag errors ignored during normal operation. You do not want to use this option in /etc/rc.conf! ifname(s) The name of the interface to watch. Multiple interfaces may be specified. Events for other interfaces are ignored. EXAMPLES
# ifwatchd -u /etc/ppp/ip-up -d /etc/ppp/ip-down pppoe0 If your pppoe0 interface is your main connection to the internet, the typical use of the up/down scripts is to add and remove a default route. This is an example for an up script doing this: #! /bin/sh /sbin/route add default $5 /sbin/route add -inet6 default fe80::2 -iface ifp $1 As described below the fifth command line parameter will contain the peer address of the pppoe link. The corresponding ip-down script is: #! /bin/sh /sbin/route delete default $5 /sbin/route delete -inet6 default fe80::2 Note that this is not a good idea if you have pppoe0 configured to connect only on demand (via the link1 flag), but works well for all perma- nent connected cases. Use ! /sbin/route add default -iface 0.0.0.1 in your /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0 file in the on-demand case. The next example is for dhclient users. # ifwatchd -i -c /etc/dhcp/carrier-detect tlp0 With the above command, the carrier-detect script will be invoked when a carrier is detected on the interface tlp0. Note that the -i flag prevents any action based on the initial state. A script like the following should work for most users, although it will not work for machines with multiple interfaces running dhclient. #! /bin/sh # Arguments: ifname tty speed address destination # If there is a dhclient already running, kill it. # (This step could be put in a distinct no-carrier script, # if desired.) if [ -f /var/run/dhclient.pid ]; then /bin/kill `/bin/cat /var/run/dhclient.pid` fi # Start dhclient again on this interface /sbin/dhclient $1 PARAMETERS PASSED TO SCRIPTS
The invoked scripts get passed these parameters: ifname The name of the interface this change is for (this allows to share the same script for multiple interfaces watched and dispatch- ing on the interface name in the script). tty Dummy parameter for compatibility with pppd(8) which will always be /dev/null. speed Dummy parameter for compatibility with pppd(8) which will always be 9600. address The new address if this is an up event, or the no longer valid old address if this is a down event. The format of the address depends on the address family, for IPv4 it is the usual dotted quad notation, for IPv6 the colon sepa- rated standard notation. destination For point to point interfaces, this is the remote address of the interface. For other interfaces it is the broadcast address. ERRORS
The program logs to the syslog daemon as facility ``daemon''. For detailed debugging use the -v (verbose) option. SEE ALSO
pppoe(4), route(4), ifconfig.if(5), rc.d(8), route(8) HISTORY
The ifwatchd utility appeared in NetBSD 1.6. AUTHORS
The program was written by Martin Husemann <martin@NetBSD.org>. CAVEATS
Due to the nature of the program a lot of stupid errors can not easily be caught in advance without removing the provided facility for advanced uses. For example typing errors in the interface name can not be detected by checking against the list of installed interfaces, because it is possible for a pcmcia card with the name given to be inserted later. BSD
April 16, 2010 BSD