Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display result one page at a time Post 39982 by nelamvr6 on Saturday 6th of September 2003 11:44:51 AM
Old 09-06-2003
Additionally you can use "less" and "more" without a pipe.

Say for example that you wanted to read a large text file called "bigfile", you could either enter "more bigfile" or "less bigfile" (without the quotes of course).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

display result from user input

how can i only display the result according to user input? For example: i have a data file(in the attachement), when the user enter "1" it will only display whole records with pid from the data file matches to the users entered. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: thms_sum
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display the result of wc -l with words before and after the result

hello showrev -p | wc -l returns: 381 What to do in case I want to have this output: number of lines returned by showrev -p is: 381 thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script to search for files and display result

Hello all. I'm a long time browser, first time poster...Be gentle :-) I don't use csh much, but have been asked to make a small script for our HP-UX systems to search for a report file(s) or summary file and display the result (I was using vuepad, but this probably is just complicating... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neillsm
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display command output page per page

Good afternoon, I wonder how i could use unix commands to ease the reading of long command result output ? like the "php -i" or any other command that returns a long answer. I could not find the right terms to Google it or search the forum. Therefore I bother you with this question. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mat_k
3 Replies

5. Web Development

Page load time- local page

Hi Is there a way to calculate the page load time, I am trying to calculate the load time of a page locally. I found tools to do this over http or https but none that work locally. Any ideas? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to display result in table

My script gives the following result. Is it possible to display the same in table format ? 1. rex_best Latest feeds are not avaialable. The last feed was generated on 2012-05-17 File Name = ekb_best_20120517_010949_665.tar.gz The Number of entry elements = 4209539 2. rex_genre Latest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorekumar87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse file and display result based on text

I am trying using awk to open an input file and check a column 2/field $2 and if there is a warning then that is displayed (variantchecker): G not found at position 459, found A instead. The attached Sample1.txt is that file. If in that column/field there is a black space, then the text after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute command and show result in web page

Hi everyone, I have two question 1- I want to execute command in shell and after execution result show in a web server. (kind of making UI ) e.g. in shell root ~: show list item1 item2 item(n)in web server in a page draw a table and show those items in itno | name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
1 Replies
fold(1) 							   User Commands							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - filter for folding lines SYNOPSIS
fold [-bs] [-w width | -width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fold utility is a filter that will fold lines from its input files, breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions (or bytes, if the -b option is specified). Lines will be broken by the insertion of a NEWLINE character such that each output line (referred to later in this section as a segment) is the maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of column positions (or bytes). A line will not be broken in the middle of a character. The behavior is undefined if width is less than the number of columns any single character in the input would occupy. If the CARRIAGE-RETURN, BACKSPACE, or TAB characters are encountered in the input, and the -b option is not specified, they will be treated specially: BACKSPACE The current count of line width will be decremented by one, although the count never will become negative. fold will not insert a NEWLINE character immediately before or after any BACKSPACE character. CARRIAGE-RETURN The current count of line width will be set to 0. fold will not insert a NEWLINE character immediately before or after any CARRIAGE-RETURN character. TAB Each TAB character encountered will advance the column position pointer to the next tab stop. Tab stops will be at each column position n such that n modulo 8 equals 1. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -b Counts width in bytes rather than column positions. -s If a segment of a line contains a blank character within the first width column positions (or bytes), breaks the line after the last such blank character meeting the width constraints. If there is no blank character meeting the requirements, the -s option will have no effect for that output segment of the input line. -w width|-width Specifies the maximum line length, in column positions (or bytes if -b is specified). If width is not a positive decimal number, an error is returned. The default value is 80. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: file A path name of a text file to be folded. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Submitting a file of possibly long lines to the line printer An example invocation that submits a file of possibly long lines to the line printer (under the assumption that the user knows the line width of the printer to be assigned by lp(1)): example% fold -w 132 bigfile | lp ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fold: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were processed successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cut(1), pr(1), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
fold and cut(1) can be used to create text files out of files with arbitrary line lengths. fold should be used when the contents of long lines need to be kept contiguous. cut should be used when the number of lines (or records) needs to remain constant. fold is frequently used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than fold, lines wider than the printer is able to print (usually 80 or 132 column positions). fold may not work correctly if underlining is present. SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 fold(1)