Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: timestamp
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers timestamp Post 41574 by rocker40 on Wednesday 8th of October 2003 01:57:10 PM
Old 10-08-2003
timestamp

I am getting some error messages when I run [eerpt] I get messages that have been logged but can't tell what time or date they happened. It has a timestamp but not sure how to read it.
could you tell me how?

The rockmiester

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

timestamp

Hi! I would to change the timestamp of a file to 12 FEB 2007 00:00 on sun solaris 10. I used: touch filename -t 200702120000 but doesn' t work! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting timestamp?

How can i get current timestamp in bourne shell? I am waiting for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mercury
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion of different timestamp to standard timestamp

hi i need a scrit to convert one date format to another. for example i have three columns in a file which gets a different format, but lastly i want output with stadard timestamp as "yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss" column1 column2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dprakash
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a date field has date or timestamp or date&timestamp

Hi, In a field, I should receive the date with time stamp in a particular field. But sometimes the vendor sends just the date or the timestamp or correctl the date&timestamp. I have to figure out the the data is a date or time stamp or date&timestamp. If it is date then append "<space>00:00:00"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying files with a timestamp greater than a given timestamp

I need to be able to identify files with file timestamps greater than a given timestamp. I am using the following solution, although it appears to compare files at the "seconds" granularity and I need it at the milliseconds. When I tested my solution, it missed files that had timestamps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkm0brm
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX : Need to convert UNIX Timestamp to normal timestamp

Hello , I am working on AIX. I have to convert Unix timestamp to normal timestamp. Below is the file. The Unix timestamp will always be preceded by EFFECTIVE_TIME as first field as shown and there could be multiple EFFECTIVE_TIME in the file : 3.txt Contents of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp

So basically I have a log file and each line in this log file starts with a timestamp: MON DD HH:MM:SS SEP 15 07:30:01 I need to grep all the lines between last hour timestamp and current timestamp. Then these lines will be moved to a tmp file from which I will grep for particular strings. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies
SYSLOGD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SYSLOGD(8)

NAME
syslogd -- log systems messages SYNOPSIS
syslogd [-dnrSsTUv] [-b bind_address] [-f config_file] [-g group] [-m mark_interval] [-o output_format] [-P file_list] [-p log_socket [-p log_socket2 ...]] [-t chroot_dir] [-u user] DESCRIPTION
syslogd reads and logs messages to the system console, log files, other machines and/or users as specified by its configuration file. The options are as follows: -b bind_address Specify one specific IP address or hostname to bind to. If a hostname is specified, the IPv4 or IPv6 address which corre- sponds to it is used. -d Enable debugging to the standard output, and do not disassociate from the controlling terminal. -f config_file Specify the pathname of an alternative configuration file; the default is /etc/syslog.conf. -g group Set GID to group after the sockets and log files have been opened. -m mark_interval Select the number of minutes between ``mark'' messages; the default is 20 minutes. -n Do not perform hostname lookups; report only numeric addresses. -o output_format Select output message format. rfc3164 traditional BSD Syslog format (default) syslog new syslog-protocol format -P Specify the pathname of a file containing a list of sockets to be created. The format of the file is simply one socket per line. -p log_socket Specify the pathname of a log socket. Multiple -p options create multiple log sockets. If no -p arguments are created, the default socket of /var/run/log is used. -r Disable the compression of repeated instances of the same line into a single line of the form ``last message repeated N times''. -S Sync kernel messages to disk immediately. -s Select ``secure'' mode, in which syslogd does not listen on a UDP socket but only communicates over a UNIX domain socket. This is valuable when the machine on which syslogd runs is subject to attack over the network and it is desired that the machine be protected from attempts to remotely fill logs and similar attacks. -t chroot_dir chroot(2) to chroot_dir after the sockets and log files have been opened. -T Always use the local time and date for messages received from the network, instead of the timestamp field supplied in the message by the remote host. This is useful if some of the originating hosts can't keep time properly or are unable to gen- erate a correct timestamp. -u user Set UID to user after the sockets and log files have been opened. -U Unique priority logging. Only log messages at the priority specified by the selector in the configuration file. Without this option, messages at the specified priority or higher are logged. This option changes the default priority comparison from '>=' to '='. -v Verbose logging. If specified once, the numeric facility and priority are logged with each locally-written message. If specified more than once, the names of the facility and priority are logged with each locally-written message. syslogd reads its configuration file when it starts up and whenever it receives a hangup signal. For information on the format of the con- figuration file, see syslog.conf(5). syslogd reads messages from the UNIX domain socket /var/run/log, from an Internet domain socket specified in /etc/services, and from the spe- cial device /dev/klog (to read kernel messages). syslogd creates the file /var/run/syslogd.pid, and stores its process id there. This can be used to kill or reconfigure syslogd. By using multiple -p options, one can set up many chroot environments by passing the pathname to the log socket (/var/run/log) in each chroot area to syslogd. For example: syslogd -p /var/run/log -p /web/var/run/log -p /ftp/var/run/log Note: the normal log socket must now also be passed to syslogd. The logged message includes the date, time, and hostname (or pathname of the log socket). Commonly, the program name and the process id is included. The date and time are taken from the received message. If the format of the timestamp field is incorrect, time obtained from the local host is used instead. This can be overridden by the -T flag. Accesses from UDP socket can be filtered by libwrap configuration files, like /etc/hosts.deny. Specify ``syslogd'' in daemon_list portion of the configuration files. Refer to hosts_access(5) for details. SYSLOG PROTOCOL NOTES syslogd accepts messages in traditional BSD Syslog or in newer Syslog Protocol format. See RFC 3164 (BSD Syslog) and RFC 5424 (Syslog Proto- col) for detailed description of the message format. Messages from the local kernel that are not tagged with a priority code receive the default facility LOG_KERN and priority LOG_NOTICE. All other untagged messages receive the default facility LOG_USER and priority LOG_NOTICE. FILES
/etc/syslog.conf The configuration file. /var/run/syslogd.pid The process id of current syslogd. /var/run/log Name of the UNIX domain datagram log socket. /dev/klog The kernel log device. SEE ALSO
logger(1), syslog(3), services(5), syslog.conf(5), newsyslog(8) The BSD syslog Protocol, RFC, 3164, August 2001. The Syslog Protocol, RFC, 5424, March 2009. HISTORY
The syslogd command appeared in 4.3BSD. Support for multiple log sockets appeared in NetBSD 1.4. libwrap support appeared in NetBSD 1.6. BSD
October 15, 2009 BSD