Script for grepping status

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script for grepping status
# 1  
Old 03-14-2010
Script for grepping status

I'm a newb so please be kind. I'm trying to write a script to check the status of a program running on a vncserver to know whether or not it has ended and if I need to restart the server. Here's what I've got and please I am a self taught scripter:

if [ ps ax | grep xterm | awk '{print $5}' = "xterm" ] then
serv-restart
fi

I've been searching and am not quite sure how to make work. Any hints or pointers is extremely appreciated.
# 2  
Old 03-14-2010
You can try :

Code:
if ps -ef | grep -q 'pattern_to_srch'
then
 echo "Available,";
else
 echo "Not available,  do retsart"
...restart logic...
fi

# 3  
Old 03-14-2010
pgrep can be your friend on Linux
# 4  
Old 03-14-2010
preliminary result are the pgrep will work perfectly. just have to do some testing. will let you know.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to track table status delete/update/insert status in DB2 V10 z/os?

Dear Team I am using DB2 v10 z/os database . Need expert guidance to figure out best way to track table activities ( Ex Delete, Insert,Update ) Scenario We have a table which is critical and many developer/testing team access on daily basis . We had instance where some deleted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a script based on status of embedded script

Hi, I have 2 scripts, first.ksh and second.ksh and would like first.ksh to run based on response of 'Y/y' received for second.ksh but in my case it continues to execute 'rm /tmp/list' irrespective of response received, below are my scripts with further info, Hope I'm making sense :) Thanks! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need output of script on screen and file with correct return status of the called script.

Hi, I am trying to capture logs of the script in the file as well as on the screen. I have used exec and tee command for this. While using exec command I am getting the correct output in the file but, script output is not getting displayed on the screen as it get executed. Below is my sample... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for continuously checking status of a another script running in background, and immedia

Hi, I want to write a script which continuously checking status of a script running in background by nohup command. And if same script is not running then immediately start the script...please help.. i am using below command to run script nohup system_traps.sh & but in some... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to email status

Hi, I have few processes in the server continuous run few jobs, each of the process will generate a log file which detailing when its jobs are completed. the logfile will has the name something like this, result1.log, result2.log, result3.log,.... result10.log, result11.log, result12.log.......... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loader Script Status

Hi I am running Sql Loader script in Unix Shell Script, I want to make shell script failure when Sql Loader script gives any warnings or failed. Please advise on this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cnrj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status of a command in nner script to the outer script?

Hi all, I have a shell script inside which i am executing another shell script. In the inner script im executing a command. i want the status of that command in the outer script to perform some validations. How to get its status please help!!1 Im using ksh. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Installing RedHat 8.0 onto Dell PowerEdge SC1425 - hdc: status error: status = 0x58

I have successfully installed RedHat 8.0 onto a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 today. This server has two SATA hard drives, and an IDE DVD-ROM drive. Using the following kernel parameters, i successfully installed across both hard drives from CD: ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 vga=791 resolution=1024x768 expert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishsponge
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't open status file /var/samba/STATUS.LCK

I believe i have most of samba configured right but i get this error each time time try to run it. I was given suggestion that i touch the file, i did, but i still cannot rid myself of this error. Any suggestions (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: macdonto
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question