Problems with Internet setup

Special Forums IP Networking Problems with Internet setup
# 1  
Old 02-23-2009
Problems with Internet setup

Hi,

I am using VMWARE and when I have the network connection set to NAT and the VM set to DHCP I get internet connection. But when I set the connection to BRIDGED and assign a static IP address I loose internet connection. I have used netconfig to manually assign the IP Address, GATEWAY, and netmask but nothing seems to work. It has been suggested that I modify some of the startup scripts as well but I have no idea which ones.

Any idea?
# 2  
Old 02-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman
Hi,

I am using VMWARE and when I have the network connection set to NAT and the VM set to DHCP I get internet connection. But when I set the connection to BRIDGED and assign a static IP address I loose internet connection. I have used netconfig to manually assign the IP Address, GATEWAY, and netmask but nothing seems to work. It has been suggested that I modify some of the startup scripts as well but I have no idea which ones.

Any idea?
It might be easier to help you if you post the output of network-related commands like ifconfig -a, route, and arp -a in both configurations so we can see what you are doing.
# 3  
Old 02-23-2009
Okay I know the problem I think

In ifconfig, two virtual ports etho:2 and etho:3 are being shown. THey have the wrong IP address. How can I change them?
# 4  
Old 02-23-2009
You change them with the ifconfig command.
# 5  
Old 02-23-2009
I am trying that.

WHen I enter:

ifconfig eth0:2 10.20.200.133 255.255.255.0

I get an error message.
# 6  
Old 02-23-2009
Upon reboot they revert back to a DHCP setting, how can I get them to stay according to my manual entries? Which system file do I need to edit? I am using Fedora Core 4
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

What is command to setup sofware in redhat over internet

Hi all, I setup redhat in VMware and I connected to internet, so I want setup sofware for redhat over internet what is command I used ? Are you understand my question, my ability of english is not good, such as I want setup dhcp packet I must used a command ? (yum... or...apt-get...or rpm... ?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilinux9
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Internet setup on Solaris 10

Hi all, I have setup Solaris 10 OS on my home Sparc (Blade 1500) box. I also setup CDE (Common Desktop Environment). The box has Network card with 6 connections available for Internet, So I hooked up a hard-wired link from my router to the first slot. The light is green on both ends. Now, how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve701
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 internet connection setup

I have a solaris 10 on my laptop. I want to let my internet work. Command: ifconfig -a Return: lo: ... e1000g0: ... I dont know what else to setup so when I open firefox, I have access to internet. Can anyone show me how to do the setting? Thanks a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dbahaha
1 Replies

4. SCO

problems with ftp without internet

Dear Friends, I have the following problem, when there is no internet does not work the ftp to the server, with the local network use a router for dhcp SCO OpenServer 6.0 terminals with windows 7 ftp client ftplite and also use ftp from ms-dos to do? regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Edgar Guevara
1 Replies

5. Solaris

internet setup for solaris on x86 platform

Hi all, i have configured my solaris 5 .10 for internet connection by editing the files /etc/hosts/,/etc/resolve.config,/etc/defalutrouter and nsswitchconfig . during installation i was not requested for ip adddress even i plugged network cable. am i need to install any network card... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

problems with internet connectivity

I had a strange problem.Recently, I virtualized my RHEL 5 system by installing Fedora 8 as guest operating system. The installation went fine. But, after installation my internet connection stopped working. Any suggestions?. I was on TataIndicom wireless USB modem. I haven't had any problems with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaghelp323
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Internet setup on solaris10

Hi all, Can anyone please tell me how to setup internet on solaris10, b72? I own an airtel broadband, with a beetel 220BXI modem. I am new to solaris so was wondering as to how it can be done? Thanks (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
23 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with Apache setup

I posted a problem with the forum on 11/18/02. Unfortunately, I have been out of town. Today is the first chance I've had to try the suggestions that were made. Here is the output from the ls -l configure* command: -rw-r--r-- 1root sys 58230 May 21 2002 configure When I type " sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with Apache setup

I downloaded Apache 1.3.27.tar.gz into my SCO u/install directory. However, to begin with, I couldn't untar the file using the " tar xvf apache-1.3.27.tar.gz" command, so I used winzip from a windows computer on our network. Winzip untarred the file and I transferred the files to the SCO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setup internet connection

HI.. i was wondering if someone out there can help me setup my internet connection.... i have no clue how to set it up.. could you please tell me step by step how to set it up.. i have a static ip, im using a cable modem to connect. my os is solaris 8. Please email me at lil_souldier@hotmail.com... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: souldier
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question