Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compress files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compress files Post 10004 by Perderabo on Tuesday 6th of November 2001 10:43:34 AM
Old 11-06-2001
compress *
will do it. The compress program will ignore any file that already has a .Z suffix.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress multiple files

Hi Friends, Can anyone help me out with compressing multiple files. I have multiple files in directory , I have to compress these into a single file, I tried using gzip -r outfile.gz file1 file2 file3. It is not working Thanks in advance for your help S :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress files

Hi All, I would like to archive some of the scripts below(USFINUM042006_01.CSV USFINUM042006_02.CSV and USFINUM042006_03.CSV )and also use a wildcard e.g. <command> USFINUM*.CSV. Also there are a lot of similar files but I want only the three latest files to be compressed. Which is the best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Compress files on NAS

Hello, I am having difficulty compressing the files using compress or GZIP utility on NAS share NFS mounted on my linux server. Any one have idea on how to do this ? I get the followign error but the trying to compress the files STRP2> compress STR_OUTBOUND_CDM_LOG_LOB.PRT2008_26.txt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamathg
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress multiple files at one go

I want to compress all the files which are three years older ..I have thousands of files... 1) This doesnt work find ./ -type f -mtime +1176 -print | xargs -n1 -i tar -cvf {} Errror tar: Missing filenames Probably because of - find ./ -type f -mtime -1 -print returns - " ./temp.txt"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find new files and compress them

Hi! First off I'd like to stress that I'm a true dummy :) I have a website with SSH access and since it has user generated content I want to backup my website every day end send it through FTP to a different server. I got it working for my mysql database, so the only thing remaining are the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark Wegener
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compress the log files

Hi, I have an application which creates the logs in a date wise. like, tomcat_access_log.2009-09-12.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-11.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-10.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-09.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-08.log tomcat_access_log.2009-09-07.logNow my requirement is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a particular month files

Hi ALL, I am working on a folder where there are lot of files for the past one year. I need to compress a particular month files alone. suppose i need to compress the feb month files alone, what is the script we can use. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acronis.84
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I compress all files in a directory?

the problem states "Write a script that compresses all the files in the directory. Make a directory and put some files in it. Also make a sub directory in your directory and put files in it also. Once you have this basic ability to compress all files within a directory, add to your script a menu of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Brittany
1 Replies
compress(1)							   User Commands						       compress(1)

NAME
compress, uncompress, zcat - compress, uncompress files or display expanded files SYNOPSIS
compress [-fv] [-b bits] [file...] compress [-cfv] [-b bits] [file] uncompress [-cfv] [file...] zcat [file...] DESCRIPTION
compress The compress utility will attempt to reduce the size of the named files by using adaptive Lempel-Ziv coding. Except when the output is to the standard output, each file will be replaced by one with the extension .Z, while keeping the same ownership modes, change times and mod- ification times. If appending the .Z to the file pathname would make the pathname exceed 1023 bytes, the command will fail. If no files are specified, the standard input will be compressed to the standard output. The amount of compression obtained depends on the size of the input, the number of bits per code, and the distribution of common sub- strings. Typically, text such as source code or English is reduced by 50-60%. Compression is generally much better than that achieved by Huffman coding (as used in pack(1)) and it takes less time to compute. The bits parameter specified during compression is encoded within the compressed file, along with a magic number to ensure that neither decompression of random data nor recompression of compressed data is subsequently allowed. uncompress The uncompress utility will restore files to their original state after they have been compressed using the compress utility. If no files are specified, the standard input will be uncompressed to the standard output. This utility supports the uncompressing of any files produced by compress. For files produced by compress on other systems, uncompress sup- ports 9- to 16-bit compression (see -b). zcat The zcat utility will write to standard output the uncompressed form of files that have been compressed using compress. It is the equiva- lent of uncompress -c. Input files are not affected. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Writes to the standard output; no files are changed and no .Z files are created. The behavior of zcat is identical to that of `uncompress -c'. -f When compressing, forces compression of file, even if it does not actually reduce the size of the file, or if the corresponding file.Z file already exists. If the -f option is not given, and the process is not running in the background, prompts to verify whether an existing file.Z file should be overwritten. When uncompressing, does not prompt for overwriting files. If the -f option is not given, and the process is not running in the background, prompts to verify whether an existing file should be over- written. If the standard input is not a terminal and -f is not given, writes a diagnostic message to standard error and exits with a status greater than 0. -v Verbose. Writes to standard error messages concerning the percentage reduction or expansion of each file. -b bits Sets the upper limit (in bits) for common substring codes. bits must be between 9 and 16 (16 is the default). Lowering the number of bits will result in larger, less compressed files. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of a file to be compressed by compress, uncompressed by uncompress, or whose uncompressed form is written to standard out by zcat. If file is -, or if no file is specified, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of compress, uncompress, and zcat when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of compress, uncompress, and zcat: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following error values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. 2 One or more files were not compressed because they would have increased in size (and the -f option was not specified). >2 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), pack(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Usage: compress [-fvc] [-b maxbits] [file... ] Invalid options were specified on the command line. Missing maxbits Maxbits must follow -b, or invalid maxbits, not a numeric value. file: not in compressed format The file specified to uncompress has not been compressed. file: compressed with xxbits, can only handle yybits file was compressed by a program that could deal with more bits than the compress code on this machine. Recompress the file with smaller bits. file: already has .Z suffix -- no change The file is assumed to be already compressed. Rename the file and try again. file: already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? Respond y if you want the output file to be replaced; n if not. uncompress: corrupt input A SIGSEGV violation was detected, which usually means that the input file is corrupted. Compression: xx.xx% Percentage of the input saved by compression. (Relevant only for -v.) - - not a regular file: unchanged When the input file is not a regular file, (such as a directory), it is left unaltered. - - has xx other links: unchanged The input file has links; it is left unchanged. See ln(1) for more information. - - file unchanged No savings are achieved by compression. The input remains uncompressed. filename too long to tack on .Z The path name is too long to append the .Z suffix. NOTES
Although compressed files are compatible between machines with large memory, -b 12 should be used for file transfer to architectures with a small process data space (64KB or less). compress should be more flexible about the existence of the .Z suffix. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 1999 compress(1)